Xbox Game Pass Expands...
Last post by shadow763
Yesterday 10:15 AM
2 Replies, 325 Views

Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PUBG Performs Badly on Xbox One and Xbox One X

The Digital Foundry at Eurogamer has the not surprising news, to anyone familiar with the PC version.

Quote:
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is - without question - the biggest game in the world right now, so Microsoft's current console exclusivity for the title is obviously a big deal. Equally without question is that the PC game is notorious for its work-in-progress visuals and wobbly performance. With that in mind, some might say that it's somewhat miraculous that any playable version of PUBG is possible on a console right now. From another perspective though, what's clear is that the current build of the game is a long way short of the standards expected from a polished console release.

PUBG on Xbox One starts up promisingly enough with a decent, attractive front-end, but once you've moved on from character creation to your first in-game lobby, you're instantly besieged by low resolution textures that seem to be failing to stream in properly, combined with performance just above or below the 20fps threshold - depending on whether you're playing on Xbox One or its significantly more powerful 4K counterpart.

Moving onto deployment into the game's single map (the PC's second map is en route), performance continues to be a struggle, kicking off with a prolonged stutter before moving on to 15-20fps territory as the transport plane flies above the map. In terms of first impressions, PUBG is borderline horrendous - an assault of low quality artwork, jarring pop-in and disappointing performance. Input lag also feels off - whether that's down to deadzone issues on the analogue sticks or the variable frame-rate remains to be seen (it's something we're looking into) and in this respect at least, it's the same story whether you're gaming on a standard Xbox or the X.
Click on the Headline for the Video.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
BillyWilliamton
Death Knight

Not surprising considering the games history on PC along with the fact that they rushed release to be eligible for GOTY awards.
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

The new map on PC seems to be optimized much better than the main title, but I wonder if that is not due to the server load being lower due to it still being on the test servers at the moment.

But the game can only be optimized form here, right? Right Ark!?
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
wunshot
Subscriber

Shocker....
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Snipee
Evil Dead

It actually runs decent on the x once you land from the jump. Remember, this is early access. I figure they will continue to optimize it.
Snipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipee View Post
It actually runs decent on the x once you land from the jump. Remember, this is early access. I figure they will continue to optimize it.
It's sold in stores. Explain what "Early Access" means to you, because you seem to be holding up a stating "Yeah this is garbage but they slapped a magical sticker on the box precluding criticism" banner.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Companies have begun to abuse the notion of Early Access so much they've ruined the concept.

Much like having a connected world on the computer (and then eventually) consoles opened a sea of amazing potential the dark side of allowing creators to publish buggy games and (hopefully) patch later is a strong cost to bear for that privilege.

Early Access gives exposure to smaller developers, provides for fan input, and can help fund development for a game a typical publisher might not invest in but these days has become used to soft launch alpha quality software by bigger and bigger companies and people pay for the privilege of testing that alpha software. And seem to do so pretty gladly.

The big companies pay lip service that the players have a say in the game's development but the fact is they only get this sway on a macro level and it isn't any different than what they'd have than if the game was live. The playerbase just feels more entitled and resentful when the company doesn't give in.

In the meantime these new entries from the big players (and Bluehole is DEFINITELY a big player, as is Epic with Fortnite, which is in Early Access) don't actually want much in the way of player feedback. They want revenue to finish the game.

This is just another example of many examples; it just happens to be getting the attention of a full release title since it is being promoted as a full release title. Actually that's pretty clever because it will now also be able to conceal the worst of it's release launch issues as "oh, that was while it was in Early Access" excuses, which will give them a mulligan on how aweful everything is, even though we all know this really is the launch of the game on Xbox. It is the same reason a lot of companies like Google rarely move products out of beta status. It is the instant get out of jail free card.

PUBG and Fortnite BR haven't started a system to really dig dollars out of the player's pocket yet is something soon to end and I hope they are able to stick to some of their statements saying they will not (or will stick to a minimum) of monetization before these games totally exit Early Access. If they ever do. Some of the current BR competition has been in Early Access (and not released) for longer than many other games in the past 5 to 10 years have developed, released, and gone to software heaven.

