Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Division 2 Dive Into the New Dark Zones and Organized PvP

The Division 2 is coming on March 15 and launching with two major avenues for multiplayer. The first is the Dark Zone, or rather, Dark Zones. There are three of these lawless and lucrative hybrid PvE/PvP areas where players can hunt and be hunted by enemy factions and other players. Each claims its own unique neighborhood of Washington, DC, and each has its own stories to tell. Their gameplay dynamics are evolving as well, giving you more ways to go Rogue, and more opportunities to earn valuable loot. The second multiplayer destination is Conflict, where players will face off in fierce organized PvP firefights. We've played both and here's what we've learned so far.

Crime Pays

There's a new way to go Rogue for fun and profit in the Dark Zones: become a thief. Break into a locked chest or steal the entire contents of a DZ drop, and you'll earn more loot than you normally would. You'll also be marked Rogue and become vulnerable to attack from your fellow Agents, but your thievery will reveal a hidden signal. Follow it by completing more Rogue actions, and you can eventually unlock a secret entrance to the Thieves' Den, where you'll have access to a special vendor with tempting wares. As a bonus, you'll have your Rogue status cleaned and cleared, so you can resume life as a normal, law-abiding Division Agent. For now.

Clean Loot

Some of the gear you loot in the Dark Zones will be contaminated; in order to equip it or sell it, you'll need to head to a designated area, signal for an extraction, wait for the helicopter to arrive, secure your loot to the rope, and then protect it until the helicopter flies away. Extractions are a tempting target for other players looking to go Rogue and rob their fellow Agents, so securing your contaminated loot is always a bit risky. However, in The Division 2, some of the loot you find in a DZ will be clean. That means you can equip it whenever you like and you can't lose it if you die, so your DZ runs will be that much more lucrative.

Normalization

If a player with powerful gear rolls up on a player with weak gear, the results could be messy. That's where normalization comes in. In The Division 2, most Dark Zones will be normalized, which means all gear and weapon stats are brought within a narrow range, ensuring no one totally outclasses anyone else. So while you can still take your prey down quickly with a clever ambush, you now have a better chance to react, survive, and decide whether to engage or retreat.

Occupied Dark Zones
About

Most Dark Zones will be normalized, but some will not. Once you reach the Endgame, Dark Zones will start becoming Occupied for set periods of time. An Occupied Dark Zone is not normalized, so every ounce of juice you can squeeze out of your gear will give you an edge. Furthermore, there are no icons to tell you who's Rogue and who isn't, and friendly fire is always on. Really makes you wonder what sort of loot is in store for players willing to brave those conditions...

Shades of Rogue

Take this short quiz to discover how Rogue you are:

Have you just entered a Dark Zone, or only fought enemy factions? You are not Rogue. Other players cannot damage you unless they are Rogue.

Have you broken into a chest, stolen an entire DZ drop, or held down the button to toggle you and your teammates Rogue? Then you are Rogue. You can attack other players to gain XP, currency, and steal their loot, but any other player can try to take you out.

Have you turned Rogue and taken out another player? You are now Disavowed Rogue. The red icon means you are more visible on the map to other players, so watch your back.

Have you really leaned in to the Disavowed Rogue thing and killed a bunch of other Agents? You have reached your final form: Manhunt Rogue . All players are alerted to your presence, the bounty on your head is sizable, and other Agents will be very interested in taking you down.

Knowing the four Dark Zone states is essential to living your best Dark Zone life, as is knowing how to clear your Rogue status. Visiting the Thieves' Den, dying and respawning, hacking a Manhunt terminal, or letting your timer expire without performing Rogue actions are reliable ways to get clean. If you want to double down, though, you can sabotage the Manhunt terminal. This will make your Manhunt more difficult, but also more rewarding. Just remember you'll still have to find and access another terminal to lose the Manhunt and get your loot.

