Last post by Eats
Today 02:48 AM
5,149 Replies, 1,172,884 Views

Old 11-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #21
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
/sarcasm Because you likely need a sarcasm tag to get it.
Sarcasm comes from truth. There is a part of you that hates Death Stranding. Give into that hate! Give into the Dark Side! In all seriousness, I don't mind people hating Death Stranding, even people like wunshot, because they are at least hating it due to personal experience. What I can't stand are people who hate it because they just don't like the concept (hence all the easy FedEx jokes).

As for this game... I really wish the main character was different. There is something about his face and voice which just makes him highly punchable. I miss characters like Kyle Katarn. Hell, since this is in the same time period as Rogue One, it would have "subverted expectations" if we played as Jyn Erso or Mara Jade.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #22
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Sarcasm comes from truth. There is a part of you that hates Death Stranding. Give into that hate! Give into the Dark Side! In all seriousness, I don't mind people hating Death Stranding, even people like wunshot, because they are at least hating it due to personal experience. What I can't stand are people who hate it because they just don't like the concept (hence all the easy FedEx jokes).

As for this game... I really wish the main character was different. There is something about his face and voice which just makes him highly punchable. I miss characters like Kyle Katarn. Hell, since this is in the same time period as Rogue One, it would have "subverted expectations" if we played as Jyn Erso or Mara Jade.
Meh I'm really just indifferent towards Death Stranding, it's when jackholes like Maven prop shitty games up on a pedestal that gets to me.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
No, you need a console for your controller.

The game is pretty epic, doesn't feel like a recent EA game, which is a GOOD thing.
Silly question, but I bought a wireless xbox controller and I've only had PS4 controllers in the past. It came with batteries and they don't look rechargeable. Do you have to buy separate rechargeable batteries to be able to plug in the micro usb and recharge it?
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

That was a terrible trailer. I have no desire to play anything remotely connected with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #25
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
Silly question, but I bought a wireless xbox controller and I've only had PS4 controllers in the past. It came with batteries and they don't look rechargeable. Do you have to buy separate rechargeable batteries to be able to plug in the micro usb and recharge it?
You buy a special battery pack and leave it in there and then it becomes just like an DS4, except heavier... and not as advanced. Yeah I love the X1X, hate the outdated by comparison controllers. But it has rumble triggers at least.

Anyway, just buy the official Play and Charge kit. Gives you a nice long cable too with indicator light that tells you when its fully charged.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #26
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
That was a terrible trailer. I have no desire to play anything remotely connected with it.
Who cares about some dumb trailer dude? The game is awesome. You're gonna let a dumb EA marketing department dissuade you from an actual great game from a talented developer that EA bought out and hasn't had a chance to destroy yet?
Old 11-16-2019, 12:31 AM   #27
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead

Story so far is fun. Graphics are really great, sound FX and music are of course top notch. Combat vs the cannon fodder isn't bad, reminiscent of Force Unleashed. But..for me at least... any of the tougher cannon fodder (when they swarm), or mini-bosses, or bosses... it feels like a soultype game.

Some people like that a lot. I personally really don't dig those games. You have to time-block, and double-tap roll so much and if you screw it up it punishes you with stuns and knockbacks, and the hits keep coming. I dunno, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did Force Unleashed.

Nothing that lowering the difficulty or using a trainer here or there can't fix, but that's how the combat feels.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:13 AM   #28
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
You buy a special battery pack and leave it in there and then it becomes just like an DS4, except heavier... and not as advanced. Yeah I love the X1X, hate the outdated by comparison controllers. But it has rumble triggers at least.
The DS4 is decent, actually it is great! But the XB1 controller is at least as good, and actually preferred because of the positions of the analog sticks. I actually just got the Elite v2 controller (expensive as hell) but it is easily the best feeling and functioning controller I've ever used. Better be, for $180 bucks!

I am playing this game on PC maxed in 4k, and jeez it is great looking. Although I couldn't care less about having the dudes hair wave in the wind. Would rather save the cpu resources for something else. Playing it maxed like that pushes my 1080ti and (mostly) my outdated 6700 cpu to its limits. Struggles to keep solid 60fps, but stays above 50fps for the most part.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #29
Julio
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlukeguy View Post
Story so far is fun. Graphics are really great, sound FX and music are of course top notch. Combat vs the cannon fodder isn't bad, reminiscent of Force Unleashed. But..for me at least... any of the tougher cannon fodder (when they swarm), or mini-bosses, or bosses... it feels like a soultype game.

Some people like that a lot. I personally really don't dig those games. You have to time-block, and double-tap roll so much and if you screw it up it punishes you with stuns and knockbacks, and the hits keep coming. I dunno, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did Force Unleashed.

