Today 06:56 AM
9 Replies, 598 Views

Old 07-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

ArenaNet fires two Guild Wars 2 writers over Twitter exchange with YouTuber

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
UPDATE 2.30PM BST: I've received an official ArenaNet statement. It reads: "We strive to cultivate an atmosphere of transparency around the making of our games and encourage our teams to be involved in open, positive discussion with our community. Earlier this week, two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communication with our players and fans, and they are no longer with the company."

ORIGINAL STORY 1.30PM BST: ArenaNet has fired two writers ostensibly for their reactions to Twitter comments from a partnered Guild Wars 2 YouTuber.

"Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players," announced ArenaNet co-founder and president Mike O'Brien in the Guild Wars 2 forum. "Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they're no longer with the company.

"I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you."

The writers in question are Jessica Price, who had been with ArenaNet nearly a year, and Peter Fries, who had been with ArenaNet for more than 13 years.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Let me see if I'm getting this right here....

A female game developer goes on a feminist rant on the Internet over a suggestion (non-sexist) from a YouTuber and is fired for it?

ArenaNet, I love you!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Let me see if I'm getting this right here....

A female game developer goes on a feminist rant on the Internet over a suggestion (non-sexist) from a YouTuber and is fired for it?

ArenaNet, I love you!
Meh, don't look too much into it, I'd bet money many people at the company agree with her but are smart enough not to spout off in a public forum about it. Companies don't like it when you force them into a position where they need to defend you, especially if you're not even not that important in the grand scheme of the company's financial future. Just ask James Damore about his diversity manifesto. You'd think people would've learned a thing or two from that stupid bitch Roseanne Barr torpedoing her career over stupid shit. She was practically guaranteed at least two more seasons and all she had to do was shut up and not make an ass of herself in public and she managed to fuck that up royally.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

That was hilarious and it prompted me to carefully rewatch the planet of the apes.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

Kinda interesting, because looking at the response on twitter it seems like Arena smelled the blood in the water from the fan base. Particularly with respect to Peter Fries, who tried to come to her aid but did so in a very hamfisted way. He basically said people shouldn't offer their unsolicited opinions through social media, which prompted a huge backlash.

If I was Arena.net I'd be pissed to max throttle because I've got a senior guy out there spouting some clearly dumb-ass shit and he's got enough seniority to make it appear like this a commonly held belief across the organization.

My guess? Management called them in and demanded they do some Twitter-grovelling to the fans, and they attempted to defend themselves. If cyberpunk has taught me anything, it's that corporations don't value disobedience.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

What a shitshow. Price went way overboard with her tweet in response to a person who pretty much engaged her with a reasonable response trying to start a dialog. Peter was white knighting or something. No idea what he thought he was doing. Met him once, seemed like a decent enough guy but... sheesh.

Arena.Net is in the heart of Liberal-Town Washington State and most of the staff is so progressive even though they are all issued two monitors for work they only use the left one.

You can be sure there is a great deal of hurt feel-feels right now and maybe even a small rebellion brewing. Monday will be interesting.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Apparently she made some vicious tweets towards Total Biscuit when he passed away as well. Sounds like a real progressive winner!
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
inscribed
Evil Dead

If you've got your employer's name plastered over your social media account, and you're specifically posting about a work-related subject... then you really shouldn't be surprised to have fans of your employer responding. You should also be enough of an adult to realize you probably shouldn't be kicking up a shitstorm while broadcasting who you work for. If you want privacy, don't broadcast who you work for and keep your settings restricted to friends only.

The sad part is, this whole thing comes right after a reddit AMA where Deroir had just mentioned how big of a fan of her work he was. He was probably looking forward to starting a discussion with someone he looks up to in the field, only to have not one, but two developers turn around really shit on him.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

"Boohoo, this is my private social media account. I'm off the clock"

Private? No, anything you say on a social media platform is far from private. If you want to have such opinions, keep them off the internet unless you want to gamble with your job. I swear, people don't fucking learn.

That Deroir dude was nothing but civil, yet Price had to bring up gender like all other useless modern feminists.

She comes off like a total asshole during her replies and I don't feel bad that she lost her job. At all. Maybe she can go join Zoe Quinn on her next game.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Haha. The more I read into this, the more I'm laughing.

I'm so tired of all these toxic feminists. Yea, we get it, you have a vagina. Shut the fuck up about it already. You're not oppressed.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 AM   #11
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Man I'm sick of people being fired immediately over saying stupid shit on both sides. It rarely happens like this I admit, where a radical left winger gets shit canned, but still, I dont like this. I'd rather they give her an ultimatum where she is forced to apologize for trashing the company's customers, or she can take her leave. Her ego was out of control. Remember when "the customer is always right"? The poor bastard did nothing but try to explain that it's possible to write a good character in an MMO, because this woman bitched about how it's not possible. He was trying to give her a little boost, and she had none of it.