Ease Into It

If you're having visions of getting jumped by other players immediately upon entering a Dark Zone, fear not. Your first visit to a Dark Zone will be a PvE mission, so you'll only have enemy factions to worry about. These missions give you a chance to learn how that Dark Zone turned dark, and to get to know the lay of the land. For example, one of the DZs began as a depot for shipments of military gear, so be on the lookout for ways to use shipping containers and rail cars to your advantage. Keep an eye on the vegetation as well; Washington, DC is pretty overgrown these days, and the tall grass can obscure your position while you and your teammates stalk your prey.

Organized PVP

If you just want to get right into firefights with your fellow Agents, Conflict is the place to do it. This is where you'll find organized PVP, with three custom-made maps and two modes at launch (Skirmish, a team deathmatch in which deaths deplete your teams' respawn tickets; and Domination, a battle for control of strategic points). These fights will be normalized, just like the Dark Zone, and be set up with skill-based matchmaking. Conflict will have its own progression track and rewards, although the opportunity to scare the crap out of other players with explosive crossbow bolts is a reward unto itself.

We're going to learn a lot more about The Division 2 in the lead-up to launch on March 15 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Pre-order now to guarantee access to the private beta, or register at thedivisiongame.com/beta for a chance to get in.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Seems like they still haven't figured out that very few people ever played the Dark Zone. It was the entire reason that the game just died on the vine after release.

Battle Royale is one thing... no one wants to lose their loot in a PvP match.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Agreed. I kept just standing outside the DZ door asking myslef, WHY am I going in here again?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Agreed. I kept just standing outside the DZ door asking myslef, WHY am I going in here again?
We played a couple of times and it just wasn't worth it. You just get ganked all the time by people with better loot or a bigger group and the items you get weren't really worth all the hassle.

It isn't the PvP that is the problem, tons of games have PvP, it was that you first have to do PvE to find the loot, then PvP to get it out. No one wants to lose the stuff they just earned in a PvP match and that is the lesson they still don't seem to have learned.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

What a waste of development resources. Some games just aren't meant to be played PvP and Division was one of them. For them to double down on Dark Zone in Division 2 just goes to show how stupid companies are. They feel like they have to check off all the boxes and someone around there is invested into this whole "Dark Zone" concept. "Oh look, I got out with my life and 4 whole pieces of equipment I can now decontaminate and find out what exactly it is!"

The idea they know they need to "ease" most people into it means they recognize people don't want to deal with PvP so they sugar coat it with PvE then team play and all sorts of other layers of bullshit because most people will otherwise tell them PvP sucks balls and they don't want it.

The only other way they get people into PvP (who aren't otherwise included toward PvP play, and my experience is most players Division players are not included to knock-down drag out PvP play) is because the rewards are so out of whack you can't afford to ignore them.

In fact, that they show they put this this much effort into the Dark Zone makes me second guess my desire to buy the game. Especially the "what kind of loot could drop under THESE insane conditions" hints.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Primus
Valar Morghulis

You go in there for the best loot and farming mats. Endgame was entirely built around it.

Regardless, they did figure it out because they are adding dedicated PvP matches for the less adventurous, but have it in there for those who did love the DZ. Everyone wins.

PSN: SUPERxJUMPS
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
You go in there for the best loot and farming mats. Endgame was entirely built around it.

Regardless, they did figure it out because they are adding dedicated PvP matches for the less adventurous, but have it in there for those who did love the DZ. Everyone wins.
They haven't figured out shit. The end game was built around forcing people into a mode almost no one wanted to engage in except for the people who liked seeing a the small trickle of suckers who hadn't learned their lesson yet zone in.

Nobody wins here.

