Last post by Juan
Today 02:15 AM
6 Replies, 686 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - War for the Boredom of the Apes

My non-stop summer movie watching continues. I've been to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Alien: Covenant, King Arthur, Spider-Man: Homecoming and now War for the Planet of the Apes.

I will start by saying that if you saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, you have already seen War for the Planet of the Apes. Despite taking a page from the old spaghetti western films and borrowing (boring?) the kind of vast panoramics, character close-ups and lone vigilante on a quest themes somehow War never Rises to the level of the classic films it is modeled after.

We never get much opportunity to care about any of the individual characters, so when they do die (and lots of apes die) there just isn't much emotional investment anywhere in the movie.

The story is pretty typical... a rogue military commander attacks the ape city, slaughters a bunch of people and then Caesar sets out to get his revenge.

Instead of getting his revenge, Caesar mostly kinda sits around in a cage for the entire movie waiting for a final battle that doesn't involve the Apes at all. I know that might be a minor spoiler, but it is kind of hard to spoil something that never happens.

The movie never takes any chances. Despite borrowing the Alpha/Omega symbol from Beneath the Planet of the Apes and throwing in character names like Nova and Cornelius, there is no Alpha/Omega bomb, no hints about psychic sub-humans and certainly no dynamic planet-shattering ending to an otherwise excellent series.

When you consider that Planet of the Apes picked up after some kind of a huge nuclear holocaust that caused mankind to revert to either sub-humans or underground psychic mutants, War for the Planet of the Apes ends with a snowstorm. Not kidding.

It feels like director Matt Reeves (who is now slated to direct the next Batman film) gave us the first 2/3rds of a movie and then just stopped because he wanted to spin out one more sequel in two years.

Meh.

I enjoyed seeing all the characters return and the CGI and 3D were excellent, but this just wasn't the big budget end-of-summer finale I was hoping for. Perhaps Valerian will be better.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Perhaps Valerian will be better.
Based on all the reviews I have been reading, you are betting on the wrong horse.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Damn dirty apes.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:10 AM   #4
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

I saw a very opposite review, the title was "Drama covered under trhe guise of a summer block buster" and the reviewer loved every second of it.

At one point he writes "there's not much dialogue in the movie, which will make it hard for some people to connect to it, BUT if one can surpass that, than you reveal a masterpiece."

At the start he claims "If you like sci-fi and drama, you mustn't miss this movie, I repeat, u mustn't miss this movie. It's a masterpiece"

So I guess he liked it better than u did
Old 07-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #5
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Based on all the reviews I have been reading, you are betting on the wrong horse.
Most of the reviews said the last was the best of the trilogy
Old 07-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
DingBat
Evil Dead

Just saw this yesterday. My wife asked me after the movie what I thought. I said: "Boring and really, really bad". Her response: "Oh thank god, I thought it was just me."

My wife also usually finds my tendency to point out plot holes annoying at time, but this time she was right there with me listing them. No spoilers, but there are some whoppers in this movie. If you like a plot that hangs together, this isn't it.

My advice is pass on this one.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Kheldar
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
We never get much opportunity to care about any of the individual characters, so when they do die (and lots of apes die) there just isn't much emotional investment anywhere in the movie.
I think they were relying heavily on the previous movies to provide empathy for the characters. Having just re-watched the first two movies shortly before seeing "War...", this worked well for me, but I can see having your thoughts on it if you hadn't seen the first two in a while.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
I think they were relying heavily on the previous movies to provide empathy for the characters. Having just re-watched the first two movies shortly before seeing "War...", this worked well for me, but I can see having your thoughts on it if you hadn't seen the first two in a while.
I just watched the previous film the night before. So I agree that they are relying on your compassion for the characters who die from the previous films, which is a big mistake. I still think having someone from a previous film just die off at the beginning of a movie is a mistake. If Captain America died in the first 15 minutes of Avengers Infinity War I don't think it would have much impact. It has to be kept within the story itself or it just doesn't work.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
actusoul
Evil Dead

I still like the original films much better. What happened to the bomb? So much more character depth in the original. The actors were much better. How can you beat Charlton Heston?
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
I still like the original films much better. What happened to the bomb? So much more character depth in the original. The actors were much better. How can you beat Charlton Heston?
Exactly. Woody totally tells us that there are all these weapons still hidden in the mountains, then never bothered to show us any special weapons or even bother to show us the insdide of the mountain at all. It's a missed opportunity for sure.

Tags
planet of the apes, pure evil, war for the