Yesterday 10:03 PM
16 Replies, 1,288 Views

Old 06-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #61
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
What. The. Fuck.

All of my posts have talked about HBM presenting an engineering challenge at 28nm due to increased thermal concerns. Go ahead, check, not a fucking thing to do with pricing.

You want to talk value that is an entirely different topic- games played, games bundles, cost to run etc come in to play. Not a discussion I'm interested in at all. I was discussing the engineering elements and trying to get people to have a realistic outlook on exactly what the 390x is likely to bring to the table. AMD wankers jumped in with all sorts of idiotic shit to try and divert the discussion.... to what I have no idea.

Looks good to me

And here's my power draw on TWO R9 290's in crossfire while in game.

brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #62
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
But that's the whole point of the argument. AMD fans pay for AMD because the perfomance per dollar is so much better.
And Nvidia fans pay for Nvidia because, for the past several years, performance is so much better, period. You can replace the word "Nvidia" with "Intel" in the preceding sentence. You can also mention the TitanZ and invalidate everything I've said thus far, except the part about Intel. That part is irrefutable. AMD processor users should be ashamed. Ashamed and raped. By goats. In Goatrape Simulator. Spiked goat condoms paid DLC.

Anyway!

As I said, we have yet to see reviews of the actual 390X. By all accounts, spec leaks and even using this card as evidence, it is going to be a doozy. Makes sense, they've been working on it for years since their last chip. Wait the month for the embargo to be lifted and another for the prices to sine wave a bit and we'll know who rules the roost for the second half of 2015.

Oh and Brandon, try a screenshot when the GPU isn't at idle with 0% shown activity. Twit.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #63
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
on, try a screenshot when the GPU isn't at idle with 0% shown activity. Twit.
I had just alt-tabbed out of fullscreen, boner. If you look at the Y-axis it's clear that even during game it never got above 500.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #64
Anemone
Evil Dead

The problem of AMD's strategy of performance bar power efficiency is it has less margin for heat, now that HBM is making heat an issue.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #65
Nimos
Banned

The amount of shit thrown in the fan is staggering !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I don't have a horse in this either way, but I'd rather not be worrying everytime I play something if my GPU isn't going to melt the rest of my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
And Nvidia fans pay for Nvidia because, for the past several years, performance is so much better, period

So much better
Nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #66
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Looks good to me

947MHZ, 69C with fans spinning @63% looks good to you...... OK. Not saying there is anything *wrong* with your system at all, but the power efficiency difference is very real, and very well documented.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #67
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimos View Post
The amount of shit thrown in the fan is staggering !

So much better
I can cherry pick to. Yeah, the GTX 980 Ti is so much better.

From a single chip, not having to deal with Crossfire compatibility perspective, this is one hell of a card today. This card is way too rich for me (I am a $300.00 or less type of PC gamer) but I would not begrudge anyone for wanting a GTX 980 Ti.

Unless the AMD 390x cards are substantially better and at a competitive price.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #68
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
947MHZ, 69C with fans spinning @63% looks good to you...... OK. Not saying there is anything *wrong* with your system at all, but the power efficiency difference is very real, and very well documented.

Damn dude, scale your images. This forum is from like 1820, it don't resize 'tomatically.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #69
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I had just alt-tabbed out of fullscreen, boner. If you look at the Y-axis it's clear that even during game it never got above 500.
The discussion focuses on two alleged issues of AMD cards: Heat and power consumption. Your first image circles the card's temperature and the second exclusively covers power efficiency. You also didn't tell us the game running, if there really is one, card model, vendor, cooling setup, etc. The information is valueless.

LIKE YO FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimos View Post

So much better
The only card that competes on that graph of simple FPS (Ignoring all the other aspects of the two brands) is a multiGPU, Crossfire card. So are you making my point for me? ...thanks. Thank you very much. I agree with you for agreeing with me.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #70
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Unless the AMD 390x cards are substantially better and at a competitive price.
They will be. They will be. Eventually, I mean.

I just love moments like this in tech, where one development path has been taken to its ultimate extent and a new paradigm enters the scene and changes everything.

And here both companies fought it out on 3D chips but one company spent 6 years and got it to work, looking years in advance for it to arrive in this moment, spending likely tens or hundreds of millions of development dollars.

And then one day that piece of tech arrives on your desk.

The first card off the assembly line will cost ($ total development cost) / 1, the next card off costs ($ total development cost) / 2, and so on until they make an actual profit.

I'd love to start seeing sell through numbers on these cards. I suppose we could estimate how many cards are being bought yearly by looking at these two's gross revenue.

Nvidia makes about $5b a year, ATI who knows since they're conflated with AMD now. But on that, Nvidia earns a 2.7% profit, so it's not like they're living fat on the hog, they're earning every penny. And AMD was actually making losses aways back.

Tags
nvidia