New Resident Evil 2...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 07:05 AM
0 Replies, 228 Views

Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Disney Acquires Fox for $52.4 Billion

After weeks of rumors, a deal has finally been struck; Disney is acquiring Fox's entertainment assets.

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company and Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (21st Century Fox) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement for Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, including the Twentieth Century Fox Film and Television studios, along with cable and international TV businesses, for approximately $52.4 billion in stock (subject to adjustment). Building on Disney’s commitment to deliver the highest quality branded entertainment, the acquisition of these complementary assets would allow Disney to create more appealing content, build more direct relationships with consumers around the world and deliver a more compelling entertainment experience to consumers wherever and however they choose. Immediately prior to the acquisition, 21st Century Fox will separate the Fox Broadcasting network and stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, FS1, FS2 and Big Ten Network into a newly listed company that will be spun off to its shareholders.
Aside from the obvious assets such as X-Men, Alien and The Simpsons, Disney will also be gaining Fox's stake in Hulu. They'll also finally own the rights to the original Star Wars movie, something that was not included in the Lucasfilm sale five years ago. Frankly, the list of what it won't gain is easier to deal with: the Fox News cable channel, broadcast networks and Fox Sports, which are expected to spin off as their own business.

It is unclear whether or not regulators will allow the deal to go through and will likely go under intense scrutiny.

Sources: Walt Disney Company, Engadget, BBC News

Disney has its hands in many sinister soups.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 12-14-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

The only reason I want this to go through is so we can get X-Men in MCU movies
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

So the past few years, Marvel/Disney have busily been killing off the X-men in their own content and replacing them with Inhumans, an IP they could control fully. Now they're getting the X-men back, a FAR SUPERIOR IP to this bullshit Inhuman garbage crew of scabs, and what will they do?

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

A big question from me, is does this make it possible or even likely for us to get the original Star Wars trilogy (unmolested) on bluray/UHD?
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
So the past few years, Marvel/Disney have busily been killing off the X-men in their own content and replacing them with Inhumans, an IP they could control fully. Now they're getting the X-men back, a FAR SUPERIOR IP to this bullshit Inhuman garbage crew of scabs, and what will they do?
Since the Inhumans TV series kinda flopped, I suspect they will pick all new actors for the X-Men (Sans Wolverine of course who will continue to be played by Jackman... I know he said he is done, but money talks.) and they will finally be able to bring Marvel's first family to the big screen.

As for the comic books... the average comic book sells 50,000 copies a month at $3.99 each. The publisher gets 45% of that and out of that 45% they have to pay publishing costs. That means each issue of a comic book only profits the publisher around $11,000.00. A Marvel movie can profit upwards of a $600 Million from box office alone, not to mention posters, shirts, toys, etc. And then they still get to sell it to you again on Blu-ray.

I seriously don't think that Disney or Marvel cares about the comic book end of the business and plans to close it down at some point in the near future.

The only person they don't own yet is Spider-Man. Give it time.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
A big question from me, is does this make it possible or even likely for us to get the original Star Wars trilogy (unmolested) on bluray/UHD?
Magic 8 Ball says, "All signs point to Yes."

Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
Xqa
Reaper

Damn. Ok.. disney won. Game over, they broke the game. How do they not just print money from this point forward?

I for one welcome my new mouse overlord.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Since we don't have cool dystopian megacorps with awesome cyberpunk names, a guy on reddit made a new logo for Disney, since they seem to be going in that direction.

Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

So Archer,Homer Simpson,Logan, Chewbacca, Reid Richards, Darth Vader,Thor ,Abc,ESPN dam. How long before they buy warner brothers, To get control of batman and DC?
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

So will they be building a Springfield or X files ride at Disney world?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #11
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
So Archer,Homer Simpson,Logan, Chewbacca, Reid Richards, Darth Vader,Thor ,Abc,ESPN dam. How long before they buy warner brothers, To get control of batman and DC?
I suspect that there would be TONS of backlash from Disney trying to acquire WB. 20th Century Fox is borderine, but if they tried to go after WB in a few years then there would be some serious monopoly talks going on. Not to mention, WB has the Harry Potter film rights which prints them as much money as the MCU.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
unlikely. and not because of lucas either.

disney is out to kill physical media as soon as possible. studios hate it.

with the ability to now rip UHDs growing literally every monday (thank you DeUHD) and the release of several VUKs for UHD that you can use in MakeMKV to rip UHD i think we'll see an acceleration of physical media phase out.

shame. UHD has been far superior to any streaming. and i get my Atmos or DTS:X sound to boot!

hate to see this consolidation occur.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I'm not so sure I like this move. While I like that they'd get all the star wars stuff and a bunch of IPs which should be consolidated under Disney and some IPs Disney is better positioned to take advantage of I feel like there's already too much under the Mouse's hat.

