Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 08:27 PM
18,847 Replies, 3,877,025 Views

Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Analogue Pocket offers a modern way to play and make Game Boy Games

Quote:
Throwback console maker Analogue has unveiled its latest project, a modernized handheld for playing original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games called the Analogue Pocket.

The $199 system offers considerably more power than the nearly-30-year-old original Game Boy, boasting a 1600x1400 resolution, 615 PPI LCD screen, and the ability to output to a TV set, alongside other improvements.

However, much like its predecessors, the Analogue Pocket only works with physical game cartridges; Analogue’s website specifically calls out that the device isn’t designed to emulating digital copies of games.

But on top of built-in support for Game Boy, GBC, and GBA cartridges, Analogue says that, with adapters, the Pocket can also play games from other handheld systems including, but not limited to, the Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, and Atari Lynx.

The Analogue Pocket looks to be primarily geared at players looking to relive the Game Boy’s glory days, but the system’s creators say that the upcoming handheld offers creation tools for composers and developers looking to tap into that era of games with their own projects as well.

“Pocket is designed for FPGA development. We added a second dedicated FPGA just for developers to develop & port their own cores,” briefly explains Analogue. “With access to Analogue's proprietary hardware and scalers - we think developers are going to do some amazing things.”

Alongside that, the Pocket includes a built-in synthesizer and a sequencer called Nanoloop for those that are interested in turning to Game Boy hardware for music creation.

Right now, the Analogue Pocket itself is set to launch in 2020 for $199, while pricing for the dock to connect it to a TV has yet to be revealed. More info can be found on Analogue’s website.
Gamasutra.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
However, much like its predecessors, the Analogue Pocket only works with physical game cartridges; Analogue’s website specifically calls out that the device isn’t designed to emulating digital copies of games.
I imagine this can be bypassed by using one of those SD Card adapter carts. Still the price seems a bit high, I guess the overall quality of the device and the compatibility might make it worthwhile. Hopefully Metal Jesus will but up a video about it once it goes on sale.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
RAV
Evil Dead

The best thing about this is the FPGA processors. So to make it clear what's going on here: This thing is not an emulator. It actually executes the game in hardware. This should be amazing for tight controls.

FPGA chips are programmable silicon. Which means the chip can be configured into any processor you want. Just give it the blueprint of what it's supposed to be like, and it becomes that. You can basically turn any program logic into silicon wiring and execute in hardware. Which also makes it amazingly efficient. This thing comes even with 2 FPGA processors, so you can program the second one yourself to be any kind of processor. How bloody amazing is that?

The downside is the cost. Normally, at 200 bucks I would never consider just another emulator at that price. But man, this FPGA stuff is fresh and makes it tempting...
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm sold. Even at that price, I think I'll pick one up.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Lack of emulation is a killer for me.

I don't have enough of my old carts to make this nearly a worthwhile purchase. I don't want to have to cludge together some SDCard system and blah blah blah to get the games working.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I have a few of my old gba carts but not enough to justify $199. It’s a great looking system but just too far out of my range.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah this thing definitely aims at the niche market of Collectors, which is probably why it dares have a higher price tag.

Maybe someone will figure out a more convenient adapter plug-in for usb sticks or sd card full of roms. They are already talking about having adapters for SegaGameGear, NeoGeoPocket, AtaryLynx games cartridges, so who knows. This machine is programmable, I imagine someone could make a really neat bootloader menu then, like from RetroPie.

Hrrm wait a minute. I haven't really looked deeper into this, but they are saying this is programmable. They definitely mean the processor is. Not sure if that includes making and running your own games. But at any case, through what interface then?

I mean there should be some homebrew scene eventually, and then some way to run games that aren't cartridge. Or wait, maybe there will be a special cartridge which you can program? So you can have only one cartridge with all your games on? I mean something less like an adapter, and more like an actual cartridge, but modifiable? I hope that would happen, since I don't have a single original cartridge either, and the only reason I'd get this is programmable features.

Anyway, time will tell, I'll keep an eye on it.

Last edited by RAV; 10-17-2019 at 11:27 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
I mean there should be some homebrew scene eventually, and then some way to run games that aren't cartridge. Or wait, maybe there will be a special cartridge which you can program? So you can have only one cartridge with all your games on? I mean something less like an adapter, and more like an actual cartridge, but modifiable? I hope that would happen, since I don't have a single original cartridge either, and the only reason I'd get this is programmable features.
I'm pretty sure the only audience for this thing is collectors with (at least) a slight interest in programming. For the price of this thing, you could easily buy a GBA and the 50 most important GB/GBC/GBA games on eBay, so piracy shouldn't rank high in the list of potential motivations. This thread's title says "a modern way to play and make Game Boy Games". I would add "... and stream them to a dedicated audience easily".
Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 AM   #9
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I'm sold. Even at that price, I think I'll pick one up.
Dang it, I just bought a GBA SP with a better/brighter screen off ebay for $150. Probably would have held out for this instead. Well, this looks great, let's see how the reviews end up.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:27 AM   #10
RAV
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I'm pretty sure the only audience for this thing is collectors with (at least) a slight interest in programming. For the price of this thing, you could easily buy a GBA and the 50 most important GB/GBC/GBA games on eBay, so piracy shouldn't rank high in the list of potential motivations. This thread's title says "a modern way to play and make Game Boy Games". I would add "... and stream them to a dedicated audience easily".
If you are serious about playing these titles, this machine should offer a significant advantage in runtime efficiency over emulation (smooth play, no input lag, etc), while also offering better quality experience than the original hardware (screen and features). And if you are serious about portable gaming, there would definitely be an interest in not having to carry around dozens of cartridges. It's really a matter of convenience. So altogether, this thing would offer the best possible play experience for an actual gamer, compared to both emulators and original hardware. At any case, is it worth that money? I don't know... gotta wait for Metal Jesus to review this thing.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I'm sold. I owned the original Game Boy, and bought the color version as well. I've been looking into buying a Game Boy Advance SP, but I'll wait for this now. This, and a GBA ever drive should be nice.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Dang it, I just bought a GBA SP with a better/brighter screen off ebay for $150. Probably would have held out for this instead. Well, this looks great, let's see how the reviews end up.
I know, the display immediately caught my attention, this looks really great. Add that to RAV's comments about direct execution and I believe this is now on my definitely purchase list.

Neat!
CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuFan View Post
I know, the display immediately caught my attention, this looks really great. Add that to RAV's comments about direct execution and I believe this is now on my definitely purchase list.

Neat!
WOW this thing is awesome. Day One Purchase here for sure!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analogue pocket