25 Replies, 1,892 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Big Studios Cutting Losses, Pulling Flops From Theaters Earlier Than Usual

Showbiz 411 has the story.

Quote:
It’s a bizarre season in Hollywood. Almost nothing is “working,” and the studios can’t afford to waste any more money hoping things will turn around. They’re pulling flops from theaters earlier than usual.

This weekend, for example, Warner Bros. is putting out a white flag on “Blade Runner” after three tough weeks. They’ve cut the number of theaters showing Denis Villeneuve’s beautiful film by 855. So far, “Blade Runner” has made just $66 million. Audiences have not clamored to it. And now, week by week, Warners will quietly take it away.

Warner’s isn’t alone. Universal is pulling Tom Cruise’s “American Made” from 539 locations after a month in release. The Doug Liman directed thriller has made just $43 million. Good reviews haven’t helped push Cruise fans to theaters. One problem was lack of promotion since Cruise wasn’t available. Also, audiences may have just soured on him after “The Mummy” and other flops. With both studios, it wasn’t for lack of trying.

The biggest decease (de-crease, but pun intended here) is for the revived “Flatliners.” With just $16 million in the till, Sony would be better off paying people to see this turkey. They’re retreating from 1,433 theaters this weekend, leaving “Flatliners” to breathe on its own. It will be completely dead by Sunday.

Also just about dead is the much praised “Battle of the Sexes,” Fox Searchlight couldn’t get anyone to go see it despite great reviews and excellent marketing. I’m actually dumbfounded that it’s made just $11 million. FS is killing off 849 screens. Ouch! And “Battle” was supposed to yield some awards action.

Warner’s, meantime, is facing more trouble than the other studios. Their “Geostorm” is going to be a disaster this weekend. And their “Lego Ninja” movie is leaving 951 theaters after $52 million and five weeks. Better to get out while they can.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Wow. These late summer movies all bombed out big time. I wonder how Thor and Jigsaw will do?
Old 10-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

I thought the movie was pretty good, not great.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I wonder if its because they charge $18 to see it at the theatre and people can just pay the same digital amount to wait and own it?
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

I think we're headed for a pretty radical realignment regarding theatrical releases. Combine the fact that so many of these movies suck (predictable stories, poorly acted), with the generally crappy environment of most theaters (rude audience, lines, overpriced popcorn and no beer or wine, rising prices) and the increasingly large disconnect between loudly outspoken liberal entertainers with many of their more moderate and/or conservative fans, and you're getting a perfect storm primed to cause Hollywood pain.

I've been going a lot more because of MoviePass, but most of what I've seen has been crap so far, frankly, and I wouldn't have missed anything missing most of these films.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

If theaters want us back they can only do one thing: Provide low cost child care/babysitting during the movie! Ticket sales would probably skyrocket.
All they'd have to do is convert one theater into a child care center.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
If theaters want us back they can only do one thing: Provide low cost child care/babysitting during the movie! Ticket sales would probably skyrocket.
Ya I litterally see about 2 movies a year now because of my two young kids.
Skunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Stream at home, day one. That is what we want. We used to go to the movies all of the time, but technology has caught up.

We are DINK's, we spend most of our free time and money having fun in real life.

BTW, we love theaters that provide real dinners and hard drinks. We do not mind spending $100+ on our date nights.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
wunshot
Subscriber

For what it's worth I really liked American Made and Blade Runner. Blade Runner could have shaved off about 30 minutes by telling the actors to walk a little faster, but otherwise I thought it was a good film.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
That's actually a really interesting idea that I've never heard of before.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Ikea already does this. It works. Very well.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
DingBat
Evil Dead

Meh. It's not the lack of daycare or dinner or drinks that keeps people away. It's the lack of good movies. Fix that and the rest will take care of itself.

I go to the theater for most of the big super hero and sci-fi movies, but even so today that means maybe 6 times a year. Back in the 90's I'd be going at least twice a month. Maybe more.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Honestly... my 60 4K HDTV with full 7.1 surround sound is better than almost any other theater...

and I can pause the movie to go pee.

Maybe the future is digital the same weekend of release. That's what I want as a consumer.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
Meh. It's not the lack of daycare or dinner or drinks that keeps people away. It's the lack of good movies. Fix that and the rest will take care of itself.

