Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Azrael
Today 03:45 AM
11 Replies, 427 Views

Old 11-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Brian Michael Bendis Leaves Marvel, Signs DC Exclusive

Marvel comic book legend Brian Michael Bendis has signed and exclusive deal with DC. Newsarama has the story.

Quote:
Brian Michael Bendis has jumped from Marvel to DC in a "multiyear, multi-faceted" exclusive deal. DC made the announcement this morning via Twitter, with the author retweeting the statement.

"We are beyond thrilled to welcome Bian Michael Bendis exclusively to the DC family with a multiyear, multi-faceted deal," reads DC's tweet. "He's one of the premier writers in the industry having created so many unforgettable stories wherever he's been and we cant' wait to see what he has planned for the DC Universe."

The DC projects Bendis will be working on have not been disclosed, nor have details of when the author's Marvel projects would conclude or how it would impact his numerous creator-owned project published under Marvel's Icon imprint.
Comicbook.com: Marvel Releases Statement On Brian Michael Bendis

Quote:
Marvel Comics has provided ComicBook.com with a statement in response to the news that writer Brian Michael Bendis will be leaving the publisher to write exclusively for DC Comics.

Bendis has been a writer at Marvel for over 15 years, and the statement reflects the longstanding relationship between the writer and the publisher.

“Brian is a great partner and has contributed incredible stories and characters to the Marvel Universe over the years. We appreciate his creativity and professionalism, and we wish him the best on his future projects.”
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

This is a big deal. Brian is an excellent writer. He has gone full SJW in recent years, so I lost interest in his books. It will be intersting to see what he does at DC.

This would be a good time for Marvel to make Uncanny X-Men great again.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This guy is completely repellant in his politics and I place a lot of blame for Marvel's direction due to his foothold and influence with some of the biggest characters and IPs in their stable. His plots are transparent as shit, or at least the quality must have seriously dropped in the last 5 years since I first heard of him.

I remember Marvel Heroes (the MMO) launching with a big fanfare about how the story was written by the one and only Bendis (ooohhh, ahhhhh!). I went through it and it was about as cookie cutter as it could have possibly been. I thought it was written by an 8th grader. I actually felt stupider having gone through it.

Now he's left Marvel in ashes I guess it's time to go finish what the SJW lites over at DC have started. They needed to call in the big guns.

Fuck this guy.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Marvel has always been political/civil rights commentary. It's just a matter of whether or not you agree with the message, or the story is good enough to keep you around. There hasn't been any storyline that kept me interested since the early 2000's.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

holeee cow.

This is truly, truly interesting. I wonder what it means?

I read an interview with Bendis a while back that had a very strange tone to it. The interviewer was of the tone, "Hey! I'm glad to be talking to Mr. Marvel! I bet they let you do whatever you want over there now, right?" and Bendis was like, "Hey. I'm just a writer. I do what they tell me to do. I put in my opinions, but ultimately I just write what they tell me to write." Which seemed so odd.

It could just be that he's literally written everything there is to write at Marvel and he's ready to move on.

But, if DC lets him truly do his thing and have universe level control, DC could really right a lot of the wrongs that I've felt they've perpetrated over the past few decades. (I think pretty much everythign DC has done since Identity Crisis has been bad, except for Capulo and whatshisface's Batman books.)
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

DC now has super AIDS.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Wherever he goes, I think it's important that comics from all the major publishers continue to push ideological points of view that piss off and drive away customers, and to reorient beloved characters into new, unrecognizable, and repellent perspectives and positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post

But, if DC lets him truly do his thing and have universe level control, DC could really right a lot of the wrongs that I've felt they've perpetrated over the past few decades. (I think pretty much everythign DC has done since Identity Crisis has been bad, except for Capulo and whatshisface's Batman books.)
I really have enjoyed Scott Snyder's take on Batman and even King's recent Batman run.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I really have enjoyed Scott Snyder's take on Batman and even King's recent Batman run.
I haven't been able to read King's Batman yet. But his Vision was outstanding so I'm all-in on reading his Batman.

As much as I dislike geoff Johns, his Rebirth seems to be at least trying to re-right the DC ship.

personally I don't think DC will truly be able to right the ship until they get rid of JIm Lee and Dan Didio. Mainly Didio. He's just too old and out of touch.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

THe problem with DC is that there is no ship needing to right. They built their business off the back of more adult titles like Watchmen and Dark Knight and now they think those “negative” titles were the problem.

I disagree, those titles were what made them famous. Watchmen, Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Moore’s Swamp Thing.... those are the titles people are still reading decades later. No one cares about stuff like Rebirth, Flashpoint or their crappy overpriced lenticular covers.

