Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 10:29 AM
14 Replies, 638 Views

Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #41
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped'Up View Post
Blah blah, just more numbers. I'll be in awe when they give us a card that can render real life graphics. No joke.
That'll require voxels. Which can be approximated with polygons. So really, we're moving in that direction continually.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #42
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
Yes.... a magic mortal men call "science"
Cute, I laughed.

Quote:
To further my point, Crysis 3 the 980ti is 84.8% faster then the 290x operating in uber mode while using slightly less then 3% more power.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/t...0-ti-review/17
What kind of shenanigans are you trying to pull here? Why the fuck are you comparing the 980ti to a $300 card from AMD? How about you compare it to the 295x which tops the charts in your link?

Quote:
nVidia is already *SIGNIFICANTLY* more efficient on a performance per watt basis, to an absurd degree at the moment, and then you get the natural power reductions of switching from 28nm to 16nm.
Less power = less heat. I give you that. No one is claiming that AMD isn't on an older tech. But to dismiss the heat generation on nVidia's side completely?

Quote:
Combine these supernatural elements and they make something magical
Yeah, I can smell it.

Quote:
Back in the old days of DSub15 being the common connector for monitors graphics cards had a digital to analog converter(DAC) that would process the binary into a wavelength to transmit it to the monitor. While the graphics cards all may have started with an identical set of binary data, the DAC would entirely determine the signal quality sent to the display. The only way to get around this, and make it a complete non issue would be to come up with a way that we would keep the signal digital from origin to display.

We did that.

Calibrate your gear- there should be 0 difference between two electronic devices outputting an identical binary signal.
And why exactly would they be identical? Why would the image quality algorightms used between the drivers be identical?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #43
Syl
Evil Dead

You do know, Ben, that AMD and Nvidia make their chips at the exact same place. Therefore the reason the reason that neither has moved to 16nm is because of failures at TSMC combined with a huge helping of Apple/Qualcomm, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSMC

Your fanboyism is strong though. I agree to that.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #44
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

200bn dollars of profit woooooooooooow.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #45
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped'Up View Post
Blah blah, just more numbers. I'll be in awe when they give us a card that can render real life graphics. No joke.
Perhaps video games aren't for you. Have you considered sports? No joke. Those feature real life graphics. They upgrade less often and can usually continue with legacy equipment, as well.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:27 AM   #46
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
What kind of shenanigans are you trying to pull here?
Explaining what type of engineering hurdles are present to the upcoming design of the 390x. Really rather simple.

Quote:
Why the fuck are you comparing the 980ti to a $300 card from AMD? How about you compare it to the 295x which tops the charts in your link?
11.2% faster while using 91% more power. That make you feel better? Can you please provide to me any links or white papers on exactly what the fuck MSRP has to do with thermal characteristics? Do I need to go get kicked in the head repeatedly by a donkey for that one?

Quote:
But to dismiss the heat generation on nVidia's side completely?
If AMD were releasing this part on 16nm heat wouldn't be anywhere near the issue it is going to be. This is science, not some stupid little fanboy wanking.

Quote:
And why exactly would they be identical?
For 2D operations you are displaying objects with fixed color values. If you calibrate your devices, you shouldn't be able to tell a difference between the two.

Quote:
You do know, Ben, that AMD and Nvidia make their chips at the exact same place.
You do know, AMD *CHOSE* to release a part with design features at 28nm that nVidia *CHOSE* to wait for 16nm for? I'm also quite aware of the impact of Apple's moving of contracts from Samsung to TSMC and how that impacted the ability of either of them to ramp production on a process beyond 28nm, I'm further aware of possible contract negotiations between GloFlo and the players with rumors even circulating about Samsung themselves being a possible destination for future GPU production. What I'm not familiar with is, is what the fuck does that have to do with the 390x's thermal characteristics?

Quote:
Your fanboyism is strong though. I agree to that.
Yeah, huge fanboy of reality, while you two clearly have issues with that.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #47
Syl
Evil Dead

It's not like AMD is going to stay on 28nm forever. They'll be moved down to 16nm on the next set of videocards. Just like Nvidia. They're also going to be using HBM. Just like Nvidia.

