Yesterday 08:42 PM
15 Replies, 416 Views

Old 11-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

How to claim your $30 Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 settlement #Nvidia #pcgaming

PC Gamer has the story:

Quote:
The time has almost come for Nvidia to pay the piper, and you're the piper, provided you live in the U.S. and purchased a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card sometime between September 1, 2014 and August 24, 2016. If so, you're entitled to a $30 refund per card as part of a proposed settlement agreement.

This all has to do with the way Nvidia implemented 4GB of GDDR5 memory on the GeForce GTX 970 and its unique memory crossbar configuration. As designed, one of the card's ROP/L2 partitions was disabled, which gave the card 56 ROPs rather than 64. It also meant that a 512MB segment of the onboard memory was significantly slower than the remaining 3.5GB.

Nvidia was slow to disclose the memory arrangement and number of ROPs. Even with the funky configuration, the GeForce GTX 970 was a high performing card for the money at the time, though in situations where games would try to utilize more than 3.5GB of RAM, slowdowns could occur. This caused an uproar among gamers who felt Nvidia had mislead them.

This eventually led to a class action lawsuit, and the $30 refund is the agreement that's been reached. It applies to all GeForce GTX 970 cards sold by authorized retailers in the U.S. between the aforementioned dates and includes cards branded by Nvidia's hardware partners, those being Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, Innovision Multimedia, Palit, PC Partner Group, Manli Technology Group, PNY, and Zotac, along with each of their subsidiaries.

As part of the settlement, Nvidia denies any wrongdoing. There's no limit to the number of claims you can submit, though proof of purchase is required. This can be a sales receipt, credit card statement, shipping manifest, purchase order, an email confirmation, or some other similar documentation that shows you bought the card(s).

You can find more details about the claim by going here. If you want to file a claim, go here and follow the prompts. You have until November 30, 2016 to file a claim, or you can opt out by November 8, 2016 and retain your rights to sue Nvidia. You also have until November 8, 2016 to object or comment on the proposed settlement. If you do nothing you give up your right to the proposed settlement along with your right to sue Nvidia.

The settlement is pending a final approval hearing scheduled to take place December 7, 2016.
FYI: You can identify the serial number on your NVIDIA card without cracking the case.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Bought two of them, not filing a claim
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

Bought 1 of them, filed a claim. Fuck em.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
TafJaf
Dread Lord

Filing website is so busted that I had to use IE to file the claim with. For some reason the effing upload options don't load up on Chrome or Firefox
TafJaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TafJaf View Post
Filing website is so busted that I had to use IE to file the claim with. For some reason the effing upload options don't load up on Chrome or Firefox
sounds like a personal issue... seems to work just fine on my chrome just thumbing through the first few pages of the form.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
Bought 1 of them, filed a claim. Fuck em.
I don't really feel slighted enough to say fuck 'em, but they definitely cheated here, and deserve to pay the financial settlement.

Whoever approved the segmentation of memory as it was done on the 970 to pull the wool over people's eyes to save NVIDIA some money should be fired.

The performance is entirely different than cards traditionally sold with x amount of memory because of the architecture. The card is fine, but I would have bought a different-tier card had this memory issue been public when they released it.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
Loop
Knight

Funny how it's a day before the cut-off point for submitting a claim, yet I've not heard anything about how to submit a claim until I saw this post. Back in August, Newegg even said they'd send a follow-up email on how to submit a claim...which I've yet to receive.

Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
Anemone
Evil Dead

I got emails regarding the claim, but I have no interest in making lawyers rich.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

bought 2. stuck in canada. lame.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free money?, geforce gtx 970, nvidia