5 Replies, 603 Views

Old 03-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
LOL!

How much is a Switch? $300?

We own six phones in my household worth $900+. Shall I also list the tablets, laptops, and other portable devices we have that shame the hell out of your PoS little plastic cheap-ass toy?

lololololol.
And the games for all of those devices are predominantly freemium garbage. I'd rather shell out the cost of any of the consoles, along with the price of the accompanying games, than ever rely on the crap found in Google Play for my gaming. They're great for shitter breaks at work or to pass time during a commercial break...but that's about it. If you honestly thing the experience of playing stuff like Marvel Strike Force is in any way, shape, or form comparable to something like the PS4 Spider-Man game, you're either painfully out of touch or being intentionally obtuse.

Yes, we know your kids spend most of their gaming time with bullshit freemium garbage...but they're also not representative of the market as a whole. The difference between cellphone games and something you'd find on the Switch or PS4 is like night and day. Some platforms offer complete experiences while others (such as those tablets and phones) simply don't.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #22
Chief Smash
Subscriber

You can't argue with the cash that mobile makes. But you also can't argue the difference in quality. People always bring up McDonald's vs a fine steak in these scenarios but it's true. McDonald's sells boatloads of burgers and makes gobs of cash doing it. But to say that this makes them better than a ribeye from even a chain steakhouse is ludicrous. Of course, kids aren't known for their discriminating tastes so they'd probably be happy with McDonald's every meal of every day.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #23
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
You can't argue with the cash that mobile makes. But you also can't argue the difference in quality. People always bring up McDonald's vs a fine steak in these scenarios but it's true. McDonald's sells boatloads of burgers and makes gobs of cash doing it. But to say that this makes them better than a ribeye from even a chain steakhouse is ludicrous. Of course, kids aren't known for their discriminating tastes so they'd probably be happy with McDonald's every meal of every day.
McDonald's gets the kids with the free toy and forces the parents to suffer with the crappy food.

Real people know a nice steak is where it's at.

However, I would disagree with the idea there can't be quality in mobile games. You can find some, like the Battleheart Series, with plenty of depth and fun on a device you already own.

Other games, like the maligned Strike Force, Dungeon Boss, and Galaxy of Heroes (or other hero collection games) gives some people hours of entertainment a day that they get to enjoy in chunks of 10 minutes at a time which is something few other games on classic platforms allow and have depth and strategy which shouldn't be discounted.

It's just as elitist and uninformed to bash mobile as a platform as it is to bash the Switch. I haven't actually turned my Switch on for over a year but I keep my iPad with me wherever I go as a multi-purpose device.

And I play a lot of games on it including Plague, Inc, Battleheart games, ports of PC Games like Darkest Dungeon, and Galaxy of Heroes.

Plus I can use dialed down versions of MS Office, have my entire music collection at my fingertips, watch movies or TV shows I've ripped or downloaded, and Netflix or Amazon Prime if I want (I have it connected to my LTE data plan and have cell coverage nearly everywhere I travel).

It suits my lifestyle. Some will find the Switch suits theirs.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #24
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
McDonald's gets the kids with the free toy and forces the parents to suffer with the crappy food.

Real people know a nice steak is where it's at.

However, I would disagree with the idea there can't be quality in mobile games. You can find some, like the Battleheart Series, with plenty of depth and fun on a device you already own.

Other games, like the maligned Strike Force, Dungeon Boss, and Galaxy of Heroes (or other hero collection games) gives some people hours of entertainment a day that they get to enjoy in chunks of 10 minutes at a time which is something few other games on classic platforms allow and have depth and strategy which shouldn't be discounted.

It's just as elitist and uninformed to bash mobile as a platform as it is to bash the Switch. I haven't actually turned my Switch on for over a year but I keep my iPad with me wherever I go as a multi-purpose device.

And I play a lot of games on it including Plague, Inc, Battleheart games, ports of PC Games like Darkest Dungeon, and Galaxy of Heroes.

Plus I can use dialed down versions of MS Office, have my entire music collection at my fingertips, watch movies or TV shows I've ripped or downloaded, and Netflix or Amazon Prime if I want (I have it connected to my LTE data plan and have cell coverage nearly everywhere I travel).

It suits my lifestyle. Some will find the Switch suits theirs.
Well I never said there can't be quality on mobile. It's rare but it is there but it's not very easy to find all of the time. But I've definitely had some great experiences playing games on the phone. But overall, the benefit of mobile is that it fits the every lifestyle. Kids like it because they're swimming in time and not discriminating. So they don't mind sitting through ads on lousy games as long as there are bright flashing colors. And adults like mobile because most of the time you need to be able to fit your gaming into the 5 minute chunks of free time that litter your day. And of course phones and tablets are a lot more useful. But overall, I'd still take the games on the consoles and PC any day if I could. I just can't all that often.