The argument you're using against the 390x is the same argument that anyone could be using against the 980ti, "its not as good as the next generation of cards." Well no shit its not.

It's also a well known fact in this industry, that whomever has the FASTEST card, regardless of whether or not anyone can actually afford the goddamn thing, wins in marketing for quite for a while. So AMD releasing a 390x that can theoretically beat the 980ti or Titan is a big win for AMD, and 16nm will show up when its ready. Yet again, it will show up for both companies.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #48
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

I wish AMD wasn't garbage so Nvidia would step it up more than just releasing a gimped Titan X with the same old reference blower.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #49
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
I wish AMD wasn't garbage so Nvidia would step it up more than just releasing a gimped Titan X with the same old reference blower.
Step it up more than releasing a $350-off version of the card universally praised as the best in existence? Step it up more than often getting better performance than the previous best card in existence for less money, as those gimped features actually frees up more power delivery to the boost clock?

Geez, rough crowd.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #50
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
The argument you're using against the 390x
What have I said "against the 390x"?

Quote it up.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #51
Nimos
Banned

OMGLOL

Source
Nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #52
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimos View Post
OMGLOL

Source
Put that fucking chart away! You'll ruin Ben's argument!

Oh look, there's my sweet sweet 290.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #53
LostToys
Evil Dead

That chart does not really take into consideration playable framerate. For example, If you always require 60FPS, you are more likely to get that with the GTX 980 Ti at max settings, or at slightly reduced settings, at 1440p. The same can be said for a solid 30. In the more modern games that are tested on the website, the nVidia solutions are, on average, better than the AMD solutions for playable and high frame rates.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #54
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Put that fucking chart away! You'll ruin Ben's argument!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...980_Ti/32.html

Grab your crayons and put your helmet back on, your bus is waiting kiddo.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #55
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I used AMD for two computers. My third and current main I switched to Nvidia/Intel. I will not be switching back. Fuck your numbers, the user experience has been so much better and consistent.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #56
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...980_Ti/32.html

Grab your crayons and put your helmet back on, your bus is waiting kiddo.

But that's the whole point of the argument. AMD fans pay for AMD because the perfomance per dollar is so much better.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #57
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post

But that's the whole point of the argument. AMD fans pay for AMD because the perfomance per dollar is so much better.
I don't have a horse in this either way, but I'd rather not be worrying everytime I play something if my GPU isn't going to melt the rest of my computer. AMD CPU's have always always run far hotter than they should, not shocking they still haven't figured out better ways to manage heat and cooling solutions.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #58
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
But that's the whole point of the argument.
What. The. Fuck.

All of my posts have talked about HBM presenting an engineering challenge at 28nm due to increased thermal concerns. Go ahead, check, not a fucking thing to do with pricing.

Quote:
AMD fans pay for AMD because the perfomance per dollar is so much better.
You want to talk value that is an entirely different topic- games played, games bundles, cost to run etc come in to play. Not a discussion I'm interested in at all. I was discussing the engineering elements and trying to get people to have a realistic outlook on exactly what the 390x is likely to bring to the table. AMD wankers jumped in with all sorts of idiotic shit to try and divert the discussion.... to what I have no idea.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #59
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
What. The. Fuck.

All of my posts have talked about HBM presenting an engineering challenge at 28nm due to increased thermal concerns. Go ahead, check, not a fucking thing to do with pricing.

You want to talk value that is an entirely different topic- games played, games bundles, cost to run etc come in to play. Not a discussion I'm interested in at all. I was discussing the engineering elements and trying to get people to have a realistic outlook on exactly what the 390x is likely to bring to the table. AMD wankers jumped in with all sorts of idiotic shit to try and divert the discussion.... to what I have no idea.

I guess we're done then.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #60
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
AMD CPU's have always always run far hotter than they should, not shocking they still haven't figured out better ways to manage heat and cooling solutions.
AMD designed Snapdragon, the SoC that is utterly dominating the ultra portable market largely thanks to how energy efficient it is. Of course, they are AMD, so they sold it for a pittance to Qualcomm who turned it into a currency printing press.

Tags
nvidia