Thronebreaker: The...
Last post by Exodus
Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,175 Views

Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Activision hit by layoffs, including Infinity Ward and Beenox staff

PC Gamer has the news that Activision developers Infinity Ward and Beenox were hit by layoffs following the disappointing sales of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare -- despite the fact that Activision reported decent 4th quarter results.

Quote:
Activision Publishing has laid off a reported five percent of its workforce, according to Kotaku, with cuts coming to its corporate office, as well as Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward, Spider-Man and Skylanders studio Beenox, and other internal studios.

The layoffs came in the wake of yesterday's fourth-quarter financial report, which resulted in "better-than-expected and record" results—even though the latest Call of Duty release, Infinite Warfare, did not live up to expectations.

The source indicated that roughly 20 employees of Infinity Ward were let go, while a follow-up comment says that the Beenox Q&A department was shut down entirely—a claim repeated separately by Gamasutra—although the studio itself was not affected. Blizzard and Major League Gaming were not impacted by the layoffs.

Activision issued a statement effectively confirming the layoffs, although not the actual numbers. "Activision Publishing is realigning our resources to support our upcoming slate and adapt to the accelerating transition to digital, including opportunities for digital add-on content," it said.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Bummer. Hope they find work fast.

Infinite Warfare had a decent solo campaign, but multiplayer has become too spastic.

DICE was more in tune with what people wanted right now with Battlefield 1. BF1 has excellent multiplayer, and the WWI setting is a good change of pace. Too bad DICE still can't make a good solo campaign.

Edit: While I'm on the subject. Titanfall 2 is the game to get right now. The price is good and there's no season pass to worry about getting. The campaign rocks, with a mix of new and old school gameplay. Multiplayer is fun too.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Anemone
Evil Dead

Last name: Freude, first name: Schaden.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
dirtbag
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Edit: While I'm on the subject. Titanfall 2 is the game to get right now. The price is good and there's no season pass to worry about getting. The campaign rocks, with a mix of new and old school gameplay. Multiplayer is fun too.
The TF2 campaign is the best single player FPS experience I've had in a long time - totally worth the time and money!
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I noticed Activision rose nearly 13% today. Must be because investors saw these layoffs as good news along with the quarterly results.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

If you want your stock to rise just send a bunch of your workers to their career death and you'll get that bump you've been waiting for. Then grease some politicians' palms to get a side order of multilateral trade deals, followed by an H1B visa expansion and voila!, you've destroyed another community or two while picking up a bunch of cheap indentured servants!

/rant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Layoffs? Nice way to say fired in this situation, which they should have been. Game was/is garbage.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
dirtbag
El Matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Layoffs? Nice way to say fired in this situation, which they should have been. Game was/is garbage.
It's never the people who make stupid decisions who get laid off. It will be the coders and designers who get the boot.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
It's never the people who make stupid decisions who get laid off. It will be the coders and designers who get the boot.
In the case of Beenox, it seems to be their entire QA department. So, the poor guys who slaved away day after day playing the same game level 1,000 times just to duplicate that bug that might get your character stuck in a wall are the first people to go and the people least appreciated by the publisher.

They will also end up being the staff they have to hire back when a new product gets under development again.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
In the case of Beenox, it seems to be their entire QA department. So, the poor guys who slaved away day after day playing the same game level 1,000 times just to duplicate that bug that might get your character stuck in a wall are the first people to go and the people least appreciated by the publisher.

They will also end up being the staff they have to hire back when a new product gets under development again.
Companies ALWAYS regret laying off QA. It works for them for a while until they find out they can't just ship the code they've checked into their main branch without a little testing.

They either eventually hire them all back (slowly, because they still don't think they need them ALL) end up paying MORE to outsource or eventually force the mothership at the publisher to ramp up more QA or the studio gets closed down. Of course QA staff that isn't on site is just a little better than no QA at all.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #11
Rommel
International Playboy

I don't think the setting did in COD: IW. I think people may just finally be sick of COD gameplay. It's audience from the MW days is aging and is not being replaced by the next generation. Also, 2016 was an AMAZING year for FPS titles, so it isn't surprising to see erosion at the industry's top player in that category with so much competition.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I don't think the setting did in COD: IW. I think people may just finally be sick of COD gameplay.
This is anecdotal of course but my brother in law and I used to get COD every year. We weren't experts who devoured the game day and night but we had consistently fun with it. This year, we both skipped the game 100% because of the setting. He got Battlefield and still misses the CoD combat. I just skipped them both. I was tempted to get Titan Fall 2 but, again, I just don't have much interest in the sci-fi concept.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

@chief smash, its official, you are now an old man.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
@chief smash, its official, you are now an old man.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I think people may just finally be sick of COD gameplay.
That's been the case for me. I haven't bought one in years and years. Bunny hopping spasticity got really, really, REALLY old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beenox, call of duty, infinite warfare, infinity ward