US State Senator Calls...
Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 02:58 PM
26 Replies, 2,483 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #141
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The Wall Street Journal (Paula Marantz Cohen): There’s No Virtue in Joining an Angry Mob

Quote:
The condemnations of Harvey Weinstein’s egregious behavior have become a deluge. We’ve seen this before—an ever-increasing tirade against a once-respected figure. It is as though we’ve learned the habit of outrage and feel obliged to be even more dramatically horrified than we were the last time this kind of news was revealed.

Woody Allen, admittedly a dubious judge, has been lambasted for warning against a witch hunt. But Mr. Weinstein can be guilty and still be the object of what looks like a hypocritical hunger for blood. Where were all these people who now say they were aware of his behavior a year, a decade, a quarter-century ago? Too afraid to speak up then but empowered to do so now when there is a chorus to back them up. It’s more like a lynch mob than a witch hunt. A lynch mob is still a lynch mob, even when its target is guilty.

The problem here goes beyond Harvey Weinstein. It is a symptom of a kind of responsiveness that has permeated this country on many levels and on many fronts. When the media becomes judge and jury, groupthink sets in and the mob expresses its indignation. No one is allowed to doubt or to express sympathy.

In the case of Mr. Weinstein, a man once lauded for his artistic taste and enjoyed for his crude but refreshing New Yorker manners is now the most egregiously horrible individual who ever lived, reduced overnight from a mogul into a monster—though at the same time we are told that everyone really knew what he was all along. Meanwhile, the media continues to relay one prurient detail after another, feeding the public’s maw for gossip, while allowing us to indulge in high-minded outrage.

There is something deeply worrisome about this kind of flattening process, both for what it says about those who never spoke up until now and for what it says about our inability to grasp the complexity of the human condition. We wonder about trolling on the internet, but our press encourages this in its tabloid-style piling on of reporting—in its inability to contextualize or restrain itself in the face of the public appetite for more of the same.

The Weinstein case has its correlative in the political arena. On both sides of the political spectrum, we seem driven by a need for dramatic outrage that masquerades as virtue. Once a case has been made in the public sphere, on whichever side, the case gets made again and again in increasingly simplistic terms. Any attempt to see around or outside the established scenario means that you are a bad person. The deadening, coercive nature of this kind of thinking is disturbing.

I am upset by what is happening in our country today. I don’t like the mean-spirited way our president behaves and expresses himself. I don’t like the way much of the press, both on the right and the left, seems intent on smug, simplistic reporting. I don’t like the way gestures, such as showing exuberance or seeming disrespect on the football field, have been blown up to mean something more or other than they should.

I don’t like the way some college students have become self-righteous know-it-alls, claiming to be traumatized by words and texts. And I don’t like the way many teachers have been made to feel they must toe a party line and walk on eggshells. This is not the way to nurture democracy, fairness and human compassion.

Get Harvey Weinstein out of the newspapers and into the courts. If convicted, punish him as the law requires, but remember that he, like all of us, is a human being. We have forgotten this about anyone who has been labeled our opposition, and this has made us a meaner and ultimately more dangerous country.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #142
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Fox News: Woman claims Roman Polanski molested her at age 10; wants him kicked out of Academy
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #143
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Neogaf forum is dead after sexual assault allegations on it’s founder/mods. And there was much rejoicing
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #144
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Neogaf forum is dead after sexual assault allegations on it’s founder/mods. And there was much rejoicing
Yeah, there's a SJW meltdown going on at Neogaf.

http://archive.fo/tKRxo

https://twitter.com/Supperdude9/stat...55505634615299
Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #145
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Neogaf is giving 503 lol. The escapist is dying as well. I guess gamers weren’t their audience lol
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #146
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Well, those people from Gaff that want to talk about games are welcome here!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #147
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
The Wall Street Journal (Paula Marantz Cohen): There’s No Virtue in Joining an Angry Mob
Fuck this piece of shit. He'; trying to do damage control. Him and people like him created this mob and now he wants to be reasonable?
Old 10-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #148
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
OMG, i love this. That site is so censored and full of legitimate left wing shills. I would love to see it burn. The left really is everything they claim everyone else is...