Nothing that lowering the difficulty or using a trainer here or there can't fix, but that's how the combat feels.
I like playing games that challenge me and I usually play games on higher difficulties (unless its just enemies hit harder and have more health) but for some reason I can't play souls like games. I despise that combat and how it feels, and I struggle more with getting my character to do what I want rather than playing with the game mechanics and such.

I'm not saying it's bad game design, and I know why people enjoy it but it definitely isn't for me. I'm saddened they went with this combat....

I guess I'll just end up getting the Fedex simulator when it releases on PC now.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #30
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have an Amazon game controller based on the Xbox design (with a cable) and it works amazing in games on my PC and only costs like $18. It's branded like Amazon essentials or something like that.

AmazonBasics Xbox One Controller for PC.

I have the black one, but this thing works really good.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:07 PM   #31
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
You're gonna let a dumb EA marketing department dissuade you from an actual great game?
Yes. Yes, I am.
Quote:
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #32
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Yes. Yes, I am.
Well, it's your loss, I suppose. I've enjoyed what I've played, so far. It's a good game, and it's shaping up to be a solid Star Wars story.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #33
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I played this one for a couple of hours and then went back to the FedEx walking simulator... it was more fun.

I'll never understand Respawn's obsession with wall running. Wall running is the jumping puzzles of 3rd person shooters. You know how everyone hates jumping puzzles in first person shooters? Wall running is that same feature in 3rd person games. I despise it.

It just drags down the gameplay and takes you totally out of the story while you struggle to jump from one wall to the other at just the right second.

And Respawn can't give it up. There is a reason they aren't doing well as a company and wall running and grappling hooks are a big part of it.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #34
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
There is a reason they aren't doing well as a company and wall running and grappling hooks are a big part of it.
No shit. They need to be focused on selling more cosmetics.

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #35
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, it's your loss, I suppose. I've enjoyed what I've played, so far.
Because you've enjoyed it, it's my loss? Huh...that's a new one.

It's an opportunity cost I'm unwilling to pay. There are only so many hours in a day, and no matter how 'hardcore' you may be in a hobby, you literally cannot do it all. The trailer wasted enough of my time. This post adds to that. I'm done with this game as of now, lol.
Quote:
Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #36
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
No shit. They need to be focused on selling more cosmetics.
You have to admit I'm right, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Apex Legends... all games focused on Wall Running and Grappling hooks and all pretty much 2nd or 3rd rate games. Titanfall 1 was a complete failure that EA was literally giving away for $5 a copy less than 30 days after launch.

I'm sure that they have made a bunch of money from Apex Legends, because there are a lot of dumb people out there who throw money at those free-to-play shooters, but it really came out and kinda disappeared overnight. When I looked at twitch right now, more people were watching Death Stranding than Apex Legends... people would literally rather watch a walking simulator than Apex Legends.

That's just wrong.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #37
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Because you've enjoyed it, it's my loss?
We both know you're not that stupid, or dense.

It's a fun game, and one of the best Star Wars games we've had in quite some time. If you're a fan of fun games, Star Wars, or both, it's worth trying.

If you don't want to...well, that's fine. You're just missing out on a solid game, but you can't play 'em all.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #38
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
You have to admit I'm right, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Apex Legends... all games focused on Wall Running and Grappling hooks and all pretty much 2nd or 3rd rate games. Titanfall 1 was a complete failure that EA was literally giving away for $5 a copy less than 30 days after launch.
2016's Titanfall 2 was arguably the pinnacle of PvP FPS gameplay imo. Unfortunately the primary gamer demographic back then didn't seem to be too concerned about that. Even less so today considering they are mostly worried about battle passes (a way to spend more money that adds little to nothing to the actual game), dancing emotes & whether or not the character they're playing as is a transvestite or not.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #39
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is correct! If you totally ignore the fact that EA screwed Respawn on both Titanfall releases by releasing new versions of well known FPS games at the same time.

Wall running in this game seems basic at first. But when you wall run into a double jump, then force pull a rope. so you can swing out and double jump force pull another rope and then swing into another wall run. It's a lot of fun.

@thatlukeguy try single tapping Z (dodge) for a quick juke and counter.

Also some humor:

Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #40
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Wall running in this game seems basic at first. But when you wall run into a double jump, then force pull a rope. so you can swing out and double jump force pull another rope and then swing into another wall run. It's a lot of fun.
I don't have that level of dexterity but I have been having fun. I'm only on the first planet so I hope it doesn't escalate too high. I am not so sure about the Dark Souls type gameplay but we'll see after I've played longer. It hasn't bothered me too much yet except with the "boss" frog on the Jedi Vault planet.

The second comic you have added is way true though, and maybe one of the worst parts of the game... I should be able to slice through a door with my lightsaber but I seem to be blocked left and right by these rusty steel doors.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jedi fallen order, star wars