Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Star Citizen goes to...
Last post by dirtbag
Today 03:53 PM
4 Replies, 382 Views
Sega Forever: Retro...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 01:13 PM
21 Replies, 1,596 Views
PS Plus: Free Games for...
Last post by MadMurdock_0311
Today 01:13 PM
3 Replies, 447 Views
Valkyria Revolution...
Last post by ashikenshin
Today 12:57 PM
3 Replies, 679 Views
Super NES Classic...
Last post by blackzc
Today 12:15 PM
35 Replies, 1,979 Views
Marvel Boss Says MCU...
Last post by LostToys
Today 10:31 AM
23 Replies, 1,594 Views
Favorite ODDBALL GAME...
Last post by Scherge
Today 08:41 AM
4 Replies, 351 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by BlackSabbath
Today 06:07 AM
6 Replies, 1,142 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,112
Power Rangers 'Breaks Ground' With First Queer Big-Screen Superhero


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
During Power Rangers' second act, there's a scene in which the titular heroes learn that the Yellow Ranger Trini (Becky G) is coming to terms with her sexual orientation, with one character assuming she's having "boyfriend problems," and soon realizing that perhaps she's actually having "girlfriend problems." It's a small moment, but one director Dean Israelite calls "pivotal" for the entire film.
Hollywood reporter has the 'pivotal' story.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,901
Never got into the Power Rangers, ever. Just seemed wayyyy too stupid to like.
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,035
Yeah it's just so pivotal to push homosexuality in movies aimed at children. Hollywood is such a fucking cesspool at this point, full of rampant drug use and sexual abuse.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Yeah it's just so pivotal to push homosexuality in movies aimed at children. Hollywood is such a fucking cesspool at this point, full of rampant drug use and sexual abuse.
I don't think a throwaway line is really classifiable as "pushing" anything. I'm also not sure what the connection between homosexuality and sexual abuse is...but, that's a can of worms best left for another day, I think.

The irony is that David Yost - the original Blue Ranger from the show - was endlessly mocked and harassed because he's gay during production of the show; it got to the point where he simply quit the show.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,112
A couple of years back,my wife (who was a stay at home mom for the previous 8 years) got a job offer that was too good to pass up. It had her working a couple of hours in the afternoon and we worked things out where she would head into work and I would take my lunch hour to be with my younger son. We eat lunch and watch Power Rangers together and then he'd go down for a nap while I went back downstairs to work. It got to be a fun little tradition and to this day, we both still love hearing the Power Rangers Jungle Fury theme song. And he's still completely into the Power Rangers along with his older brother. I never minded the mild violence because overall, the show is pretty innocent and geared towards younger kids. When they heard that this movie was coming out, they got so excited and my wife and I thought maybe we would take them to see it this weekend. The first strike was the PG13 rating I saw (my younger son is 6 and sometimes PG13's have stuff that scares him.) Then I saw this headline and it just kind of hit me in the gut. I guess it's being marketed for people who grew up with the show and not towards my kids.

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I don't think a throwaway line is really classifiable as "pushing" anything.
Well the director says that it's pivotal. That doesn't sound like a throwaway line to me.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
PacerDawn
Choadwanger
 
PacerDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,549
I'd be willing to bet that the narrative will arise that if you don't like this movie, it is because you are homophobic. Well, I may not be homophobic but I am crap-phobic, so I probably will not be catching this. Fortunately, I was too old when it came out so it isn't in my nostalgia library.
__________________
"I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming because they don't know I'm only using blanks."
-Emo Phillips
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Well the director says that it's pivotal. That doesn't sound like a throwaway line to me.
Based on the context of the line (without having seen the movie, of course), it fits into the overall theme of "finding yourself" the movie seems to be running with. The line itself seems pretty throwaway, to me.

$5 says it features the same amount of screentime and overall impact as the scene in Star Trek Beyond where we see Sulu's husband and child.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
TheMadHatter
Squire
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: texas
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
A couple of years back,my wife (who was a stay at home mom for the previous 8 years) got a job offer that was too good to pass up. It had her working a couple of hours in the afternoon and we worked things out where she would head into work and I would take my lunch hour to be with my younger son. We eat lunch and watch Power Rangers together and then he'd go down for a nap while I went back downstairs to work. It got to be a fun little tradition and to this day, we both still love hearing the Power Rangers Jungle Fury theme song. And he's still completely into the Power Rangers along with his older brother. I never minded the mild violence because overall, the show is pretty innocent and geared towards younger kids. When they heard that this movie was coming out, they got so excited and my wife and I thought maybe we would take them to see it this weekend. The first strike was the PG13 rating I saw (my younger son is 6 and sometimes PG13's have stuff that scares him.) Then I saw this headline and it just kind of hit me in the gut. I guess it's being marketed for people who grew up with the show and not towards my kids.

