Last post by alienchild
Today 04:12 AM
7 Replies, 615 Views

Old 05-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #41
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I don't think that's true. Most games are let's say behind the shoulder or 1st person.
It doesn't really work though. CoD is mostly designed (in single player anyway) as a hallway shooter. There isn't much, or anything, going on behind the player and not much going on off to the sides. That is in part due to the whole "Player isn't playing he's just following." storytelling they have been doing since Modern Warfare.

The fact that nothing is going on behind you or off to the side will be much more painfully obvious if the player can quickly look to one side and quickly look back.

While you certainly can look to the sides or look to the rear in the current games, they try to focus your view in front of you at all times.

Sticking VR on top of these hallway shooters will only make it more obvious that they are hallway shooters.

If they are going to do VR, they need to be thinking at all times about what is going on off to the sides, above you, and behind you because those are places the player might look.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #42
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If they are going to do VR, they need to be thinking at all times about what is going on off to the sides, above you, and behind you because those are places the player might look.
So they'll come out of the hallways and into the open. I don't think it's that hard.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #43
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
It doesn't really work though. CoD is mostly designed (in single player anyway) as a hallway shooter. There isn't much, or anything, going on behind the player and not much going on off to the sides. That is in part due to the whole "Player isn't playing he's just following." storytelling they have been doing since Modern Warfare.

The fact that nothing is going on behind you or off to the side will be much more painfully obvious if the player can quickly look to one side and quickly look back.

While you certainly can look to the sides or look to the rear in the current games, they try to focus your view in front of you at all times.

Sticking VR on top of these hallway shooters will only make it more obvious that they are hallway shooters.

you're pigeonholing all of gaming into this one example. you wouldn't play CoD on VR anyway, the headset adds significant additional input lag. But that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of other PC games out there where slapping the HMD on top of the existing game wouldn't work.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #44
TUT
Evil Dead

Quote:
I want to see someone make a space combat sim in VR, I don't think the EVE one will be any good given that Dust 514 was complete shit. That has the biggest potential use for this technology to me.

I also want to see Project CARS running in VR. I'm not really a big fan of cockpit racing in racing games, but I think combined with a wheel and pedals that it has some real potential.

I doubt the technology will be anything worthwhile for a generation or two. The big thing is that you can't just stick VR on top of a current game like CoD. The game has to be designed from the ground up with that hardware in mind or there isn't any point.
Have you personally experienced most of what you say here or going by others some of which are just as jaded?
TUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #45
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
So they'll come out of the hallways and into the open. I don't think it's that hard.
Which is a fancy way of agreeing with me that these games need to be developed with VR in mind in the first place.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #46
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Old 05-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #47
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Ashes of singularity benchmark for the 1080.
http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_...y_benchmarks/1

Keep in mind we don't know if asynchronous compute is turned on in the game settings, we also don't know how legit this is beings there's no driver for the 1080, so this may be running the wrong drivers, or a beta version.... Etc, take it with a grain of salt

Tags
nvidia