Yesterday 12:31 PM
8 Replies, 608 Views

Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

DC Films Gets New Leadership After Justice League Misses The Mark

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
There's a changing of the guard happening at Warner Bros. and DC Films. It was revealed in December that Jon Berg and Geoff Johns were being replaced as the heads of the DC Entertainment films division, and now the new head has been announced.

Producer Walter Hamada, whose credits include It, The Conjuring, and Annabelle, is stepping in to guide the future of DC properties on the big screen. The move, which was first reported by Variety, comes after Justice League failed to meet its critical or box office hype in late 2017, leaving many wondering what the future of the DC movie universe would look like.

With so many films announced, Warner Bros. is counting on Hamada and Johns, who will remain the DC Entertainment president, to right the ship. "I'm confident Walter and Geoff, working with our filmmaking partners, will deliver films that will resonate with both broad global audiences as well as DC fanboys and fangirls," Warner Bros. President and Chief Content Officer Toby Emmerich says in a statement.

Given that production on DC's next movie, Aquaman, has already wrapped up due to its December 2018 release, it's possible any major tonal shifts that come as part of the leadership change won't be noticeable until Shazam hits theaters in 2019. However, Hamada has experience working with directors James Wan (Aquaman) and David F. Sandberg (Shazam), serving as an executive producer on their previous work in the horror genre.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
IGXGamingTV
Gamer. Streamer. Patriot.

That's a good thing, I guess. I still don't get the hate against JL. I thought it was a descent movie. My only critique was not enough Superman. Sups fighting them all was pretty damn cool, though.
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Over the years I have liked a lot of Geoff Johns work as a writer for DC. But he has not done well at the helm of DC Comics, or with DC Films. Wonder Woman has been the exception. Although it had some rough spots, Gal Gadot has emerged as a star. If DC can make Wonder Woman 2 a very good film it will be huge.

I wonder if Batfleck will get the boot now? Following his Harvey Weinstein memory loss he has become even more of a pariah.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGXGamingTV View Post
That's a good thing, I guess. I still don't get the hate against JL. I thought it was a descent movie. My only critique was not enough Superman. Sups fighting them all was pretty damn cool, though.
Personally I thought JL was a terrific movie. Probably about the best I saw in a year I'd watched more movies in the theater than in the last decade. It was one of the few I didn't feel like I'd wasted my money. I don't think the problem is with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns except in the fact they won't force Zack Snyder to make changes or outright remove him.

In the JL movie Superman coming in and basically trivializing everything is one of the biggest problems DC has always had and it was on great display here. He outclasses everyone to such an extent they're going to have to be very careful how they set up the fights with JL2 to make sure everyone seems to equally contribute.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

Soooo I finally just got around to watching Thor Ragnarok and then watched Justice League afterwards.

I think what they did in Thor was actually probably the best little bit of this and little bit of that. It was action and funny in the right amounts though I think the last fight scenes lacked where zack excels. I kind of found Justice Leagues action not quite as exciting and it flowed a little quick but I mean hulk vs. thor is really hard to compete with followed by shared enjoyment when loki says "YES, THAT'S WHAT IT FEELS LIKE" if anyone remembers the first avengers when hulk did that to him for the first time.

But what about story and great delivery moments that make you like a character that much more? Honestly only watchmen's done that for me out of the comic book movies aside from unbreakable. Rorschach, dr. manhatten and the great end villain's monologue just perfect verses to the chorus of ass kicking. Maybe that's what Zack doesn't have this time around. Great writing material? I mean it's not like graphic novels were ever up for great dialogue though it does have its share.

Maybe zack snyder should just go direct samurai jack the movie.

Last edited by Exodus; 01-05-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Justice League was a lot of fun. Thor, on the other hand, was a train wreck of stupid Three Stooges forced humor; terrible.

Not sure what DC has to do to get in the game here, but they need help. BvS was terrible...just the worst...and their ticket sales aren't where they need to be.

Hope they pull it off. They have great characters. Superman was an ass kicking beast in JL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Justice League was a lot of fun. Thor, on the other hand, was a train wreck of stupid Three Stooges forced humor; terrible.
Thor has actually degenerated from the hot-headed fish-out-of-water Affluenza kid to something worse; redundant comic relief in a franchise that is already well stocked with comic relief in the form of much better writing and characters in GotG.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

Not sure what DC has to do to get in the game here, but they need help. BvS was terrible...just the worst...and their ticket sales aren't where they need to be.

Hope they pull it off. They have great characters. Superman was an ass kicking beast in JL.
I donít think itís going to be hard for DC to right their ship. All they have to do us try. They KNOW what works. They theyíve had successful Batman shows on TV since the 80s and they have a whole network of live action shows on TV. Their problem was trying to be subversive and have a ďtakeĒ on their characters that wouldnít make them look like they were copying Marvel. They hired a bunch of people who hate their characters to work on their films. Itís no mystery why people donít like it.

I have no problem with hiring a guy who wants to ďsayĒ something about Superman, but if what he wants to say is ďI hate the idea of SupermanĒ, what are audiences supposed to like about that? Why would anybody pay a ticket to watch a Superman movie by a guy that hates Superman? It makes no sense.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I donít think itís going to be hard for DC to right their ship.
Well, here's to hoping! They have a great stable of characters, both heroes and villains. I've seen glimmers of excellence in their stuff. I hope they can shine going forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Maybe zack snyder should just go direct samurai jack the movie.
He is better when he is adapting something else. If you look at his Dawn of the Dead remake and/or Watchmen those are his best movies. When he writes his own stuff you get Sucker Punch or Man of Steel.

That is one of the reasons I still love Batman v Superman. The bulk of the film is adapting the big fight scene from Dark Knight Returns. They should have dumped the whole Luthor storyline and just done a straight film version of Dark Knight Returns and we would have all been cheering it and Warner would have made a billion dollars.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
He is better when he is adapting something else. If you look at his Dawn of the Dead remake and/or Watchmen those are his best movies. When he writes his own stuff you get Sucker Punch or Man of Steel.
Goyer and Nolan are the ones responsible for the Man of Steel script and story, not Snyder.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Goyer and Nolan are the ones responsible for the Man of Steel script and story, not Snyder.
Snyder directed it howerver. Snyder didn't write watchment or 300 either.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Snyder directed it howerver. Snyder didn't write watchment or 300 either.
Sure, but to say that he does better with other people's material is kind of wrong; he's screwed up just as much as he's done properly.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Sure, but to say that he does better with other people's material is kind of wrong; he's screwed up just as much as he's done properly.
I actually really liked sucker punch. It's not a good movie, at all, but it's a very thoroughly explored idea that hits the mark of being like a 90s Image comic book.

I take no pride in it, but the first thing I thought during the opening scene of sucker punch, when they showed the asylum during the montage, was "yes! They should get this guy to do Batman! This is what Batman should look like! Too bad that will never happen!"

I've never been so wrong.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
Syloney
Knight

Quote:
I agree fully. Shame not many people went to watch it while in the theaters. I only have very few qualms with the film but I loved it overall as a comic book movie. Heck, after the movie finished, I wanted more, unlike Thor that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Word of mouth is alot was chopped off for the final film.

Then again, you can't blame the exes, comparing the box-office receipts to Marvel's avengers from both sides domestic and international is quite abysmal.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
TafJaf
Dread Lord

just scrap everything and just make a Batman cinematic universe already...
TafJaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TafJaf View Post
just scrap everything and just make a Batman cinematic universe already...
And make the Legion of Super Heroes. It should be DCís answer to the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Tags
batfleck, dc comics, dc films