45 Replies, 2,782 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Intel Core i7-8700K and i5-8400 Reviews "Coffee Lake Brews A Great Gaming CPU"

Tom's Hardware:

Quote:
Despite a few missteps, Core i7-8700K lives up to Intel’s claims. While it doesn't beat the -7700K by a massive margin, the Coffee Lake flagship does deliver better performance in stock and overclocked form. Of course, adding a Z370 motherboard and competent cooler knocks you over the $400 mark, so be ready to pay for that privilege.

Value-seekers have to be asking if Core i7-8700K's price tag is even worth paying, then. After all, you can get Ryzen 7 1800X-class performance out of an overclocked Ryzen 7 1700 for $300 or less. But based on our matrix, Coffee Lake gives you the best performance (furthest to the right) without getting too crazy on price. We're naturally wondering how Core i5-8600K will fare. For now, though, Core i7-8700K is the gaming CPU to own.
AnandTech:

Quote:
We finally have six-core processors on Intel’s mainstream platform, which has driven up the core counts (and frequencies) of the company's low and mid-range processors. For anyone looking at building a system in the last 6-12 months, they should be able to build an equivalent with the latest-generation processor for $50-$100 less. Or spend the same and get a few more cores to play with. The last time we had this situation was a decade ago, and hopefully it won’t take another decade to happen again.
PC Gamer:

Quote:
Looking at the big picture, there are now three primary candidates in the $200 CPU market: Core i5-8400, Ryzen 5 1600, and Ryzen 5 1500X. For gaming purposes, Core i5-8400 is definitely the way to go, delivering 25-35 percent better performance than the Ryzen 5 parts. But that's with a high-end graphics card, so if you're going with a mainstream GPU the gap will be much smaller. In application performance, Intel also comes out ahead of both Ryzen 5 parts, something that wasn't at all true of the previous i5-7400/i5-7500 offerings.

That makes the Core i5-8400 the best overall processor in the mainstream market. It's just a damn shame you don't even have the option of upgrading an existing Z270 system with the Coffee Lake parts, but it's still an excellent value and well worth considering. Intel is more generous this round in both core counts and clockspeeds, mostly because it had to be in order to come out on top. With renewed competition from AMD in the CPU market, we can only hope that 2018 will continue to give us more dramatic improvements in CPU performance, at a price that won't make us flinch.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

Looking good. I may finally have the excuse I needed to move up from my i7-2600K I bought more than 5 fucking years ago.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Looking good. I may finally have the excuse I needed to move up from my i7-2600K I bought more than 5 fucking years ago.
I'm due as well.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

I have an i7-2600 with a GTX 950 and it does the job. Would like to upgrade but my six kids' upgrade needs come first (braces, lol...6K a pop!), as does car repair.

PC gaming isn't expensive unless you want it to be.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I'm not sure I'd buy into this Gen from Intel. I heard you have to buy into a 370 chips to run Coffee Lake and on top of that the next gen, due in less than a year, won't run on 370 at all but a newer chipset.

Do your research before buying!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I'm not sure I'd buy into this Gen from Intel. I heard you have to buy into a 370 chips to run Coffee Lake and on top of that the next gen, due in less than a year, won't run on 370 at all but a newer chipset.

Thanks, im thinking about building soon, but im not in any hurry. These processors last forever now. I've got a 3 year old GTX 970 and an AMD 8350 and it does just about everything i ask it to at 1080p.

I am buying Intel next go around but i hope AMD keeps puts putting the pressure on them. They dropped their prices because of Ryzen apparently.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Thanks, im thinking about building soon, but im not in any hurry. These processors last forever now. I've got a 3 year old GTX 970 and an AMD 8350 and it does just about everything i ask it to at 1080p.

I am buying Intel next go around but i hope AMD keeps puts putting the pressure on them. They dropped their prices because of Ryzen apparently.
Next Gen Intel will face off against Ryzen 2. I guess it was a stroke of genius to put multiple chips on the chipset connected with a super fast bus in the Thread ripper release. Because of this, Intel will have trouble keeping up because with smaller die shrinks AMD can just keep adding cores, whereas Intel's larger, more single-core focused chips just can't add like that. It will be interesting to see how Intel handles Zen's incredible scalabilty with Ryzen 2.

