Batwoman TV Show Joins...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 10:19 AM
8 Replies, 1,171 Views

Old 12-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Obsidian Says There Will Be No Microtransactions In Its Next RPG

Obsidian Entertainment has announced that there will be "no microtransactions, of any kind," in their upcoming RPG.

Quote:
We’re extremely excited about our upcoming RPG, and we know you are too. We wish we could tell you all about it right now… but we’re going to hold off until the time is right. What we did want to talk about was a question a lot of you have been raising: “Will this upcoming game feature any lootboxes or other microtransactions?”

The answer is simply: “no.” No microtransactions, of any kind, in our game.

We also wanted to say a word about our partnership with Private Division, our publisher on this title. Far from “pushing” us to put anything -- microtransactions or otherwise -- into our game, Private Division has been incredibly supportive of our vision, our creative freedom, and the process by which we work to make RPGs. They have been fantastic partners, and we are extremely excited to work with them through release, to put what we know is going to be an amazing game into as many hands as possible.

As always, thank you so much for your support. We know we couldn’t do what we do without our fans, and we want you to know that we put you guys first in every decision we make.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

+1 int
+1 chr
+1 wis
Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Is this Kotor 3? Because I am not sure why you announce this otherwise. Unless they are afraid EA has tainted the whole industry. Which I guess could be the case.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Is this Kotor 3? Because I am not sure why you announce this otherwise. Unless they are afraid EA has tainted the whole industry. Which I guess could be the case.
Basically. Having read their stuff for a while now, this just seems like a little poke at the latest micro-disasters.

Of course, it makes me a bit worried since when it comes to Obsidian they tend to make great DLC that is more like an expansion and worth the money.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
I doubt it's a KOTOR title because the publisher is Private Division, and EA, a publisher that has tainted the whole industry, has an exclusive on Star Wars right now.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Microtransactions can be done right. P2W is the real problem.

Path of Exile does microtransactions perfectly; 99% cosmetics, with additional character slots and storage offered as well. None of it is necessary to enjoy the game or succeed.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I doubt it's a KOTOR title because the publisher is Private Division, and EA, a publisher that has tainted the whole industry, has an exclusive on Star Wars right now.
I know EA has star wars,but if anybody has F U money it's Disney. They could get out of the deal if they really wanted to. Also they could argue EA was hurting the star wars brand with that loot box debacle.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Of all the companies which were on my list of ones I was worried about adding microtransactions to their games Obsidian was... wait, they aren't even on the list.

Seems like someone wanted a reason to get their name out in the news cycle or something. Was there anyone really worried that Obsidian was somehow going to add loot boxes to one of their games?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

perhaps they'll let you buy bundles of crafting materials instead.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #10
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

Path of Exile does microtransactions perfectly; 99% cosmetics, with additional character slots and storage offered as well. None of it is necessary to enjoy the game or succeed.
disagree. cosmetic stuff who cares

additional storage and character slots sound to me like an advantage, though i have never played that game.

frankly microtransactions should just go away period
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
disagree. cosmetic stuff who cares

additional storage and character slots sound to me like an advantage, though i have never played that game.

frankly microtransactions should just go away period
Many games don't need them. Game prices would need to go up overall all without them. Cosmetics and character slots don't really bother me but to each his own.

Vote with your money. If a game looks pay to win don't buy it. I'm a huge star wars nerd. I really want to play a new star wars game but EA screwed that up.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Hmmm, this story seems to tie in with this one.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I vaguely remember Obsidian pitching a scifi rpg set in space to Bethesda some years back, had a vertical slice completed, but it was ultimately turned down. KOTOR 2 and New Vegas are incredible despite their pathetic launches. Hoping for a return to scifi because their super liberal Baldur's Gate spiritual successor Pillars of Eternity, the South Park game, and Alpha Protocol never appealed to me. Mass Effect's total collapse left a void in the market.

