Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 07:42 AM
315 Replies, 92,091 Views

Old 01-31-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Nintendo Switch has Surpassed 52 Million Lifetime Sales

Quote:
Nintendo has sold 52.48 Switches since its 2017 launch, its quarterly earnings report revealed Thursday, bringing it beyond the Super Nintendo Entertainment System's (SNES) 49.1 million lifetime sales. Before the holidays, the hybrid console had sold 41.67 million units, meaning it saw a jump of 10.81 million over the last quarter.

Beating the SNES makes it the Japanese company's third-most-popular console. It has yet to topple the NES' 61.91 million sales and the Wii's 101.63 million. The Wii is the fourth best-selling console overall -- Sony's PS2 is the most successful with sales of 155 million.

A more detailed breakdown shows that, of the 52.48 million Switches sold, the standard version of the console made up 47.3 million units and the more compact, portable-only Switch Lite (which came out in September 2019) sold 5.19 million units.

Nintendo sold more than 830,000 Switches in the US over the Thanksgiving weekend alone, it said last month.
Cnet.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Right now the Switch is my most used console, and I don't plan on upgrading to the new xobx, or ps5 anytime soon. If I upgrade anything it will be the PC.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
Right now the Switch is my most used console, and I don't plan on upgrading to the new xobx, or ps5 anytime soon. If I upgrade anything it will be the PC.
Same. Upgraded my PC about half a year ago. Between the RX 5700 XT and my Switch, I have everything I need.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Subscriber

My kids go back and forth between Switch and PS4. The PS4 is mostly for playing Star Wars Battlefront 1/2 and Destiny while the Switch gets used for everything else. Overall I'm pleased with the system. I've gamed on it more than I thought I would and the kids absolutely love it. My wife even joins us on the Switch occasionally for some family game nights.

It hasn't been without its headaches though. We had a joycon just go bad on us early on. The system wouldn't recognize it one day. We also had a problem with the joycon analog drifting which was common apparently. I've owned a lot of Nintendo hardware over the years and it's usually all rock solid stuff. It was disappointing but they covered everything as far as shipping and repair costs.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Funny I'm the opposite.. Xbox & PlayStation fan here. I could almost care less if I never played another game on a PC or Nintendo platform again.

Which is funny because 20 years ago I was a PC master race elitist snob. And an Amiga elitist snob 10 years before that.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I use my Switch all the time. Love it.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I recall, awhile back on this forum, being slammed for being positive about the Wee.

My reply now:

Hah.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Nintendo's got the shit on lockdown right now. I don't know for how much longer with technology and the subsequent market going through shift, but to be able to take games like Stardew Valley, Bloodstained, and then some AAA's and Nintendo's flagship titles on the go, as well as play on the TV? it's been huge for me.

For the graphics extraordinaire experiences, I've got my PC.

It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo does long-term though. That aside, fucking mainline Animal Crossing coming in March. MmmmmMMMMM!
Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

With this number, Nintendo has moved into second place and knocked MS down to third in three years time. Which is impressive. But when you have a clear vision, spot on messaging and marketing, and huge third party games that people can take on the go it makes sense that the Switch would take off.

Congratz to the big N, sucks to be MS right now. Here's to Prime 4 hitting when Switch Pro/Switch 2 launches!
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I recall, awhile back on this forum, being slammed for being positive about the Wee.

My reply now:

Hah.
The wii sucked, and the switch doesn't. Make something that doesn't suck, and we'll like it.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
With this number, Nintendo has moved into second place and knocked MS down to third in three years time. Which is impressive. But when you have a clear vision, spot on messaging and marketing, and huge third party games that people can take on the go it makes sense that the Switch would take off.