And if we're giving anecdotal information, my kids will play an iPad game if it's there but 99% of the time, they want to play the console instead. And it's true for all of their cousins and most of their friends at school too. The Switch in particular has been a huge hit with them as well. That's just our circle of family and friends so maybe it's not the norm.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #25
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post

And if we're giving anecdotal information, my kids will play an iPad game if it's there but 99% of the time, they want to play the console instead. And it's true for all of their cousins and most of their friends at school too. The Switch in particular has been a huge hit with them as well. That's just our circle of family and friends so maybe it's not the norm.

Tablet and phone games are for the poors imo, sorry Terran.

Im not into wasting money but sometimes your just better off buying quality stuff. My sister in law has 3 boys, 5,3,2. They played on tablets until we bought them a used Wii with a few games, now they play that instead.

So yeah, im buying old console games before im sticking a phone in my kids face. Or better yet, go outside, play in traffic. These fucking electronic distractions are out of hand be it ghetto phones or high quality nintendo products.

Why are we even discussing this? LOL. Go outside goddam it!!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #26
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
please don't
Shit. There goes my afternoon plans. Arrrgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Woooooosh!
Are you Jewish? I'll bet you're Jewish. Jew, right?

j/k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
I'd better buy a switch.
Don't do it. Turn back before it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yes, we know your kids spend most of their gaming time with bullshit freemium garbage.
LOL. The less my kids play ANY games the better. My two oldest scarcely touch any gaming crap. My son is the closest you'd get to a gamer among my kids, and even then he's too busy doing productive stuff like school, work, or extracurricular activities. Plus Monday through Friday that crap is a no-go in this household.

You know how I know it's bad for kids? The folks who make that shit don't let their own kids use it.

My oldest got a free ride to college, and she didn't get it by wasting her childhood on gaming. I enjoy it as a hobby because I'm at the age where my career and life direction have been well established for many years. In the end it's a fun giant waste of time. Don't let your kids do it much at all. Read a damn book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Woooooosh!
You think Anthem is a good game, it's not a stretch that comment wasn't sarcasm.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #28
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
My oldest got a free ride to college, and she didn't get it by wasting her childhood on gaming.
I "wasted" my childhood on gaming and was able to make the industry one of my grown up careers. It isn't mutually exclusive, ya know!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #29
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I "wasted" my childhood on gaming and was able to make the industry one of my grown up careers. It isn't mutually exclusive, ya know!
Oh FFS, you know better than this vapid nonsense.

Thousands of people in this particular career, millions of kids with absentee parents blowing their formative years on what boils down to absolutely nothing. Fun, but nothing. A dead end.

Read a damn book.
Quote:
Old 03-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #30
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:

Thousands of people in this particular career, millions of kids with absentee parents blowing their formative years on what boils down to absolutely nothing. Fun, but nothing. A dead end.

Read a damn book.
It's all "nothing", because it's all a brief "game" in the vast scale of time. The arrow of time even, is an illusion. We won't be here eventually, and nothing you thought or said will matter, nothing you accomplished, or your kids accomplished, or their kids and on and on...will matter. Whether someone played games their whole life or ran a fortune 500 company. Irrelevant. Whatever value you choose to place on either of those. Irrelevant. Arbitrary.

Just enjoy the charade. Or don't. But there is no need to "read books". There is no need to play games. Or not play games. Do what fulfills you. Or not. It's just a ride.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Just enjoy the charade. Or don't. But there is no need to "read books". There is no need to play games. Or not play games. Do what fulfills you. Or not. It's just a ride.
Gosh, what should I tell my kids or even just my students?

Door #1: Don't waste so much time on your video games. Read some books, build some brain power, prepare for a future with knowledge!

Door #2: Oh, fuck it. It's all a charade. There's no need to 'read books.' You'll be gone and forgotten soon enough!

lolololololol.
Quote:
Old 03-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #32
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's all "nothing", because it's all a brief "game" in the vast scale of time. The arrow of time even, is an illusion. We won't be here eventually, and nothing you thought or said will matter, nothing you accomplished, or your kids accomplished, or their kids and on and on...will matter. Whether someone played games their whole life or ran a fortune 500 company. Irrelevant. Whatever value you choose to place on either of those. Irrelevant. Arbitrary.

Easy on the nihilism there Mr. Everything Is Dust In The Wind

We all know the sun is going to explode one day.

If i spend my life building wealth and have money to help my kids and my grandkids if life hands them a shitty situation, (health issues) (death of a wife, husband, child) then that is NOT irrelevant. Its weird you don't see that with how many you have.

However, sitting on your ass and maxing out 10 Runescape toons over 15 years is absolutely a waste of time unless your making money on Twitch.

Both things are not equal. That said id love to be financially independent so i could lift weights and play games all day. That's my goal. I love loafing around the house, never got a chance as a kid.

Quote:

Door #2: Oh, fuck it. It's all a charade. There's no need to 'read books.' You'll be gone and forgotten soon enough!

lolololololol.

