Blizzard Begins...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 12:19 AM
19 Replies, 1,525 Views

Old 05-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

GeForce GTX 980 Ti – Announce Video, Review #GTX980Ti

The AnandTech NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti review.

Quote:
Bringing this video card review to a close, through the last 14 pages of benchmarks we have seen the same result time and time again. While on paper the GeForce GTX 980 Ti should trail the GeForce GTX Titan X by several percent, what we get in the real world is much, much closer. With an average performance deficit of just 3%, GeForce GTX 980 Ti is for all intents and purposes GTX Titan X with a different name.

Typically NVIDIA engineers a wider gap between their cards, and while there is plenty of room for speculation here as to why they’d let GTX 980 Ti get so close to GTX Titan X – and make no mistake, it is intentional – at the end of the day none of that changes the final result. With a launch price of $649, the GTX 980 Ti may as well be an unofficial price cut to GTX Titan X, delivering flagship GeForce performance for 35% less.
Click on the headline for a benchmark video by DigitalFoundry.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 05-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Wow, very impressive. In 4k no less.

I just can't wait for the day when 2,000 cores is more like 200,000 cores.

Imagine two of these in SLI--what a time to be alive.

Last edited by Anenome; 05-31-2015 at 05:48 PM..
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
Syl
Evil Dead

Can't wait to see how the AMD 390X will compare next month with its fancy new memory.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Can't wait to see how the AMD 390X will compare next month with its fancy new memory.
Oh? Hadn't heard anything about that. I always do root for AMD, even if I admit Nvidia usually has them beat just 10% slicker.

http://wccftech.com/upcoming-amd-rad...p-called-fury/

Oooh, 8GB of DDR5. Crazytalk. Edit:--wait, this is not DDR5, this is HBM, high-bandwidth memory made from 3D stacked chips? Amazing.

Quote:
AMD’s upcoming flagship GPU Fiji, which is going to be the first in the world to feature the next generation stacked memory technology dubbed HBM, is evidently going to be the GPU that AMD will use to debut its new flagship branding scheme.
Whoa, check out this stat, 19 times less space:

Hell, are they going to start making general RAM with this tech? [Edit: seems they cannot, since the bandwidth and latency gains come from stacking the memory directly on the logic chip itself. Thus if this tech were used for system ram it would have to be packaged directly onto the CPU itself, which I can honestly see happening.]

So cool to see, at last, the dawn of 3D chip stacking. This is honestly going to change everything. We'll eventually see this in CPUs, which instead of being chips will be cubes and will have heat-pipes literally built into the package in some form, possible in the form of solid-state carbon nanowire heat-pipes which were recently discovered to be the most effective heat-conductors of all.

Omg, a kilobit bus bandwidth???

Incredible:

This is one reason I could never kill myself, just think of all the amazing tech advances you'd miss.

---

Here's one of the best ways to compare likely power, the video above you just saw was with 6gm DDR5 memory and 2816 shader cores. Now look at what the new AMD Fiji XT card is featuring:

- GPU Cores / Shaders: 4096

- Memory: 4GB Stacked HBM

- Memory Interface: 4096 Wide IO

- Compute Performance: 8.5TFLOPS

Last edited by Anenome; 05-31-2015 at 06:09 PM..
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Syl
Evil Dead

Nah, not the one with 8gig of DDR5. The one with 4 gigs of HBM.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9266/amd-hbm-deep-dive

It's some crazy stuff.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Syl
Evil Dead

Holy shit I didn't realize how big that image was. I forgot this forum doesn't do auto resize.
I can't edit that out, but go by this image instead.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

"recent slide leak which revealed the performance of AMD’s R9 390X"

Old 05-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I'll never have $1,000 to buy a graphics card.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
I'll never have $1,000 to buy a graphics card.
The GTX 980Ti is only $649! er... Which is about $649 more than I have for a video card right now. Still, it's a kick ass piece of hardware.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I neglected to mention I live in New Zealand so it'll be at least 1,000NZD.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Did some exchanges, probably be closer to 1,200 actually. A 980 is 1,000.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #13
92miata
Evil Dead

I want to buy 2 right now but damn have to wait for AMD to see what is going on.

I think AMD has something up it's sleeve. That is why Nvidia launched this early I think.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
The GTX 980Ti is only $649! er... Which is about $649 more than I have for a video card right now. Still, it's a kick ass piece of hardware.
Yeah. That was my thought. . . I'd like a kick-ass card like this but I'd really need to upgrade to a 4K monitor to get much use out of it.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
I want to buy 2 right now but damn have to wait for AMD to see what is going on.

I think AMD has something up it's sleeve. Thhas up theirant is why Nvidia launched this early I think.
Wait, absolutely wait. Nvidia released a card this close or better in performance to their Titan, this comparatively low in price, intentionally. They know what AMD has up their sleeve after all this time and they wanted to get ahead of it.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:58 PM   #16
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Wait, absolutely wait. Nvidia released a card this close or better in performance to their Titan, this comparatively low in price, intentionally. They know what AMD has up their sleeve after all this time and they wanted to get ahead of it.
The thing is that HBM, which AMD has "up its sleeve" is such an important technology increase that even Nvidia is going to start using it next year*. So Nvidia knows exactly what HBM can do because they are also going to start building cards with the technology. The thing is, HBM is an AMD made technology so AMD has a full year lead start of exclusivity on it. It's a pretty damn important thing.

Not to mention that the next generation of cards from both are finally going to be using a better manufacturing process than the 28nm they've been stuck on forever. Then also, of course, is DX12, which is going to be first and foremost on these new cards.

Short version, as fucking awesome as the 980ti is, and its really damn good, its the absolute best version of this generation of technology and the immediate successor technology is going to be a larger increase in power than probably the past couple of generations combined. So i'd wait for right now.

*Nvidia invested a ton of energy into a similar technology to HBM, but couldn't get it working right. So eventually they just gave in and decided to make HBM the next standard. Big failure for nvidia but honestly a big win for AMD and consumers in general. Less fragmentation in terms of videocards, could you imagine how much driver performance would differ game to game if the two rivals utilized completely different memory architecture?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
Scroll up a bit, we just got through geeking out about AMD's offering, announcement expected in a couple days. It's amazing.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 PM   #18
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Then also, of course, is DX12, which is going to be first and foremost on these new cards.
Uh, the 970 and regular 980 will do DX12 too, with Win10 installed. You need Win10 regardless.

Quote:
*Nvidia invested a ton of energy into a similar technology to HBM, but couldn't get it working right. So eventually they just gave in and decided to make HBM the next standard. Big failure for nvidia but honestly a big win for AMD and consumers in general. Less fragmentation in terms of videocards, could you imagine how much driver performance would differ game to game if the two rivals utilized completely different memory architecture?
Cool

Now if only they weren't locked in a patent duet and a 3rd company could compete with them.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Really don't want Win10.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Really don't want Win10.
Why? It's an awesome operating system so far.

Tags
nvidia