Dragged Across Concrete
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:18 AM
2 Replies, 231 Views

Old 02-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Netflix Denied #Oscars #Oscars2019

Netflix was denied Best Picture at the Oscar's tonight, with it's Roma being nominated. Despite this Roma took home several awards, earning it 3 Oscar's out of 10 possible nominations. These wins give it a sort of credibility it had always lacked. Yet while Netflix has been dominating our TV's and smart devices for years, it hasn't created a top winner. Does it appear Hollywood is snubbing the online behemoth?

Via CNet

Quote:
Netflix was relying on Roma, which won the Golden Globe for best foreign language motion picture and a Bafta for best film, to finally earn it Oscar prestige in top categories. The wins burnish Netflix's credibility as a go-to place for top-tier original films. While Netflix is known for prestige television series like The Crown or Orange Is the New Black, the streaming service's films have gotten the cold shoulder from the Oscars in the past.
Official Winner list HERE.
Photo Source: Drudge Report

What say you, EvilAvatar? Does the politics turn you off too much to care, or will you at least chime in since you do probably watch enough movies to contribute to Hollyweird's riches? <either way they win
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Mostly the politics turns me off so much that I don't care to watch the show. I'm usually vaguely interested in which movie wins best picture because I watch a TON of movies, but that depends on the slate.

There was really nothing nominated this year that I cared about. Black Panther wasn't even the best super hero movie last year, let alone good enough to be a best picture choice so that was obviously (like BlacKKKlansman) a diversity choice and not a serious contender for best picture.

As for Roma, I don't know that Netflix is all that invested in winning an Oscar for "Best Foreign Language Film". That's not much of a crown in their hat since it wasn't even something they produced, it was just another in a long list of foreign films that they scooped up the licensing for.

I'm sure what they want to see is a win for something they actually financed and produced and that's going to be hard because to even be considered a movie has to have a theatrical release. Plus, you know Hollyweird isn't exactly chomping at the bit to find themselves replaced by streaming services, despite the fact that all the AAA actors are doing Netflix original movies.

I think it will happen eventually for Netflix, but not until they cement in their place as a producer of original content a little more.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Aside from games, films are one of my favorite passions.

Every year, the "Best Picture" nominees are typically not even interesting to me. So what did or didn't win are irrelevant. I appreciate smart and unique films apparently more than the academy does, and the hype surrounding the awards also turn me off. I don't give a flying, leaping, flipping FUCK what people were wearing as they walked into the venue. I don't care that Brie Larson hates white men. I don't want to know these people, because the more we know them, the more they are pathetic.

Also I won $50 on Black Panther not winning. Know someone who guaranteed it would win because of identity politics. But I bet on history, they never care about comic book films.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

And it is not like Roma was an amazing movie either.

I was mostly bored with it.

Nominating Black Panther for best movie was bad. The oscars have been a joke for several years. Also this:

NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #5
holysin
Evil Dead

Sometimes I forget this site is actually Racist Avatar
holysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysin View Post
Care to point out the racist quote?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
If we were racist, we wouldn't have bothered to watch Black Panther in the first place.

Not to mention that I'm totally jazzed to go see US.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
Nominating Black Panther for best movie was bad. The oscars have been a joke for several years. Also this:
Is it sad that Hollywood is so stupid these days that I can't tell if that's a real image or a meme?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Juan
Evil Dead

I honestly don't understand how anyone could be entertained by watching a group of millionaire liberals giving each other awards while telling you how to live your life. I've always found award shows to be self-indulgence of the highest, vomiting inducing order.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Still waiting for the racist quote. Remember that disagreeing opinions are not racism
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Still waiting for the racist quote. Remember that disagreeing opinions are not racism
We are totally not racist around here, we treat everyone with equal cruelty and disdain.

Or equal praise and worship. Though, that's getting harder to find in Hollywood these days.

Though I do find the summer popcorn flicks to be great. I don't expect much, they don't deliver much and I walk away feeling like I got my money worth.