Last edited by Mad Max RW; 12-17-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
Hmmm, this story seems to tie in with this one.
Yeah, I actually linked to it in the OP. And that's why people were asking questions about microtransactions. Parent company Take-Two is well known for making a fortune off of the Shark Cards in Rockstar's GTA V.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

No I totally disagree in a paid for title. For me personally if it's loot boxes it's irrelevant if its P2W or just skins (including F2P).. outside of mature games it's still peddling gambling mechanics to minors. The people running these companies really have no morals and probably don't even see what they are doing wrong.. hey I'm making money on the back of normalising gambling to kids, but I'm getting rich so fuck em.

As you basically say Terran your now normalised to MTs for cosmetics and presumably cut content as paid DLC... so overall there is some "result" for the games industry.. whatever they do they can point and say well it's not SWBF2 levels of bullshit.. now give me fkin money.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
No I totally disagree in a paid for title.
I didn't reference any support for 'paid' titles including microtransactions. The game I referenced as doing it right is FREE and you could play it for FREE and enjoy ALL of the content available for FREE with the exception of the ability to cosmetically change your appearance and store a pile more crap than the pile they allow you to store for FREE.

You know what that normalizes? PAYING for a game, whether through an up-front payment OR through smaller in-game transactions in a FREE title that allow the developer/publisher to actually earn a living.

I have no problem at all with how GGG handles the finances of Path of Exile, and anybody that does is a freeloading moron, lol. And if you don't want to pay for $DLC, you should ALL be doing what I have done for a decade, and that's to buy a GotYE with DLC included. If they don't offer one, like EA with Mass Effect, don't buy it.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #17
ascl
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
No I totally disagree in a paid for title. For me personally if it's loot boxes it's irrelevant if its P2W or just skins (including F2P).. outside of mature games it's still peddling gambling mechanics to minors. The people running these companies really have no morals and probably don't even see what they are doing wrong.. hey I'm making money on the back of normalising gambling to kids, but I'm getting rich so fuck em.
Interesting comment, I hadn't looked at it this way. I don't have any kind of moral issue with people gambling, but including it into games sucks for many reasons. I go out of my way to buy games without micro transactions (especially mobile). I could argue about how grey games have been in regards to this (I mean what is diablo other than a random loot generator?), but it doesn't really matter.

I am curious how long before games companies start including bitcoin (or whatever cryptocurrency is appropriate, probably something memory hard like eth or xmr) mining code. Websites are already doing it.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #18
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

I think Diablo introduces chance but it's not asking you to pay money each time for that chance. So I'd say that loot boxes you pay for are normalising "staking" real money for a reward... gambling in all but the legal definition IMO.

I think we got our wires crossed Terran, I generally agree with you that free means MTs of some kind.. but I don't think loot boxes have a place outside of Adult rated games. Anyway I find most FTP games with MTs impact the design too much for me to enjoy them so I never play them.

As is apparent I have serious contempt for companies and their executives that implement loot boxes & especially those aiming them at kids.. I don't understand the utter disregard for the potential damage they are doing.. all to justify a bonus payment or remuneration increase... I think some of these people need to reset their moral compasses.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Yeah, I actually linked to it in the OP. And that's why people were asking questions about microtransactions. Parent company Take-Two is well known for making a fortune off of the Shark Cards in Rockstar's GTA V.
Right on !
Old 12-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #20
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post
I am curious how long before games companies start including bitcoin (or whatever cryptocurrency is appropriate, probably something memory hard like eth or xmr) mining code. Websites are already doing it.
Really? Which sites?

A friend plays a game, Armored Warfare I think (some sort of tank game) made by My.com, which never turns off their launcher from the peer-to-peer node. The launcher seeds to the torrent network regardless of if you're playing or not. And it uses your full available bandwidth. When you "close" it the thing just minimizes to the taskbar tray.

It's not too far from a leap from sneaking seeding for peer-to-peer torrenting to using your machine in their farming network.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microtransactions, obsidian, obsidian entertainment, rpg