1) Everyone gets a watered down PvP "experience" with shit loot for "the less adventurous"
2) The alternative is a barren PvP for the gankers which is a brick wall blocking the best loot and therefore access to the endgame behind the worst type of players the game has to offer
3) Everyone suffers as thousands of man hours are invested into a proven failed mode which doesn't serve more than then jollies of a small fraction of the playerbase and has to be forced upon the rest (see point 2)

This is horseshit and it lost Ubisoft a full-price retail sale from someone who was a rabid fan of the first game all the way up to the point where they force you into Dark Zone in The Division 1 if you wanted to advance.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
Primus
Valar Morghulis

The DZ in the first game could be the most efficient way to get gear, but it did not gate it, it simply added a risk/ reward aspect to the game.

So with the Division 2, we're getting solo play, the high stakes DZ mode, and a traditional skill-based PvP matches that will earn you loot. Seems like they are catering to everyone.

PSN: SUPERxJUMPS
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
They haven't figured out shit. The end game was built around forcing people into a mode almost no one wanted to engage in except for the people who liked seeing a the small trickle of suckers who hadn't learned their lesson yet zone in.

Nobody wins here.

1) Everyone gets a watered down PvP "experience" with shit loot for "the less adventurous"
2) The alternative is a barren PvP for the gankers which is a brick wall blocking the best loot and therefore access to the endgame behind the worst type of players the game has to offer
3) Everyone suffers as thousands of man hours are invested into a proven failed mode which doesn't serve more than then jollies of a small fraction of the playerbase and has to be forced upon the rest (see point 2)

This is horseshit and it lost Ubisoft a full-price retail sale from someone who was a rabid fan of the first game all the way up to the point where they force you into Dark Zone in The Division 1 if you wanted to advance.
Eh if you want high end gear, there's a risk to it, I keep forgetting this is generation "hold my hand easy mode"
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #12
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Eh if you want high end gear, there's a risk to it, I keep forgetting this is generation "hold my hand easy mode"
Is it easy mode or I have limited play time due to responsibilities so spending my evening playing a game and then losing my gear means no actual gain in the game I had barely any time to play?

I think The Division was not a great game anyhow. The campaign became dull and repetitive so I don't have much interest in this game anyhow.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Is it easy mode or I have limited play time due to responsibilities so spending my evening playing a game and then losing my gear means no actual gain in the game I had barely any time to play?

I think The Division was not a great game anyhow. The campaign became dull and repetitive so I don't have much interest in this game anyhow.
I have limited time too, that being said after all these years of gaming, I'm tired of paint by numbers, on rails, linear stories that especially in the last handful of years, developers have dumbed games down to the point where there is zero effort needed to succeed.

The Division was flawed, it too spent time in development hell and suffered for it, it did get better over time but by that point most people stopped playing. I doubt I'll get this at launch, but I appreciate that it seems they listen to the community and are going into it this time with a better understanding of having options for ALL play styles. Not just PVP. We'll see if it pans out. I do however like the idea of risk/reward for top tier gear.

I also wish developers would take a page from Red Dead Redemption 2's singleplayer plot, especially in open world games because so much more can be done than the usual Fallouts or Farcrys etc that are so fucking predictable it's not even funny anymore.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 for example for what it was, until you get to the end and realize none of the choices you made mattered. Every ending is exactly the same. Same thing with anything Bioware has done lately, every ending is exactly the same regardless. It's unacceptable. That will likely be the case with The Division 2 as well sadly but still, so much more can be done to make open world games actual living breathing worlds rather than just a bullet point for the back of the box/product description when 9 out of 10 times it doesn't live up to the hype.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:

PvP isn't a "risk reward" equation. If you knew the first thing about practical game design and development instead of all the talking out your ass so you could get in a nice insult you'd know it.

If there is one thing we've found in the last 20 years is PvP is not a good way of creating "evergreen" content. And gating PvE power behind PvP walls is a retarded way of forcing people who prefer PvE content to engage in PvP content.

People who do not scale well to the killer traits of the Bartle scale rarely change their preferences ESPECIALLY when there is a penalty for losing. When there is consensual elements AND the penalty for losing is low then you can entice people to dabble but they will rarely change their player persona and adopt the traits which embody someone who enjoys the killer aspect.