EDIT

Well the director says that it's pivotal. That doesn't sound like a throwaway line to me.
Why even put that in the movie knowing that kids are likely to go see this? I don't have a problem with people choosing to be homosexual, but presenting to children that the choice is there at such a young age is hard to swallow. I wasn't really planning to see this, even as someone who watched power rangers after school almost daily as a kid. I entertained the idea of watching on netflix one day and probably still will, but i will vote with my wallet here. I saw Logan, Kong, and Get Out. All great movies.
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
ashikenshin
Subscriber
 
ashikenshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,833
lol, you are all homophobic if you don't like this movie! it's already settled.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Based on the context of the line (without having seen the movie, of course), it fits into the overall theme of "finding yourself" the movie seems to be running with. The line itself seems pretty throwaway, to me.

$5 says it features the same amount of screentime and overall impact as the scene in Star Trek Beyond where we see Sulu's husband and child.
You might be right but I'm not going to take my kids to see it just on the off chance that you'll give me $5 if you were wrong.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
TheMadHatter
Squire
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: texas
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
lol, you are all homophobic if you don't like this movie! it's already settled.
I'll suck yo dick...I got these cheeseburgers man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4nupAxvNw
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
You might be right but I'm not going to take my kids to see it just on the off chance that you'll give me $5 if you were wrong.
And that's fair.

I just think it's a little silly to automatically jump on the, "They're pushing an agenda/forcing The Gay on our kids!" bandwagon.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,635
LOL. The Power Rangers is a crappy IP regardless of which direction they want to penetrate you. Garbage.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #14
excalibur1814
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 710
Blog Entries: 1
I sit in a room with another guy, three women, but I'm the only person that doesn't have kids. The stuff they talk about!

Being gay is cool, apparently, in U.K. schools. So is girls wanting to be boys etc.

Frankly whatever or whomever you want to be is cool. I'm not going to bat an eyelid at these things. There WILL come a day when an LGBTA (In case Aliens land I've added A) individuals will not have to state, "I'm x or y" just like straight guys/gals don't walk into a room stating 'I'm straight'.

One day it SHOULD be... SLGBTA (The S stands for straight)

We are, after all, one day species of floppy legged meat bundles. Mmmm Meat.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
excalibur1814
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 710
Blog Entries: 1
DAMMIT. I need an edit button. Or be able to proof read posts.

"We are, after all, one big species of floppy legged meat bundles. Mmmm Meat."
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
And that's fair.

I just think it's a little silly to automatically jump on the, "They're pushing an agenda/forcing The Gay on our kids!" bandwagon.
Oh I'm sorry, have you just had your head in the sand the last few years or what? Didn't you hear about the all female Ghostbusters for the sake of having an all female lead cast? Or how the Oscars should reward movies based on diversity because its all so too white! If you've missed the cultural marxism push in media as of late you're either an idiot or for it. So which is it?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Oh I'm sorry, have you just had your head in the sand the last few years or what? Didn't you hear about the all female Ghostbusters for the sake of having an all female lead cast? Or how the Oscars should reward movies based on diversity because its all so too white! If you've missed the cultural marxism push in media as of late you're either an idiot or for it. So which is it?
If only life were so black and white.

This particular project is neither the Ghostbusters reboot, nor is it affiliated with the people who run the Oscars. What we're dealing with is a property that has - since it's inception - had very diverse casts. Despite the issues early in the series' life, they regularly featured casts that were "inclusive" long before it became a buzzword. This isn't any different.

I'm all for utilizing more culturally diverse casts...when appropriate. I've never been fond of casting people just to check off a box.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
If only life were so black and white.

This particular project is neither the Ghostbusters reboot, nor is it affiliated with the people who run the Oscars. What we're dealing with is a property that has - since it's inception - had very diverse casts. Despite the issues early in the series' life, they regularly featured casts that were "inclusive" long before it became a buzzword. This isn't any different.

I'm all for utilizing more culturally diverse casts...when appropriate. I've never been fond of casting people just to check off a box.
Really? Because I don't ever remember the show bringing up sex at all, never mind it being pivotal. And that it sounds like you're denying a very real push in cultural marxism across media in general isn't really all that shocking.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #19
UttiniDaKilrJawa
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 534
I really don't care how many gay characters are in a movie. I'm just tired of directors / producers / marketing teams having to always announce..."hey look a gay person!!!" for every stupid movie.

Gay people don't walk around with town criers announcing 'hear ye hear ye here be gay guy!!!' . So why do we need the big announcement for the movies / tv shows. If you have gay characters just put them in unannounced just like they are in the real world.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by UttiniDaKilrJawa View Post
I really don't care how many gay characters are in a movie. I'm just tired of directors / producers / marketing teams having to always announce..."hey look a gay person!!!" for every stupid movie.

Gay people don't walk around with town criers announcing 'hear ye hear ye here be gay guy!!!' . So why do we need the big announcement for the movies / tv shows. If you have gay characters just put them in unannounced just like they are in the real world.
Thank you, well said. This out of control attempt to pander to 3% at most of the population is getting quite old.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM.