1 Replies, 192 Views
Nic Cage fights an...
Last post by TheHulk
Yesterday 04:50 PM
15 Replies, 1,150 Views

Old 10-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #21
Azzy
Cthulian

I won't pre-order this but it's a day 1 otherwise. I'll take all the 4k and/or ray tracing I can get.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Trailer was nice and all, but would it have killed them to show one guy getting capped?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I saw this earlier on the Epic Store and, for just a second, I remembered Rockstar is a 2K studio and their LAST big PC release was an Epic Store exclusive.

They wouldn't do that with Red Dead, would they? As of right now it is NOT being advertised in any way, shape, or form on Steam.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

That would be a real coup for the Epic Store, for sure. Wouldn't surprise me.

Used to irritate me that another...and another...and another digital storefront/launcher would be required for this or that game. I no longer care. Steam needs competitors. They've been pretty crappy for several years running now. I have literally spent $250 in the past three years on Steam, much of that on content for a couple of heavily played games. Their sales have sucked.

Used to love Steam. Don't really care any longer. Have to launch a game through a different shortcut? Whatever. Same for television content. Welcome to the Balkans...to Yugoslavia...to a wide open jungle of options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #25
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
That would be a real coup for the Epic Store, for sure. Wouldn't surprise me.

Used to irritate me that another...and another...and another digital storefront/launcher would be required for this or that game. I no longer care. Steam needs competitors. They've been pretty crappy for several years running now. I have literally spent $250 in the past three years on Steam, much of that on content for a couple of heavily played games. Their sales have sucked.

Used to love Steam. Don't really care any longer. Have to launch a game through a different shortcut? Whatever. Same for television content. Welcome to the Balkans...to Yugoslavia...to a wide open jungle of options.
I use to feel the same way, and I'm with you now. Steam isn't the golden boy it once was, and I'm willing to look elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I use to feel the same way, and I'm with you now. Steam isn't the golden boy it once was, and I'm willing to look elsewhere.
See I never thought Valve the golden boy. In fact I hold Valve largely responsible for destroying the PC retail market in general.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #27
Terran
Evil Dead

Revisionist nonsense. Steam launched in 2003 but its early incarnation was a shadow of it current incarnation. Boxed PC retail game sales were already a losing proposition for retailers, with space in the early 2000s typically limited to a rack or two of boxes and the rest to console, handheld, and high-margin plush garbage and collectable lead-laced made-in-China trinketshit.

Digital is what has killed retail PC boxed sales since Steam launched, and that didn't require Steam to become a reality, either; it was coming one way or another. That has been going on for years, even prior to the following chart's 2010 starting point.

Quote:
Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #28
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Thanks for agreeing that digital killed retail, what do you think Steam is Terran?
Old 10-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #29
Terran
Evil Dead

First when Steam launched, it wasn't even a storefront, it was a means to patch their titles.
Second, when Steam launched, retail boxed PC sales were already declining.
Third, while Steam was still tiny, retail boxed PC sales were continuing to decline.
Fourth, Steam is not the only digital distribution network.
Fifth, console and handheld platforms were the competitors that killed off retail PC sales, not digital.

What happened to retail sales of boxed PC games was already happening prior to Steam, continued while Steam was tiny, and would have occurred even without Steam. Digital distribution has actually kept the PC viable as a platform. Without digital distribution, it would be a niche. Either way, with or without digital, retail PC was disappearing. Console and handheld platforms were taking over.
Quote:
Old 10-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #30
Terran
Evil Dead

Here's more evidence that Steam in fact has helped PC gaming survive and thrive.

PC retail sales were dying from the late 90s through 2011. Steam came about in 2003 and grew to be the preeminent distribution platform for PC games at a time when PC retail sales were already dying from console sales pressures.

Steam saved PC gaming.

A complete, year-by-year, sector-by-sector breakdown of global gaming industry revenue, from 1971 to present.

Observations:

-Arcades were the largest sector of the gaming industry until 1997. If you missed this period of gaming, you missed THE BEST PERIOD FOR GAMING, PERIOD! Amazing time.
-Consoles were the biggest market sector every year from 1997 through 2011.
-The PC market was bigger than the console market from 1994-96, overtook consoles again in 2013, and has held its lead since
-Mobile has been the largest sector since 2012
-Before 2019 (projected), the last year of overall decline in gaming industry revenue was 1995

-Peaks of each market sector in % of annual market share:
Arcade: 1971/72/73 (100%)
Console: 1976/2000 (40%)
PC: 1995/2014/2015 (29%)
Handheld: 2007 (24%)
Mobile: 2018 (48%)
VR: 2020 (6%, projected)

-Peaks of each market sector in total revenue:
Arcade: 1982 ($27b)
Console: 2018 ($27b)
PC: 2018 ($35b)
Handheld: 2007 ($16b)
Mobile 2018 ($67b)
VR: 2020 ($8b, projected)

Source: Bloomberg.
Quote:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #31
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
First when Steam launched, it wasn't even a storefront, it was a means to patch their titles.
Second, when Steam launched, retail boxed PC sales were already declining.
Third, while Steam was still tiny, retail boxed PC sales were continuing to decline.
Fourth, Steam is not the only digital distribution network.
Fifth, console and handheld platforms were the competitors that killed off retail PC sales, not digital.

What happened to retail sales of boxed PC games was already happening prior to Steam, continued while Steam was tiny, and would have occurred even without Steam. Digital distribution has actually kept the PC viable as a platform. Without digital distribution, it would be a niche. Either way, with or without digital, retail PC was disappearing. Console and handheld platforms were taking over.
Terran don't you know by now, Spectral is COMPLETELY IMMUNE to facts.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #32
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Here's more evidence that Steam in fact has helped PC gaming survive and thrive.