This has nothing to do with Risk Reward and everything to do with personality traits, who you want to play your game, and where you spend your development dollars. I'm arguing they are wasting their time and money on PvP which, if you look at anything except hardcore PvP games, have a very low tail of engagement over time. PvP is NOT sticky for games that have a large majority of their content as PvE with a fractional PvP element.

Either go all in or you've basically got nothing. The sales and engagement curves are clear on this.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
Booda
Beam another Blast

I still love reading posts from people bitching about "The Dirty Zone". If you don't like it, don't play it. I had some of my most intense gaming moments in years running The Dark Zone.

Good times but you definitely have to have yourself in a certain frame of mind to be able handle it much less enjoy it.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:

PvP isn't a "risk reward" equation. If you knew the first thing about practical game design and development instead of all the talking out your ass so you could get in a nice insult you'd know it.

If there is one thing we've found in the last 20 years is PvP is not a good way of creating "evergreen" content. And gating PvE power behind PvP walls is a retarded way of forcing people who prefer PvE content to engage in PvP content.

People who do not scale well to the killer traits of the Bartle scale rarely change their preferences ESPECIALLY when there is a penalty for losing. When there is consensual elements AND the penalty for losing is low then you can entice people to dabble but they will rarely change their player persona and adopt the traits which embody someone who enjoys the killer aspect.

This has nothing to do with Risk Reward and everything to do with personality traits, who you want to play your game, and where you spend your development dollars. I'm arguing they are wasting their time and money on PvP which, if you look at anything except hardcore PvP games, have a very low tail of engagement over time. PvP is NOT sticky for games that have a large majority of their content as PvE with a fractional PvP element.

Either go all in or you've basically got nothing. The sales and engagement curves are clear on this.
Very well said.

I like some single player games. I enjoy some multiplayer games. Rare are games that have both,that I will invest time into both.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

LOL I love how you take one tiny part of my post and claim the entirety of it is dumb. In the case of The Division that's how they've designed the game. I get it I primarily prefer sp myself over PVP or MP in general but I'm not going to pitch a hissy fit about it because one developer is doing things in a different way. Besides they've already said they're adding alot for PVE minded folk to do in this. Just pass on it Vallor, it's obviously not for you.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
LOL I love how you take one tiny part of my post and claim the entirety of it is dumb. In the case of The Division that's how they've designed the game. I get it I primarily prefer sp myself over PVP or MP in general but I'm not going to pitch a hissy fit about it because one developer is doing things in a different way. Besides they've already said they're adding alot for PVE minded folk to do in this. Just pass on it Vallor, it's obviously not for you.
Agreed. The dark zone was a bitch of a place, especially when you had four rogue murderers on a rampage. That being said, consensual no risk PVP is lame and pointless. Look at WoW right now. You can turn on "war mode" or you can just run around without a care in the world. I agree with both sides in this....I think the dark zone should have endgame gear that has bonuses towards killing other people, but those who want nothing but PVE can just avoid the dark zone and focus on the raids (or whatever the endgame pve mobs were called).
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
Exodus
Evil Dead

How can you be afraid in the dirty zone? They got hold your hand whoever kills another player telegraphs their position to everyone bullshit. The DZ is far too fucking pansy catering. At least they got a regular pvp mode. Kill my highway robbery by automatically planting a tracker on me for all to see when I perform what is supposed to be a 'feature' in the game.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #20
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
How can you be afraid in the dirty zone? They got hold your hand whoever kills another player telegraphs their position to everyone bullshit. The DZ is far too fucking pansy catering. At least they got a regular pvp mode. Kill my highway robbery by automatically planting a tracker on me for all to see when I perform what is supposed to be a 'feature' in the game.
Totally agree. Like I said, it was only an issue (been a year since I played) when there were four bad mofos grouped up merc'ing everyone in their path.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the division 2