I mean outside of just the American side of things we're also talking about world wide stuff like Sky networks in the EU. Do we really need the mouse controlling so much media across the world? We'd really be down to 4 teams + Google controlling all the information.

At the micro level we might finally get a good Fantastic Four movie since they'll be able to resurrect the franchise.

I hope they don't go making Deadpool and any future Logan style movies, or the supposed Lobo movie back to PG-13. There are more characters who can really be done justice with an R-rating and I'd be unhappy to see them pull back in this respect.

I'd also dislike seeing them to try and inject them into the near term phases of the MCU. It would feel too much like shoehorning them in right now.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Greater consolidation of our media is a bad thing, mmmkay?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I hope they don't go making Deadpool and any future Logan style movies, or the supposed Lobo movie back to PG-13. There are more characters who can really be done justice with an R-rating and I'd be unhappy to see them pull back in this respect.
Lobo is DC, so that would be a WB decision. Also, the comic version of Deadpool everyone loves so very, very much is easily PG-13 in terms of tone. The Deadpool movies are great fun...but, pretending that he needs the R rating in order to be best executed isn't really accurate.

It's worth noting that Bob Iger will probably keep Deadpool R rated; their concern seems to be managing audience expectation and keeping folks informed. So, some of the MCU movies very well could be R rated in the future.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 12-14-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Lobo is DC, so that would be a WB decision. Also, the comic version of Deadpool everyone loves so very, very much is easily PG-13 in terms of tone. The Deadpool movies are great fun...but, pretending that he needs the R rating in order to be best executed isn't really accurate.

It's worth noting that Bob Iger will probably keep Deadpool R rated; their concern seems to be managing audience expectation and keeping folks informed. So, some of the MCU movies very well could be R rated in the future.
Ah, ok for some reason thought Lobo was Marvel, thanks for the correction.

They wouldn't be able to keep the established tone of Deadpool at this point without the R rating. The humor, the casual killing, the way they show the efficacy of his healing factor could not be rolled back to PG-13 now without ruining the whole thing.

Could other MCU movies become R-rated? Yes, but how do you take something like Deadpool lowbrow humor/gore R-rated or Logan thematic/drama/gore R-rated and mesh it with the next 3 - 5 years of what we know about MCU? It would feel totally incongruent.

I doubt we see any mesh of R-rating and MCU Phasing for a decade and even then I have to wonder if Disney would want to splatter their family friendly super hero universe with gore and potty mouths. They might have to still splinter things off and create another shard like they've done with the Netflix series where everything still happens in the same world and has references back and forth but the twain shall never meet.

Though someone like the Punisher could probably cross over as a special guest star in another hero's gory R-rated movie since the content is similar.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #17
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

This also makes the Disney streaming service alot more desirable. Marvel,Stars war's, mickey, Disney Princess,Simpsons, family guy,x files etc...
Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
This also makes the Disney streaming service alot more desirable. Marvel,Stars war's, mickey, Disney Princess,Simpsons, family guy,x files etc...
They own a controlling stake in Hulu now.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #19
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I liked Inhumans. It was shiny, pleasant, with none of the weight of Jessica Jones (Rape) or darkness of Daredevil. Iron Fist wasn't the best, although it was fun at times, with far too many episodes. InHumans got on with the story and that was about it.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I HAVE to know though, will this effect my Fox News in any way?! If so, I will be very put off. It's the last bastion of hope for fair and balanced news. You know, the things the mainstream media refuse to report about. The stuff Shep Smith connects the dots on with his massive brain, that everyone else misses.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyout, disney, fox, holy shit!, merger