Go back to telling self contained adult stories and the readers will flock back to your characters like when Ed Brubaker took over Captain America. No one cared about Cap before that and suddenly it was the hottest comic in the world.

Until they want to hire real writers again and not just artists who think they can write (like Jim Lee) they will continue to struggle.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I also think both Marvel and DC will keep struggling until they start to compensate their staff. All the best artists and writers only do their own books for fear of not getting movie/TV/toy rights if they create something that catches on with fans.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
THe problem with DC is that there is no ship needing to right. They built their business off the back of more adult titles like Watchmen and Dark Knight and now they think those “negative” titles were the problem.

I disagree, those titles were what made them famous. Watchmen, Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Moore’s Swamp Thing.... those are the titles people are still reading decades later. No one cares about stuff like Rebirth, Flashpoint or their crappy overpriced lenticular covers.

Go back to telling self contained adult stories and the readers will flock back to your characters like when Ed Brubaker took over Captain America. No one cared about Cap before that and suddenly it was the hottest comic in the world.

Until they want to hire real writers again and not just artists who think they can write (like Jim Lee) they will continue to struggle.
Get ready for gender fluid Batman. Oh, and of course Flash and Cyborg will have a love affair.

#Buttman
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Get ready for gender fluid Batman. Oh, and of course Flash and Cyborg will have a love affair.

#Buttman
Just going to leave this here
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

I don't know if I quite agree. While I can't speak to the quality of The Dark Knight Returns (I haven't read it in about 10 years, but I never liked it. I need to try it again.) you are right that Watchmen, The killing Joke and Swamp Thing are great books. But that's because Allan Moore is a great writer. His in continuity stuff is also fantastic.

I would argue that the reason why the "dark" takes that DC is, arguably, famous for happen to be well received is most often BECAUSE they are dark takes on characters who are not dark.

The big Batman Vs. Superman fight in DKR is really only remarkable because they are two characters who, at that point, would never fight. And moreover, it went agains the, at that point, common knowledge that Superman would win. It's popular because it's transgressive.

I have never felt that DC was a dark universe. I don't think DCs characters work well when they are hopeless. Even Batman, who needs help from time to time to remain hopeful, fights because he believes that he can make a difference and turn Gotham into a better place.

I think that darkness only works when it has light to juxapose itself against. Even the Watchmen, which is an extremely dark book, positions itself as a dark time in the lives of people who used to live a much brighter existence. And, indeed, one of the major themes of the book could be said to be the question of whether those good times ever really existed, or whether it was all just a lie.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I also think both Marvel and DC will keep struggling until they start to compensate their staff. All the best artists and writers only do their own books for fear of not getting movie/TV/toy rights if they create something that catches on with fans.
I don't blame artists and writers for looking out for their own best interests. It's not as if Marvel or DC has been historically good to most of the people who worked for them over the years. Their treatment of talent is precisely why we have Image Comics, after all. 25 years ago, working for Marvel and DC would have been considered by many to be the pinnacle of a career. Now, they're more of a stepping stone toward getting to do work that you actually own.

With that being said, DC certainly has a "ship to right"; New 52 was nothing short of a fiasco and they've come a long way since Rebirth to help correct the mistakes made since that previous reboot...but, there's still some work to be done.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
The big Batman Vs. Superman fight in DKR is really only remarkable because they are two characters who, at that point, would never fight. And moreover, it went agains the, at that point, common knowledge that Superman would win. It's popular because it's transgressive.
In the original comic they pretty much explain why Batman wins, Batman comments about how Superman never shuts up the whole time even while Batman is kicking his ass. His "humanity" is one of his main weaknesses so he can't see what Batman has in mind because he's still trying to reason with Batman the whole time.

The fight makes a lot more sense in that context than in the BvS movie where you don't get that internal discussion side of things.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
In the original comic they pretty much explain why Batman wins, Batman comments about how Superman never shuts up the whole time even while Batman is kicking his ass. His "humanity" is one of his main weaknesses so he can't see what Batman has in mind because he's still trying to reason with Batman the whole time.

The fight makes a lot more sense in that context than in the BvS movie where you don't get that internal discussion side of things.
in DKR, a weakened Superman holds back so hard it's almost comical and is still winning the fight... until Kryptonite comes into play. In BvS, aka Proof of the Nonexistance of God, Batman beats up a Superman actively trying to win despite not using any of the powers that make the fight a cakewalk. It's dumb and not even the worst part of that seventeen hour trainwreck of a film.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #19
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Does Bendis not look exacly like George Washington in that photo up top?

Tags
dc comics, holy shit!, marvel comics