On the other hand, indie films like The House that Jack Built, The Man who Killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot or Mandy... well, I had to mail those guys an extra check because I felt I owed it to them.

It's hard to list my personal favorite movies from last year, because I saw so darn many it's hard to remember what I saw.

Overlord
The House that Jack Built
Hereditary
Deadpool 2
Glass
Bird Box
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Bad Times at the El Royale
Ready Player One
A Quiet Place
Tag
The Sister's Brothers
Mandy

I'm sure I'm missing a few. I'll mull it over.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
The oscars (or whatever the even was) exists solely for the actors to be able to demand (even) higher salaries.

Never cared about what they nominate/grant/say/show/etc. I watch movies I like to watch, who gives a F what the oscars/hollywood have to say about them. They either make them or they don't, after that they can all just STFU.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
Oddmaker
Developer

Can't see why it's a problem.. actors, actresses, script writers, producers etc the list is endless, if they are getting paid well then no ones going to turn down something Netflix offer to them, small movies that people haven't heard of go on Netflix and get noticed, it's a good thing Netflix is around. Hell some of Netflix's movies that have been released have been pretty good!

I think the Oscars are trying to stay oldskool and not wanting to get with the times.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Is it sad that Hollywood is so stupid these days that I can't tell if that's a real image or a meme?

Yeah, that looks like something that belonged on The Onion ten years ago.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I honestly don't understand how anyone could be entertained by watching a group of millionaire liberals giving each other awards while telling you how to live your life. I've always found award shows to be self-indulgence of the highest, vomiting inducing order.
I have to completely agree with this post, whether you are serious or not. My only caveat is I'd remove "liberals" because while they are certainly the ones most guilty currently of directing others' lives, I'm not interested in being told by conservatives or independents how to live my life either.

Good post. My goodness, what happened to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
They are to liberals, if they didn't have double standards and identity politics they'd pretty much have nothing at all at this point. Slavery ended over a 100 years ago, if you ask a liberal it's never ended, gotta perpetuate racism, can't divide people without it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #17
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
They are to liberals, if they didn't have double standards and identity politics they'd pretty much have nothing at all at this point. Slavery ended over a 100 years ago, if you ask a liberal it's never ended, gotta perpetuate racism, can't divide people without it.
I can't remember who said it but I liked it put this way, and I'm paraphrasing...

"The demand for racism has exceeded it's supply".
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I can't remember who said it but I liked it put this way, and I'm paraphrasing...

"The demand for racism has exceeded it's supply".
Most definitely, hence the vast amount of fake hate crimes those on the left keep pushing, only to find out all of them are started by the person claiming the hate crime, not just this Jussie douche but across college campuses as well there's been a number of debunked hate crimes self perpetuated. It's almost as though the left is actively clamoring for a race war at this point.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

It is times like this I trust the Babylon Bee to help bring perspective.

Nation's Wealthy, Privileged Gather To Lecture Nation On Evils Of Wealth, Privilege

Quote:
HOLLYWOOD, CA—According to sources at the 91st annual Academy Awards ceremony this evening, the nation's wealthy, privileged elite gathered to lecture the nation on the horrendous evils of wealth and privilege.

The wealthiest 0.00001% of the nation arrived at the exclusive, walled-off, high-security event in limos and luxury cars driven by servants in order to spend a few hours telling the nation's poor and middle-class citizens how they need to throw off the yoke of oppression put on them by the wealthy elite.

"It's the white, privileged, wealth hoarders that are ruining America," said one white, privileged man whose net worth is estimated at $160 million. "All you people in the cheap seats at home: you need to do better."

"America is just a terrible nation with no opportunity," said one woman who made $100 million wearing costumes and reading words someone else wrote off a page. "We must stop the 1% from hoarding all the wealth." Upon being informed she was well within the 1%, she clarified that it was actually the 0.000001% who are the problem.

Unfortunately, it looks like the event will proceed as planned next year as well.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drudge report, netflix, oscars 2019, roma, twitter