I go to the theater for most of the big super hero and sci-fi movies, but even so today that means maybe 6 times a year. Back in the 90's I'd be going at least twice a month. Maybe more.
It didn't cost an arm and a leg back in the 90's either. Last night I took my daughter to Blade Runner and it was $24 for tickets and $27 for popcorn, candy and drinks. That's a grip of cash for a dad and his kid to see a flick.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Digital Day and Date would be nice. They already have that for rich folks; for $35,000 + $500 - $600 per movie. As usual what the rich have will eventually make it to us plebs.

But I think movies are too expensive to make and too expensive to see. I'd say they aren't necessarily *bad* movies but the studio model of the blockbuster carrying the rest of the year is failing when budgets for even nominal movies is reaching the $200m range.

If there is a change it will be similar to how most other entertainment has been made: offshoring and union busting. I can see Hollywood studios going the way of the dodo and everything moving overseas where they don't have to pay the Union wages of $150 an hour. Hell, already many movies are being underwritten and produced in part by Asian companies. If you wait till the end of Wonder Woman you'll see Tencent (a name which shouldn't be unfamiliar to gamers) as a partner in the movie.

I can see actor salaries dropping. It might be time to recalibrate.

That doesn't change the cost of the visit though, even if the movies cost less they are still going to bend you over at the theater. These days, after having seen a bunch of movies in the theater this Summer with concessions, I'm not sure it was worth the $1,000 or so except for a few that let me avoid spoilers.

Blu-ray and microwave popcorn for me from now on. Even Movie Pass is probably more than I'm willing to spend with gas and lines and all that other crap.

I'll still see event movies but I think I'm back to Netflix to fill in time between releases. Of course maybe one of their biggest mistakes was the short movie to blu-ray/dvd release window. Back in VHS it trended longer so it was more important to get into the theater. I don't think we had Star Wars on VHS forever after the movies left the theaters.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Even Movie Pass is probably more than I'm willing to spend with gas and lines and all that other crap.
Then you're cheap or bad at math!

$10/month for a movie a day, every day, all month long. If you see ONE movie you got your money's worth. Any more than that and you're getting a deal.

The only problem now for me is that there just aren't that many good movies to see. So much crap. I have about seven or eight to see over the next two months. None of the others are at all enticing. So that's eight movies for twenty bucks. A deal, and I don't buy the overpriced popcorn and soda. I carry in some candy.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 AM   #17
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

For me it's the price. Forget all the other things like drinks and snacks, as you're NOT forced to buy them, so it's down to price. See it on a big screen and walk away or possibly own the damn thing on blu-ray after 6 months for around £4?

Plus many films simply aren't that flashy. At a younger age it all seemed so special, along with the amazing movie posters (mainly James Bond stuff). Too many films are hitting the cinema which should really just be a DVD/BD release.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Then you're cheap or bad at math!

$10/month for a movie a day, every day, all month long. If you see ONE movie you got your money's worth. Any more than that and you're getting a deal.
For one person right? I have a theater right down the road from me. I thought about doing this. Just for something to do and a reason to play some arcade games. Plus they serve beer there.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
For one person right?
Here's how it works, as tl; dr as possible:

Must have smartphone app installed and with you.
Must have MoviePass Mastercard from them.
No 3D or IMAX films.
Theater must participate (ALL of mine do).

Within 100 ft of theater, click on movie/time you want. Message comes up "you have 30 minutes to purchase your ticket." Buy your ticket with their credit card. They pay the bill.

You pay $10/month. The first billing is right away. The card can take a month to get to you, but they won't bill for a second month until 30 days after the first time you use the card.

One ticket per phone/account each day. Two or more accounts will NOT work on a single phone. That's it!

My wife and I are both members now (cards in hand), and my oldest daughter decided to do it herself as well. It's pretty freaking awesome and no-lose. See one movie, you've broken even. The rest is free theater viewing! ALL MONTH.

I need a commission from these guys, lol...I keep pushing it.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #20
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

I think they could move to a model where if you buy a ticket you also get a link to download when it becomes available (not immediately, when it comes out on DVD).
I think it adds more value, you'd still have to buy DVD or Blu Ray if that's your preference and it wouldn't freeze out theater owners.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hollywood