Yesterday 09:19 PM
18,156 Replies, 2,924,378 Views

Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

State of Decay 2 Reviews "a steady drip of bugs and glitches"

IGN - 7.5/10

Quote:
State of Decay 2ís zombie-infested maps are good places to scavenge, fight, and survive in. Combat is satisfyingly brutal and the special zombies inspire some real fear of permanent death, even though the Blood Plague turns out to be more of a sniffle. But the bugs are just as persistent as the zombies, and after a dozen or so hours the repetition of both eventually take their toll, making the appeal of replaying feel more limited than Iíd expected for a sandbox RPG.
USgamer - 3.5/5

Quote:
If you can deal with a healthy dose of bugs, State of Decay 2 is an extremely satisfying and unpredictable management sim with a solid action-survival game laid on top. The sequel's improved UI, new multiplayer component, and additional maps help it stand out from its predecessor, even if the moment-to-moment is largely the same.
Game Informer - 6.5/10

Quote:
I ran into a steady drip of bugs and glitches during my solo experience. Some were funny, like watching zombies fall into the world while driving quickly on the roads (roads that, State of Decay veterans should know, now arenít frequently littered with impassible blockades). Animations unfurl in goofy and unexpected ways. Others were less hilarious, like when items vanished or companions teleported back to base without any provocation. Those issues are magnified in co-op. Characters skitter around each other, barely able to keep up with their friends. Flashlights are basically broken. Cars disappear or warp onto their sides before bursting into flame. Zombies materialize within armís reach, and start chowing down on your character before you have time to react. I wonít recite the litany of problems; youíll see plenty if you spend a few minutes playing the game.
VideoGamer - 6/10

Quote:
State of Decay 2 has some lovely elements that will make you want to keep playing, and yet others that make you want to turn it off again, so you get caught in a fretful loop of not knowing what to do with yourself. Like some kind of restless corpse shuffling back and forth with no purpose, perhapsÖ?
GameSpot - 5/10

Quote:
Perhaps if State of Decay 2 had the kind of depth that drew you in, these technical faults would be easier to overlook. But itís because of the lack of meaningful motivations that they stick out so predominantly. State of Decay 2 settles into a rhythm that might be easy for you to pass some hours with, but itís never a ride with genuine surprises, excitement or purpose. Thereís promise in so many systems that it introduces, but theyíre woefully underutilized to make space for repetitive activities that are nowhere near as exciting to engage with. State of Decay 2 feels like the lumbering enemies that populate its country mountains. Aimless, wandering, and just out of place.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

This is really disappointing. After everything they learned from the first one, the publishers just couldn't give the development team enough time to work out the bugs, again?

FFS, I couldn't take being a dev.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Vulture
Evil Dead

bugs and glitches from a MS supported in house team on Xbox1? WTF? There is no reason for MS to have released this. The only reason the DEVs released this, is that they have actually been partying hard for years after being bought out, and were forced to release something (remember Undead labs originally promised massive multiplayer zombie game) just like that DEV team in Dallas who admitted they spent their budget on strippers and drugs.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Not getting this since they don't want to sell on Steam.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

Haven't experienced any bugs with me and my buddy 8hrs in so meh
Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I had this one crash to desktop twice right after launch and then I gave up.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

No steam, mid range score, foolish coop designer choices.

I'm going to pass, I was hoping this would giving me a reason to dive in to this series, but I'm going to pass.

I'm looking for a good coop game for me and my gf to play, this looks like a nightmare in regards to player progression online.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
m.c.
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
Not getting this since they don't want to sell on Steam.
Ditto here. And wanna charge existing owners for the enhanced version just puts me off.
m.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Been playing co-op with a buddy and it is a lot of fun. It also looks gorgeous on the XB1X. No bugs so far.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #10
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I ended up buying it out of curiosity. Figured I would report how it's been for me.

I played for about 2 hours on XB1X, started to actually enjoy it (surprisingly because I didn't like part 1). I didn't experience any bugs, crashes or glitches. I don't know if it has been patched or what, I haven't been following it.

Then, since buying on Xbox also gives me the PC copy, I downloaded it and started playing on PC. It feels better to me with m/kb, and I still haven't experienced any bugs. Maybe they come later, idk, but I'm running a 1070, playing in 1440p.

Think I'll play this one mostly on PC. My 1080ti arrives tomorrow, so might as well.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

UPDATE: Yesterday I had my first crash to desktop. According to the Xbox desktop app, I have played 4 hours and 26 minutes. So there's a stat for you. One crash in 4.5 hrs.

Another interesting thing: I'm playing in 1440p all settings maxed, and the framerate varies between 30 and 60fps and it's hard to tell why. Again I'm running a 1070, 32gb of ram, I7 6700, and run Far Cry 5 in the same resolution and settings maxed and it stays locked at 60fps. Point is, State of Decay clearly has optimization issues.

Still, it's pretty fun, I'm just playing solo/offline. None of the aforementioned issues have really been a problem. Yeah a crash, it happens. It'll be interesting to see how it performs with the 1080ti later today.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
UPDATE: Yesterday I had my first crash to desktop. According to the Xbox desktop app, I have played 4 hours and 26 minutes. So there's a stat for you. One crash in 4.5 hrs.
I had it crash the first two times I started it up, then played for about 15 minutes and had it crash again. I pretty much gave up after that.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
NightRain
Evil Dead

I played about 3 hours last night, outside of some weird pop ins the game seems pretty good. I didn't have any crashes and was playing on Xbox One X.

I'm playing as part of game pass so I didn't buy an actual copy.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
state of decay 2