It very well could release with 16 cores!

Last edited by brandonjclark; 10-06-2017 at 09:25 PM..
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Next Gen Intel will face off against Ryzen 2. I guess it was a stroke of genius to put multiple chips on the chipset connected with a super fast bus in the Thread ripper release. Because of this, Intel will have trouble keeping up because with smaller die shrinks AMD can just keep adding cores, whereas Intel's larger, more single-core focused chips just can't add like that. It will be interesting to see how Intel handles Zen's incredible scalabilty with Ryzen 2.

From 2004:
https://software.intel.com/sites/def...1/Tera_Era.pdf
Quote:
Power:
Power density is increasing at a rate that implies that tens of thousands of watts per centimeter (w/cm2) will be needed to scale the performance of Pentium® processor architecture over the next several years. But that would produce more heat than the surface of the sun. The Power
Exponent is setting hard limits to frequency increases.

Memory Latency:
Memory speeds are not increasing as quickly as logic speeds. During the i486™ CPU days, the requirements were 6-to-8 clocks per cycle to access memory. Today’s Pentium processors require 224 clocks, about a 20x increase. These wasted clock cycles can nullify the benefits of frequency increases in the processor.

RC Delay:
RC (resistance-capacitance) delays on chip are become increasingly challenging, as well. As feature size decreases, the delay due to RC is increasing. In 65nm and smaller nodes, the delay
caused by a one millimeter RC delay is actually longer than a clock cycle. Intel chips are typically in the 10-to-12 millimeter range, taking 15 clock cycles of delay to go from one corner of the die to the other, again negating many of the benefits of frequency gains.

Scalar Performance:
Experiments with frequency increases of various architectures such as
superscalar, CISC (complex instruction set computing), and RISC (reduced instruction set computing) are not encouraging. As frequency increases, instructions per clock actually trend down, illustrating the limitations of concurrency at the instruction level.

From 2007 CompuerWorld story:
80 core processor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97uSsjjoSNM

From 2012 FAQ:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...r-architecture
Quote:
Through Intel’s ongoing research and development efforts at Intel, the doubling of transistors every couple of years has been maintained for forty years. But scaling out could not continue indefinitely because of several, less-friendly laws of physics. A 1993-era Intel Pentium Processor had around 3 million transistors, while today’s Intel® Itanium® 2 processor has nearly 1 billion transistors. If this rate continued, Intel processors would soon be producing more heat per square centimeter than the surface of the sun-which is why the problem of heat is already setting hard limits to frequency increases. These challenges and others- power, memory latency, resistance-capacitance (RC) delay and scalar performance – are described in the 2004 Technology@Intel Magazine story titled, “Architecting the Era of Tera.” [PDF 298KB].
Old 10-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

How much is AMD paying you to shill for them?
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
MadMurdock_0311
Reaper

I just built my main rig earlier this year, i7-7700K, GTX 1080 Ti FTW3. So, I won't be upgrading to Covfefe Lake. I also built a Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1070 mITX system for the living room.

Dumped way too much money into a custom loop setup yesterday (eek)... parts should arrive in a few weeks. This will be my first custom loop in over 12 years. Back then it was a Koolance system, and complete overkill for an Athlon XP rig.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
And how much is MS paying you to shit on every single Nintendo thread ever?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #12
MadMurdock_0311
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Quote:
Can both of you give me your contacts? I want to get paid to shill.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Man I need to renegotiate I didn't even get a free Xbone outta the deal!
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I want to know where the fuck "Coffee Lake" came from. That's the dumbest name I've ever heard.

Also, just goes to prove Nvidia's point. If you have a proc from 5+ years ago this MIGHT be an upgrade. Someone with a videocard 5 years old is definitely feeling pain, a 5 y/o CPU? Not so much.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #15
Zane
Evil Dead

Quote:

Chips last so long now that by the time you need to upgrade again you're going to be buying a new motherboard regardless.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intel