OMEGALULZ

Kids that are subjected to that way of thinking grow up to be cynical and hate filled.

But books? Really? Books are a time waster, which is fine but you need to get out and do something. Read books on topics that you will use in a real life situation.

Like how EATS needs to pick up a fuggin Haynes manual and learn how to change his oil and blinker fluid.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:26 AM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
high quality nintendo products.
We haven't seen one since the SNES.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:01 AM   #34
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
We haven't seen one since the SNES.
N64 hasnt aged well, it was a breakthrough console though.

The Wii sucked, that's it. It was re re levels of underpowered

GCN was more powerful than the PS2 and had Sunshine, Prime, Wind Waker, F-Zero, Pikmin, Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing Smash, Wave Race to name a few.

WiiU is one of my favorite consoles of all time. Dumbfucks didnt buy it because hur dur, you cant take the pad in the other room.....No shit morons, the point is 2 screen gaming. Star Fox Guard is some of the most fun ive ever had playing a game. Mark my words, screens on controllers will be back, and motards will wonder how we lived without them.

DS sold 154 Million. Everything was on that thing more than once. One of the best.

3DS is everything the DS is with better graphics.

Wat?
Old 03-28-2019, 03:09 AM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
N64 hasnt aged well, it was a breakthrough console though.

The Wii sucked, that's it. It was re re levels of underpowered

GCN was more powerful than the PS2 and had Sunshine, Prime, Wind Waker, F-Zero, Pikmin, Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing Smash, Wave Race to name a few.

WiiU is one of my favorite consoles of all time. Dumbfucks didnt buy it because hur dur, you cant take the pad in the other room.....No shit morons, the point is 2 screen gaming. Star Fox Guard is some of the most fun ive ever had playing a game. Mark my words, screens on controllers will be back, and motards will wonder how we lived without them.

DS sold 154 Million. Everything was on that thing more than once. One of the best.

3DS is everything the DS is with better graphics.

Wat?
If by N64 you mean the Playstation. The irony in that is that Nintendo could have had a big piece of that, had they not backed out of the deal with Sony. Hell they could have had a powerhouse of a console with direct from Arcade ports of Killer Instinct, Cruisin The USA etc, instead we again got an underpowered pos.

I don't give 2 shits about handhelds, never have, never will. Obviously I'm in the minority on that and I'm the first to admit it but meh to mobile gaming.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 AM   #36
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Gosh, what should I tell my kids or even just my students?

Door #1: Don't waste so much time on your video games. Read some books, build some brain power, prepare for a future with knowledge!

lolololololol.
Clearly option 2.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #37
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Easy on the nihilism there Mr. Everything Is Dust In The Wind

We all know the sun is going to explode one day.

If i spend my life building wealth and have money to help my kids and my grandkids if life hands them a shitty situation, (health issues) (death of a wife, husband, child) then that is NOT irrelevant. Its weird you don't see that with how many you have.

However, sitting on your ass and maxing out 10 Runescape toons over 15 years is absolutely a waste of time unless your making money on Twitch.

Both things are not equal. That said id love to be financially independent so i could lift weights and play games all day. That's my goal. I love loafing around the house, never got a chance as a kid.

OMEGALULZ

Kids that are subjected to that way of thinking grow up to be cynical and hate filled.

But books? Really? Books are a time waster, which is fine but you need to get out and do something. Read books on topics that you will use in a real life situation.

Like how EATS needs to pick up a fuggin Haynes manual and learn how to change his oil and blinker fluid.
Yawn* wealth is meaningless. So is the illusion of suffering.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #38
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yawn* wealth is meaningless. So is the illusion of suffering.
Well, by wealth i really mean not living in squaler or debt. you know, a paid for house, 1 new car every 20 years, basic shit that the average person doesn't have because they are too busy chasing other material things, ironically enough.

These things are not illusions, they are basic things for happiness that are totally doable with not alot of money and some planning. But most of us have been duped.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #39
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

Read a damn book.
You're acting as if it's somehow impossible to do both. Growing up, I read all the time and played video games. Still find time to do both, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
If by N64 you mean the Playstation. The irony in that is that Nintendo could have had a big piece of that, had they not backed out of the deal with Sony. Hell they could have had a powerhouse of a console with direct from Arcade ports of Killer Instinct, Cruisin The USA etc, instead we again got an underpowered pos.

I don't give 2 shits about handhelds, never have, never will. Obviously I'm in the minority on that and I'm the first to admit it but meh to mobile gaming.
The fact that you don't give a shit about handhelds or mobile gaming is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo has sold a shitload of units in the DS/3DS line. They've had some solid hardware offerings over the years.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #40
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You're acting as if it's somehow impossible to do both. Growing up, I read all the time and played video games. Still find time to do both, as well.

The fact that you don't give a shit about handhelds or mobile gaming is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo has sold a shitload of units in the DS/3DS line. They've had some solid hardware offerings over the years.
Yet not where it matters.

Tags
nintendo switch