The first time i ran into that site i clicked on a thread about scantily clad video game characters. Comments after comment about how wrong it was and was demeaing to women. I thought i had stumbled on a christian gaming board, i quickly found out what was what but for a bit there i was impressed.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #149
blackzc
Evil Dead

Cory Feldmen just arrested on a drug charge. A couple days ago he tweeted he was going to find a safe way to name names.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #150
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
If the person indicated in the NeoGaf accusation in Malka then this man is a long time offender. I remember several years ago, when Gamergate was in it's heyday, there were several reports trying to point out the sexual harassment, assault, and worse that was perpetrated by some of the most vocal and virulent anti-gamergate personalities including this guy.

All to no avail because the air cover given to those in the "righteous" side against the evil, misogynist, phobic gamers.

Let's see if the ball can keep rolling on some of the other confessed perverts (like confessed pedo Sarah Nyberg).

Oh, hey, authorities! Lena Dunham admitted to molesting her sister in a best selling autobiography. Can we get some action there?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #151
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Can we get some action there?
Choice of verbiage...hilariously inappropriate!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #152
Mojopin
Evil Dead

It's really a shame this site is such a sausage fest, you guys are making some good points. Especially about how men in Hollywood are abused but no ones talking about it. If a few women were here, this discussion would probably be on point barring the Breitbart crowd.
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #154
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojopin View Post
It's really a shame this site is such a sausage fest, you guys are making some good points. Especially about how men in Hollywood are abused but no ones talking about it. If a few women were here, this discussion would probably be on point barring the Breitbart crowd.
Why does gender matter? Abuse is abuse. If it were conservatives in question you pussies would be all over it like flies on shit. Instead? Near silence.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #155
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's really a shame this site is such a sausage fest
You and Chimpbot are here more than filling the quota for HUMONGOUS PUSSY.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #156
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Especially about how men in Hollywood are abused but no ones talking about it. If a few women were here, this discussion would probably be on point barring the Breitbart crowd.
Perhaps. I remember someone bringing their wife (a military Dr. who performed fitness evals) in once to talk about female fitness tests in the military and not getting a great reaction for reasons best not rehashed. So unfortunately generally not a lot of females around to give a perspective of what they might see in the way of harassment and if it's really common in our circles. Anecdotally most women in tech will probably tell you they are more held on a pedestal. I know all the women I've worked with in STEM have been treated generally exceptionally well, especially somewhat attractive ones, because they are rare. Very attractive ones are given even more deference because they are Unicorns.

But I think it would be more important to have people who have been in the position of harassment of any gender to help illuminate the problem.

Right now no issues seem to be being addressed very few names are being released meaning there are problems with credibility, and no real cultural changes being made or even suggested after 3 weeks of some horrific allegations.

This is frustrating because it's led to what we're seeing right now: "Believe first no verification needed" and a lot of females using their pulpit of #MeToo more like #WoeIsMe again without moving forward beyond telling their story. No names, no progress. As mentioned male harassment is being minimized probably, frankly, because it can be and men aren't great victims. I suspect the ratio is 1:100 male to female victim.

What bothers me the most is the pedo problem is not being addressed AT ALL. It seems the priorities are mixed up.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #157
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
WTF is this neogaf style shit? You scared of some cock bro? Are you gay?

Your a shill aren't you?
Old 10-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #158
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Seriously what is this shit? What are you trying to do here?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #159
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

My stance has been women need to name names and if they haven't they've been complicit. In some ways with #MeToo I feel there will never be a better time for women, men, and children to do so. There will likely never be an event in the near or mid- future where accusations will be taken so seriously.

However, I retract any statement about how women, men, and children (who are now women and men) didn't speak up and are therefore accomplices. I don't have any experience, all I can do is rail at what happened NOW after 20 years of evil. If the first person, or second person had said something what might have happened?

In all these cases why didn't some actress or actor who had been victimized but later gained enormous influence say something and drive out whatever pervert it was?

But that's all hindsight. I read this article a while ago and digested it. I realize this isn't a realistic position to hold. It isn't something I've had to seriously face in my adult life so it's easy to be righteous, especially against people I'm already inclined to dislike because it shows the man behind the curtain and how fake their moral grandstanding really is.

That said I still believe in the closing of the article. I believe you LISTEN. That doesn't mean you necessarily BELIEVE. Obviously there is nuance.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #160
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
You and Chimpbot are here more than filling the quota for HUMONGOUS PUSSY.
You keep calling me that, but you never bother to come out and say why.

Until you do, you're nothing more than just another bag of wind with nothing of real substance to say.

Tags
batfleck, ben affleck, harvey weinstein, hollywood