Last edited by vallor; 12-13-2017 at 01:38 AM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #9
NightRain
Evil Dead

I don't find it bad on the X at all, the lobby and the sky dive is low fps but once you hit the ground it is good. I have a pretty high end gaming pc and on pc it has been known to have problems too. I'm sure they'll tweak it and improve, it is early access after all.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #10
Snipee
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
It's sold in stores. Explain what "Early Access" means to you, because you seem to be holding up a stating "Yeah this is garbage but they slapped a magical sticker on the box precluding criticism" banner.
Wow...A bit aggressive. It is sold in stores, inside the box is a digital code. I don’t know what I expected to be honest. I just wanted to state that the experience can and should improve over time.

Remember when DayZ was announced for PS4? That was a few years back..and it never came out. I’m pretty happy that PUBG is on console, even if it is a work in progress. Remember...it was announced for Xbox at E3 6 months ago.

It’s still fun...I have a friend I’m playing it with. He doesn’t have a gaming pc. He’s having a blast and was very excited to get to play a game he has watched people stream.

I think the good thing is more people are able to experience this game. When did it become about bashing, less about allowing more people to experience something others enjoy?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #11
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

I played three matches last night on the X1X and found it wholly playable. Yes, frame rate was suspect during the pre-launch and plane sequence, but as it's been said above once I hit the ground it was smooth for me.

Regarding the Early Access question - coming in with the sticker doesn't eliminate the possibility to critique the title, even critically. However, you can't hold it to the same standard as a full release (and full priced - don't lose sight of that) AAA title. On the other hand, what I will be hyper-critical of is if the developer doesn't aggressively and constantly upgrade the package to bring it in line with a regular released game. That's the obligation they carry in coming into the market as Early Access in my book. Time will tell.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

If you can walk into a store and buy the game, for full price, it should be the complete article. There's little to no excuses and, as we all know, game companies simply don't care as most games still sell DESPITE being a bug ridden mess. this game should not get a pass.

I haven't purchased PUBG, yet, as I usually wait until the game has been fixed. Shame that I expect that from any new release.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Haven't bought it yet. I like my games polished I'm my old age.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #14
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
If you can walk into a store and buy the game, for full price, it should be the complete article. There's little to no excuses and, as we all know, game companies simply don't care as most games still sell DESPITE being a bug ridden mess. this game should not get a pass.
You're aware it released at what is considered bargain bin pricing right? Trust me, I'd be singing a different tune entirely if they tried to release it at the $59.99 MSRP...I wouldn't have bought it either. But at less than half that (after BB's GCU program) it's a solid purchase.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #15
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Wow...A bit aggressive. It is sold in stores, inside the box is a digital code. I donít know what I expected to be honest. I just wanted to state that the experience can and should improve over time.

Remember when DayZ was announced for PS4? That was a few years back..and it never came out. Iím pretty happy that PUBG is on console, even if it is a work in progress. Remember...it was announced for Xbox at E3 6 months ago.

Itís still fun...I have a friend Iím playing it with. He doesnít have a gaming pc. Heís having a blast and was very excited to get to play a game he has watched people stream.

I think the good thing is more people are able to experience this game. When did it become about bashing, less about allowing more people to experience something others enjoy?
The game is cancer. It gave me cancer.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
timmyd
Evil Dead

The time my carefully planned ambush failed when I hit some guy in the back of the (unprotected) head with the .45 and he just started bunny hopping around spraying me with lead - that just killed it for me. Yes he did have a bullet hole in his head.

I know that's a gameplay mechanic maybe later I'll try it again.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #17
Snipee
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post

I haven't purchased PUBG, yet, as I usually wait until the game has been fixed. Shame that I expect that from any new release.
You say full price...at $30?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
The time my carefully planned ambush failed when I hit some guy in the back of the (unprotected) head with the .45 and he just started bunny hopping around spraying me with lead - that just killed it for me. Yes he did have a bullet hole in his head.

I know that's a gameplay mechanic maybe later I'll try it again.

Same with Fortnight. Its a bunch of kids..
Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Xboned again.

If I wanted to play this, I would play Fortnite instead. Better graphics, better frame rate, less bugs and whatever gear you unlock will roll over into regular Fortnite.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:33 AM   #20
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
You say full price...at $30?
They can set the MSRP at whatever they want. There is no rule that you have to release a game at $59.00 to be considered full price or a Triple A title. That is just the standard going rate. But they are charging you full price to play a full retail game you can walk out of the store with. It does not matter that it is a digital code, it is still boxed and sold at a standard store as a retail product.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pubg, pubg corporation