4 Replies, 135 Views
New Annihilation...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 01:04 PM
2 Replies, 369 Views

Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #21
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I fucking hate how easy it is to bully Marvel. I don't know if it's the Disney influence or what but they spin on a dime if they annoy anyone.

I think their most recent blandness shows how you can't tell stories in a PC environment. After the first introduction of each franchise they listen to the bitching and moaning of "how they got it wrong" from the special interest groups and neuter the successive movies.

Captain America: WS is one of the few which avoided the fate, I think, by basically destroying the underpinnings of the MCU.

This is why I hope DC starts doing categorically good movies. Not even awesome-fantastic-greatest-ever. Just good movies without compromising the way Marvel does.

Also I wish I could remember how to direct people to archive versions of these articles. I hate that I gave that Saladin whatever mutherfucker a click to his fucking story. I needed to bleach my brain of his poison after that.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think DC was on their way to doing great movies and they are also listening to the critics and are now trying to “Marvel” all their movies and make them lighter and funnier.

I don’t want them to be lighter and funnier, if I wanted that I would just go watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 16 for the 10th time.

I want The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Sandman and all the other killer 80’s “adult” comic books that brought DC back to life and changed the face of the comic book industry forever by teaching both companies that super hero stories don’t have to be dumbed down for children.

Now, DC thinks those 80’s comics ruined their characters (Hint, your characters were failing and your company was about to go out of business before those darker stories) and Marvel blows whatever way the SJW wind is blowing, and that is when they aren’t busy trying to alienate every artist and writer in the industry with their general shitty pay and shittier executive staff.

I half think the reason so many SJW’s work at Marvel now is just that no one of any quality will work with them any more after getting screwed over in the past and they were so desperate that they just hired anyone who walked in the door even if they were crazy leftist loons like the author in the original article.

It doesn’t help that people with talent mostly work for IDW or Image where they own their own property. After you see Robert Kirkman making millions off The Walking Dead TV show, books, comics, toys, posters, shirts, etc., etc. it would be pretty dumb to go and write Batman where you own nothing and get nothing except a paycheck — and it isn’t even a decent paycheck.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #23
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think DC was on their way to doing great movies and they are also listening to the critics and are now trying to “Marvel” all their movies and make them lighter and funnier.
I am not entirely sure that's the case. I think they just had no idea what to do with their movie franchises since they started it up once Marvel showed it could make money. That made them play catch-up for most of their films up until WW, meaning you had things like Deadpool and GG influencing Suicide Squad, the Avengers flicks influencing JL and so on. It is less that critics told them their movies had to be lighter or funnier (which they did) but more that they had no real direction for their stories other than "what stories can we fit where that will bring in the big bucks?"

I still want DC to succeed and if I thought comics like Sandman could do well as a movie I would love to see it. Not sure how they would accomplish this at this point though if they care about molding their universes together.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:34 AM   #24
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
After you see Robert Kirkman making millions off The Walking Dead TV show, books, comics, toys, posters, shirts, etc., etc. it would be pretty dumb to go and write Batman where you own nothing and get nothing except a paycheck — and it isn’t even a decent paycheck.
Well, we should not forget that Kirkman had a long line of excellent comic books - none of which brought in the big money. Where's my "Invincible" movie? Why are there no "Battle Pope" boxers? Or are there??? I could be mistaken, but I believe not even "The Walking Dead", despite being celebrated in reading circles, was a huge money maker before it was picked up for TV...

Back on topic, though: I am a long-time Marvel reader, and I have to say that I've been disappointed with their offerings for the past years. However, I can't blame it on a specific reason. Yeah, there might be some political background noise - I found Sam Wilson's run as Captain America depressing to the point where I just didn't care anymore, but the same mindset brought us the excellent "Vision" series, so I doubt this is the only issue at hand. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't like change? For example, setting up Peter Parker as a multi-millionaire rubbed me the wrong way. And getting rid of Tony Stark twice (or even three times?) in as many years? Why?

What's worse, though, is getting reality mixed in with comic books. I want the Marvel universe to be similar to ours, but not identical. I don't want the heroes to drink Pepsi or endorse Apple products, I thought it was stupid that Tony Stark drove an Audi (although the R8 was a cool car at the time), and I don't want military products and providers mentioned by name. One exception: weapon names. I find it totally acceptable to call a Russian gun a "Kalashnikov" or an American fighter jet an "F-22". However, I doubt this was the extent of this planned collaboration...
Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:

I half think the reason so many SJW’s work at Marvel now is just that no one of any quality will work with them any more after getting screwed over in the past and they were so desperate that they just hired anyone who walked in the door even if they were crazy leftist loons like the author in the original article.
That's half of it. The former greats are way more expensive to hire and the Marvel heads thought it was a good business decision to turn their backs on them.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #26
timmyd
Evil Dead

Yes, because nothing showcases your product better than having it be completely useless against whatever the villian has cooked up this time. Everything I see a comic I think to myself why do we buy all this useless military equipment?
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #27
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
But there does seem to be some extreme polarization of views in the US. If you ask me why I care, well, this kind of thing could easily bleed over into Canada. We have managed in the past to maintain a fairly polite political discourse.
You don't have enough diversity to worry about it, honestly.

Close to 30% of Americans are ethnic minorities, obviously roughly half are women, roughly 4% fall somewhere in the LGBT umbrella. The leftists are doing everything they can to make tribalism the dominant political discourse here as a very ineffective way of trying to hold on to their power.

They have vehemently come out against their staunchest allies for the last century- working class white men- betting that the shifting demographics of the country will play into their favor in the long term.

Canada remains close to 90% white, you have nothing to worry about- it would be both political suicide to rabidly attack 45% of your voter base and extremely detrimental to your rightly earned reputation for civility everywhere outside of Quebec.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #28
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Would explain how Evan Narcisse (ex. Kotaku now iO9 writer) is writing Rise of the Black Panther.
LostToys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #29
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Say what you will about the warmongers at northrop grumman but they made an awesome canoe back in the day.

Tags
marvel