But this is why I only do anonymous accounts on social media.

Last edited by Mozgus; 07-08-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
Man I'm sick of people being fired immediately over saying stupid shit on both sides. It rarely happens like this I admit, where a radical left winger gets shit canned, but still, I dont like this. I'd rather they give her an ultimatum where she is forced to apologize for trashing the company's customers, or she can take her leave. Her ego was out of control. Remember when "the customer is always right"? The poor bastard did nothing but try to explain that it's possible to write a good character in an MMO, because this woman bitched about how it's not possible. He was trying to give her a little boost, and she had none of it.

But this is why I only do anonymous accounts on social media.
I for one, am a full proponent of people living with the consequences of their stupidity. Like Spectral's parents.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
I for one, am a full proponent of people living with the consequences of their stupidity. Like Spectral's parents.
And thank you for continually proving the point of what vile people liberals are.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
And thank you for continually proving the point of what vile people liberals are.
Yup not adhering to stupid conspiracy theories that appeal to your idiotic insecurities is vile.

You stupid insipid fuck.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Apparently she made some vicious tweets towards Total Biscuit when he passed away as well. Sounds like a real progressive winner!
Cuz progressives are known for their twitter shenanigans in this day and age...

And because you believe in civil polite discussion (ha!)

Also, keep calling me liberal... first of all, I'm not a liberal.. secondly Liberalism (the word traditionally defined, not your neo left Amurrican idiocy) is a valid ideology. But hey, just call them cucks and make stupid frog cartoons.. and of course snowflakes..

Then freak out at any comparison to nazis to your side etc.

Fucking hypocritical douchenozzle.

(Off, but on topic, Arena net writer bitch got what she deserved.)
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Cuz progressives are known for their twitter shenanigans in this day and age...

And because you believe in civil polite discussion (ha!)

Also, keep calling me liberal... first of all, I'm not a liberal.. secondly Liberalism (the word traditionally defined, not your neo left Amurrican idiocy) is a valid ideology. But hey, just call them cucks and make stupid frog cartoons.. and of course snowflakes..

Then freak out at any comparison to nazis to your side etc.

Fucking hypocritical douchenozzle.

(Off, but on topic, Arena net writer bitch got what she deserved.)
Did you see what Peter Fonda wrote about Baron Trump? The left is unhinged, and the only people still in denial about it are liberals. So what does that make you sunshine?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #17
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
It rarely happens like this I admit, where a radical left winger gets shit canned, but still, I dont like this. I'd rather they give her an ultimatum where she is forced to apologize for trashing the company's customers, or she can take her leave.
This is probably exactly what happened; guess which choice they made?

I lived in the Puget Sound area for 3 years and just recently moved away. It was shocking how self-entitled people there were. NOT JUST THE LIBERALS. ALSO THE SEMI-RURAL CONSERVATIVES. It's a really weird little pocket of America where everyone feels like they are being slighted against and need to explain themselves. It got old really fast.

By contrast I now live in California and find it to be comparatively chill and rational.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 AM   #18
Rommel
International Playboy

Really, really weird story. Employee goes to public forum to discuss, gets a polite response from the masses in return and blows up. Then her drunk friend goes and makes an equal-sized fool of himself. I'm glad these two got fired, I sure wouldn't want them associated my company's name if this is how they react to a friendly public response they invoked.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #19
ashikenshin
Subscriber

While I don't think you should be fired for being a twat on social media. Progressives have been pushing for this kind of reaction for a while, now they have to deal with it when it happens to them as well. Expect a lot of articles stating something along the lines of "you shouldn't be fired for calling out racists on social media" lol
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #20
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
While I don't think you should be fired for being a twat on social media. Progressives have been pushing for this kind of reaction for a while, now they have to deal with it when it happens to them as well. Expect a lot of articles stating something along the lines of "you shouldn't be fired for calling out racists on social media" lol
Oh the media spin on this even took like 3 hours. The usual suspects like kotaku immediately defended her, made her out to be some hero against the sexist trolls. She's been interviewed about the firing as well and she obviously learned nothing. She said she feels awful that she encouraged other women to work for ANet and acts like they'll get fired if they "speak the truth" as well. The truth...lol jesus christ. She also apparently has no idea the man was also fired alongside her, since that destroys her sexism narrative.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arenanet, guild wars 2