PC retail sales were dying from the late 90s through 2011. Steam came about in 2003 and grew to be the preeminent distribution platform for PC games at a time when PC retail sales were already dying from console sales pressures.

Steam saved PC gaming.

A complete, year-by-year, sector-by-sector breakdown of global gaming industry revenue, from 1971 to present.

Observations:

-Arcades were the largest sector of the gaming industry until 1997. If you missed this period of gaming, you missed THE BEST PERIOD FOR GAMING, PERIOD! Amazing time.
-Consoles were the biggest market sector every year from 1997 through 2011.
-The PC market was bigger than the console market from 1994-96, overtook consoles again in 2013, and has held its lead since
-Mobile has been the largest sector since 2012
-Before 2019 (projected), the last year of overall decline in gaming industry revenue was 1995

-Peaks of each market sector in % of annual market share:
Arcade: 1971/72/73 (100%)
Console: 1976/2000 (40%)
PC: 1995/2014/2015 (29%)
Handheld: 2007 (24%)
Mobile: 2018 (48%)
VR: 2020 (6%, projected)

-Peaks of each market sector in total revenue:
Arcade: 1982 ($27b)
Console: 2018 ($27b)
PC: 2018 ($35b)
Handheld: 2007 ($16b)
Mobile 2018 ($67b)
VR: 2020 ($8b, projected)

Source: Bloomberg.
Steam saved PC Gaming? While putting the final nail in the coffin for retail PC sales at the same time? LOL Oh sure Valve SAVED PC GAMING! Some of you guys are beyond fucking moronic.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #33
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Steam saved PC Gaming? While putting the final nail in the coffin for retail PC sales at the same time? LOL Oh sure Valve SAVED PC GAMING! Some of you guys are beyond fucking moronic.
As the data shows, Steam did not kill retail boxed PC sales. Retailers were transitioning away from PC boxed games and were moving primarily to console products but also to handhelds and the rest of the assorted crap those stores sold then and still sell today (collectible cards, dolls, etc.).

Steam started up, retail PC sales continued to shrink as a part of the overall pie due to the preeminence of console gaming products, and shelf space continued to shrink. Hence, you'd find a few racks at most of random PC stuff, due to consoles, not Steam.

Steam began pushing digital content as the first of a wave of digital content providers in the gaming space. Digital was the final nail in the retail boxed PC sales coffin, but the coffin had already been built by consoles and nailed mostly shut by sales of console hardware/software.

Digital is the final of several nails in the PC retail sales ecosystem, but it is also the salvation of PC gaming, hence PC gaming is actually larger in the past few years than it ever was when it sold only boxed/physical content at retail. Steam has been the center of the PC digital universe for years, hence it gets credit for invigorating that ecosystem and as a result PC gaming as well, not for killing anything, douchenozzle4brains.

So in summation, it was the Jews. The JEWS destroyed PC gaming, not Steam. You really are a fucking idiotic anti-Semitic washed up has-been, lol.
Quote:
Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #34
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
As the data shows, Steam did not kill retail boxed PC sales. Retailers were transitioning away from PC boxed games and were moving primarily to console products but also to handhelds and the rest of the assorted crap those stores sold then and still sell today (collectible cards, dolls, etc.).

Steam started up, retail PC sales continued to shrink as a part of the overall pie due to the preeminence of console gaming products, and shelf space continued to shrink. Hence, you'd find a few racks at most of random PC stuff, due to consoles, not Steam.

Steam began pushing digital content as the first of a wave of digital content providers in the gaming space. Digital was the final nail in the retail boxed PC sales coffin, but the coffin had already been built by consoles and nailed mostly shut by sales of console hardware/software.

Digital is the final of several nails in the PC retail sales ecosystem, but it is also the salvation of PC gaming, hence PC gaming is actually larger in the past few years than it ever was when it sold only boxed/physical content at retail. Steam has been the center of the PC digital universe for years, hence it gets credit for invigorating that ecosystem and as a result PC gaming as well, not for killing anything, douchenozzle4brains.

So in summation, it was the Jews. The JEWS destroyed PC gaming, not Steam. You really are a fucking idiotic anti-Semitic washed up has-been, lol.
Steam helped kill off an already in decline PC retail market, it was absolutely one of the nails in PC retail skus existing. Pretending it didn't contribute to the end of PC titles being @ retail is silly. I miss the old days of having boxes manuals and maps and posters, now we pay more for a fucking digital key and people cheer for it.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #35
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I never really liked Steam, I liked "owning" my games, but once Steam was all there was, I embraced it.

Now I look at this mish-mash of 10 different game installers from every company on the planet and I realize that Steam was better.

What is going on in PC gaming right now is just another reason for me to keep buying my games on a console. I don't need 10 different platforms. Xbox or PlayStation, I'll stick with 2 platforms not 10.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #36
Terran
Evil Dead

Different platforms? When they function properly you're simply using a different shortcut key to open the game you're playing on your single platform, the PC. Some of these digital storefronts work better than others, though, and that has been frustrating for some folks, but it's not all that different from simply launching a different shortcut.

Someone will invent a nice little utility at some point that causes all the friends lists to work together so you can be in touch w/your pals regardless of which storefront you used to launch a title. Or maybe they already have.

Consoles are worse in the biggest aspect, in that typically when the hardware is outdated so is your software. At least on PC your content carries forward continually.

They all have their benefits. Frankly, I have more time on my phone than anything else. Too busy for deep dive gaming.
Quote:

Tags
red dead redemption 2