Congratz to the big N, sucks to be MS right now. Here's to Prime 4 hitting when Switch Pro/Switch 2 launches!
It's funny to me that people will eat the shit sandwich of downgraded visuals and controls and pretend they're not eating a shit sandwich out of brand loyalty.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It's funny to me that people will eat the shit sandwich of downgraded visuals and controls and pretend they're not eating a shit sandwich out of brand loyalty.
For me this has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I have a shit ton of consoles/PCs, and own hundreds of games.

Controls downgraded??? I have zero issues with the Switch controls.

Downgraded visuals??? It's a portable system that plays The Witcher, and other AAA titles. I'm on the road more than I'm home, so I can now play these awesome titles. Lots of great games that don't look as good as the PC/Console counterparts, but play just as well. I'm a gameplay kind of guy with graphics coming in second.

Your argument of "not good graphics" is dumb.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #13
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
For me this has nothing to do with brand loyalty. I have a shit ton of consoles/PCs, and own hundreds of games.

Downgraded visuals??? It's a portable system that plays The Witcher, and other AAA titles. I'm on the road more than I'm home, so I can now play these awesome titles. Lots of great games that don't look as good as the PC/Console counterparts, but play just as well. I'm a gameplay kind of guy with graphics coming in second.

Nice try but there ain't no getting this message through that skull of his.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

The joy cons aren't comfortable at least for me at all. I can get it if you're away from home then it's a boon, for me I'd rather play a superior looking PC or PS4 version with comfy controls. Granted you can at the very least buy a normal controller and plug it into the base.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #15
cjrizzo
Reaper

PS4 and Switch are now dominating my time. The XBOne has received minimal play time for the last several months from me. Between Sony, Nintendo and a PC, I can play everything I want. And with GamePass on PC, I'm not sure I need to buy hardware from Microsoft in the future. I am definitely not jumping into the next-gen with Microsoft on Day 1, especially with the compatibility they are promising.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

PC + Switch = all the quality gaming time you could ask for. Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime coming, too. Pretty mind boggling. I was JUST playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Switch and was dumbfounded how amazing my favorite hobby has become. Playing FUCKING Valk Chronicles in my bed, handheld, before I go to bed. Silly good.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:05 AM   #17
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrizzo View Post
PS4 and Switch are now dominating my time. The XBOne has received minimal play time for the last several months from me. Between Sony, Nintendo and a PC, I can play everything I want. And with GamePass on PC, I'm not sure I need to buy hardware from Microsoft in the future. I am definitely not jumping into the next-gen with Microsoft on Day 1, especially with the compatibility they are promising.
In the long run MS would rather sell you on services that they can get reoccurring revenue than on selling you hardware.

If they can sell their games on Sony, Nintendo, and PC through a Gamepass service, they don't need the money pit that is Xbox hardware.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:37 AM   #18
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Speak for yourself, hack. You bought Xenoblade 2 for yourself. Sure hope you came to your senses and returned that. And what of your wife? Do you chastise her for her interest in the downgraded visuals of Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion on Nintendo Switch? Is she pretending she's not eating a shit sandwich, blinded by brand loyalty? What a disappointment she must be.

And you're going to allow your kid to be exposed to this digital garbage, too? Wow, what a great father you are.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; 02-04-2020 at 01:52 AM..
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:51 AM   #19
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:

Nah - it's just garbage from Spectral. While I disagreed with him - I used to think he actually was championing a principle or something. But, he's just a double standard fraud.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:48 AM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
Speak for yourself, hack. You bought Xenoblade 2 for yourself. Sure hope you came to your senses and returned that. And what of your wife? Do you chastise her for her interest in the downgraded visuals of Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion on Nintendo Switch? Is she pretending she's not eating a shit sandwich, blinded by brand loyalty? What a disappointment she must be.

And you're going to allow your kid to be exposed to this digital garbage, too? Wow, what a great father you are.
She hasn't touched the thing in weeks. Lack of shit even she wants to play. Can't say I didn't see that coming however. Btw obvious bitter fanboi is bitter.

Tags
nintendo, spec bait, switch