Today 05:21 PM
18 Replies, 2,487 Views

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Google, Tesla and NVIDIA working on self-driving cars

SiliconBeat reports:

Quote:
Speaking of self-driving cars and safety, Chris Urmson, head of Google’s self-driving car project, said at the TED conference Tuesday that he wants to make the autonomous vehicles the standard in five years for a personal reason: His son is 11 and due to take a driving test in four-and-a-half years...

Urmson also said autonomous cars would help reduce the sheer number of cars on the roads, and getting stuck in traffic jams. Plus, he said, “some 1.2 million people are killed on the roads around the world each year. That number is equivalent to a jet falling out of the sky every day.”

Back to Nvidia: At its developers conference Tuesday, the chip maker on reportedly introduced the Drive PX, a $10,000 computer for self-driving research and development. Its two Tegra X1 processors, combined with 12 cameras and what the company calls a deep learning training system, will allow cars to learn to react to different situations.

“It’s a system that can be trained, and retrained, with more data. Every time your self-driving car gets an over-the-air update, it can get smarter,” the company said in a blog post.

Nvidia says the Drive PX will be available in May to automakers, auto suppliers and research institutions.
Also, flying cars are in development and may reach consumers by 2017.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
bub64882
Evil Dead

"This car has two radiators. One for the engine, and one for the motherfuckin video card".
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
"This car has two radiators. One for the engine, and one for the motherfuckin video card".
lol. You got a genuine chuckle from me on that one. Well played, sir.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 03-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #4
Qoz
Evil Dead

1.2million / 365 = approx 3300.

HUGE jet planes falling from the skies.

Well .. he could be suggesting that the jets would hit something, but still - does not compute.
Qoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:32 AM   #5
bean19
Butt Stallion

They already work. It's about safety-testing and getting the laws to cover them now.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
Qoz
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
They already work. It's about safety-testing and getting the laws to cover them now.
That's like saying "flying works" when the Wrights brothers got their first success!

Well.. you are basically right. I guess it's the "it already works" that I think can be debated.

As you say the safety is a concern. It's not only about making the laws and testing it, but actually figuring out how to make it "safe enough" to let people fly around.

If certain things cannot reach a certain level fast then it will postpone/halt adoption.

Things like:
- safety level
- noise
- is it feasible? (speed, fuel efficiency)

They had a working model some years ago and the rumor was that it would be introduced at the China Olympics. That did not happen. So it's still moving very slowly as the different areas are being improved and invented.

Like some VIP's are using helicopters now (expensive) it will be those that first adopt it. We will not see this in any usable form (price / allowed to use) for at least 15-20 years.

Although some breakthrough could happen (like super batteries) and everything changes.
Qoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

My worry is at some point these cars will have to make moral life and death decisions that may not benefit me the passenger.

For example let's say my car is driving down a street, and for some reason their is another vehicle coming at me head on. My auto-car may have to make the decision to either swerve right and hit three people walking, or allow me the sole passenger to be hit by the oncoming truck.

Due to human nature, I'd want to save me every time regardless if the outcome is more death. I'd like to think I'd make the right choice moral choice... but I can tell you I don't want a nonliving thing making that life or death choice for me.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
That's fun. Hahah good job.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
My worry is at some point these cars will have to make moral life and death decisions that may not benefit me the passenger.

For example let's say my car is driving down a street, and for some reason their is another vehicle coming at me head on. My auto-car may have to make the decision to either swerve right and hit three people walking, or allow me the sole passenger to be hit by the oncoming truck.

Due to human nature, I'd want to save me every time regardless if the outcome is more death. I'd like to think I'd make the right choice moral choice... but I can tell you I don't want a nonliving thing making that life or death choice for me.
Get u some sneakers.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
kadreal
Death Knight

It's true, the car would probably not swerve into the pedestrians.

It's also true that there are probably situations that the car will do something stupid that most humans would have avoided.

But on the flip side it is important to realize that with a well implemented self driving system, computers overall will be MUCH safer drivers then humans. There may be some kinks to work out in some of the first generation systems. But 50 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if human driving is outlawed in a few places due to it just being too dangerous.

Plus for all you commuters with the 1 hour drive, think of the extra sleep you can get in your car on the way to work.
kadreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
ABS and traction control does that all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
On clean snow free roads with no debris.. This absolutely does not work. I think this may end up being used on freeways for a very long time and that is more than 10 years out imo.

I honestly am glad ill be dead by the time this may come, soulless linked cars, all moving in unison in the name of efficiency under the watchful yet legally absolved eye of government and corporations. Fuck you all and your dystopian future.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
bub64882
Evil Dead

I think the automated car is the first step, but it will need to be accompanied by a hive mind AI as well at some point, to truly realize it's full potential.

Accident reports, traffic pattern analysis, a far more aware system of what's coming from both directions, weather conditions prediction, etc...All of that will make the thing way more efficient.

In a congested urban area, metering lights slow folks down initially, but ensure a smooth flow for everyone over the long haul. Or are supposed to anyway. I'm envisioning something similar...basically if all the cars on the road are cooperative, we could go a little slower, and arrive at our destination far earlier, with some smart AI.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
bub64882
Evil Dead

Oh snap, disregard above...they already are working on it. Reading comprehension FTW!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
Hagetaka
Subscriber

Quote:

Someone has been watching Top Gear.
Hagetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

In regards to the flying cars, I agree that that's way off. What happens if the engine dies? So many issues with that. I had an acquaintance a few years back who went to Google HQ. He asked a guy driving by where Google was. The man stopped his car and said, "you're at Google." Amusingly, the man was on his laptop and the car was driving itself. The gentleman politely said goodbye and the car drove off as he continued to work. Take it with a grain of salt, but it didn't sound too far-fetched to me.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 03-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

You can have the keys to my Mustang when you pry them from my cold dead fingers!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
In regards to the flying cars, I agree that that's way off. What happens if the engine dies? So many issues with that. I had an acquaintance a few years back who went to Google HQ. He asked a guy driving by where Google was. The man stopped his car and said, "you're at Google." Amusingly, the man was on his laptop and the car was driving itself. The gentleman politely said goodbye and the car drove off as he continued to work. Take it with a grain of salt, but it didn't sound too far-fetched to me.
Self driving cars have been around for a while now. They're far safer than human controlled vehicles. There is a lot of work to be done before anything can be rolled out beyond the testing areas.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagetaka View Post
Someone has been watching Top Gear.
Not just Top Gear. This has been a topic I've heard, and have had for many years now. I do however like that Clarkson brought it up a couple of weeks ago.

Always nice to see a fellow fan!
Old 03-20-2015, 03:53 AM   #19
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoz View Post
That's like saying "flying works" when the Wrights brothers got their first success!
They're way beyond the Wright brothers. Go read up on it.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:56 AM   #20
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
I honestly am glad ill be dead by the time this may come, soulless linked cars, all moving in unison in the name of efficiency under the watchful yet legally absolved eye of government and corporations. Fuck you all and your dystopian future.
lol. Ludite much?

Here's how I see it. I can watch movies or take a nap on my drive home for the holidays. As for bad roads, I imagine it will look at the weather and refuse to go on auto-pilot. It will probably suggest that drivers get off the roads themselves, but if it is just a bad forecast or there is an emergency that requires driving on unsafe roads then you can always drive yourself.

Tags
google, nvidia, tesla