Pokemon Detective...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:11 PM
1 Replies, 196 Views

Old 08-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

No Man's Sky Day 1 Patch Details #NoMansSky

Hello Games founder Sean Murray has posted a huge update on the upcoming Day-1 patch for No Man's Sky, including word that they are going to wipe the game servers today and again tomorrow to reduce the impact of people who received early copies of the game.

Also included in the patch is that there will be a new story progression, changes to planets and that the galaxy itself will be around 10x larger than the launch versions.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
screwyluie
Evil Dead

screwyluie

I can't help but wonder if this was planned or if it's simply a response to the fact it was beat in under 30 hours instead of 300 hours as the devs lied claimed.

The joys of an entirely procedurally generated game is you can remake the whole game over night.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
I can't help but wonder if this was planned or if it's simply a response to the fact it was beat in under 30 hours instead of 300 hours as the devs lied claimed.
Likely due to the warp-cell duplication exploit mentioned in the update, which they have now fixed.

Quote:
The joys of an entirely procedurally generated game is you can remake the whole game over night.
Naturally, the game can dramatically-change with a few knobs and levers and balances.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

Oh come on.

The game was beat in 30 hours by a guy who was trying to "beat" the game as fast as he could. He even says he sat and grinded out one thing to power up enough to get to the center of the galaxy. So basically he min/maxed it with no sense of playing for fun just so he could say that he beat it. That's not going to be the conditions under which most people play the game.

And if you're playing No Man's Sky to "beat" it, you're really not playing the game correctly to begin with.

As many have stated, this game is going to disappoint a LOT of people just because they outright refuse to listen to developers when they say what the game actually is.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Oh come on.

The game was beat in 30 hours by a guy who was trying to "beat" the game as fast as he could. He even says he sat and grinded out one thing to power up enough to get to the center of the galaxy. So basically he min/maxed it with no sense of playing for fun just so he could say that he beat it. That's not going to be the conditions under which most people play the game.

And if you're playing No Man's Sky to "beat" it, you're really not playing the game correctly to begin with.

As many have stated, this game is going to disappoint a LOT of people just because they outright refuse to listen to developers when they say what the game actually is.
Isn't it in the developers hands to create an understandable product?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Isn't it in the developers hands to create an understandable product?
I don't think Hello Games comes out of this unscathed. They are definitely TRYING to be obtuse about the game in order to create a "mystery" about it, which is frustrating. But they have many, many times been real about what the game is and people just refuse to listen. For instance, the developers have stated many, many times that you are most likely never going to encounter other players. Ever. Yet people still choose to believe that it's an MMO. They have pretty much outright stated that the joy of exploration comes from seeing what weird oddities are created by the algorithm. People choose to believe that they are going to go on quests to meticulously plotted out environments.

So, no, I don't believe Hello Games is responsible for managing the expectations of the audience. ESPECIALLY when people want to desperately to judge the game before they ever play it.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Many gamers are idiots and have preconceived notions. If they had just spent 15 minutes with some game playthroughs with the devs from E3 they might have a clue. Bought the CE and can't wait to get my hands on it and play as intended.... like a Spaceflight game.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I mean Starflight.. Damn paywall.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

The developers actually said it would typically be beaten in 40-100 hours...and then immediately stated that some speed runner would prove him wrong.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The developers actually said it would typically be beaten in 40-100 hours...and then immediately stated that some speed runner would prove him wrong.
I think the issue is that there is no "beating" a game that is mostly just about exploring. People are spending tons of time in Elite Dangerous and there isn't much to do in that game at all except fly from system to system.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think the issue is that there is no "beating" a game that is mostly just about exploring. People are spending tons of time in Elite Dangerous and there isn't much to do in that game at all except fly from system to system.
I think "beating" in this case is finally reaching the center of the galaxy. It seems like that's one of the ultimate goals, at any rate.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I mean Starflight.. Damn paywall.
Better sign up for Patreon before I get the EvAv patches finished.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
I think "beating" in this case is finally reaching the center of the galaxy. It seems like that's one of the ultimate goals, at any rate.
Yea, that is the main goal, but in a game like this they can add another space station or major planet or giant ring full of fungus aliens at any time and give players a new goal to try to find.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's the end goal.

I think it comes down to what games are to people these days. Is it about the destination or the journey? Most NES games weren't about the ending, because they didn't have any memory to actually program elaborate endings. It was about the journey to get there. But because most people like movie-games, now, they care more about having an elaborate payoff than they do about the actual journey to get there. In many cases, the journey to get there is a chore to be slogged through.

I think NMS is more of an old-school game in that regard.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Someone beating a game on their first play through is hardly the work of a speed runner. Don't really care about the situation but there is an enormous difference between someone stumbling on through a game, learning as they go, and the lot that learn each pixel required to save a second.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
RevXwise
Evil Dead

So someone actually found the "center of the universe"? I'm guessing that's about as hard to reverse engineer as any 64 bit system. Seems like a shit thing to do since this a game designed for recreation instead of some network security defense, but whatever.

As other people have said, the center of the galaxy is probably some randomly generated turd planet that you would see anywhere else. The purpose of the game is to go explore and find random stuff.

Also, is this game even suppose to be multiplayer? I thought it was singleplayer by default.
RevXwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXwise View Post
Also, is this game even suppose to be multiplayer? I thought it was singleplayer by default.
They had said in the beginning that while it is multiplayer, the universe was so huge that you might never encounter other players. Obviously, if people are able to skip straight to the center in 30 hours, that isn't true.

The Day 1 patch makes the universe bigger, so it will be interesting to see if these people who cheated their way to the center suddenly find themselves a couple of billion light years from the middle come Tuesday morning.

That would be hilarious. Even more hilarious than knowing that every planet they named Turdburgler is now back to not having a name.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #18
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Oh come on.

According to him he didn't rush the, he claimed to have seen most things the game has to offer. And there is no min max in this game. He mined an expensive resource that he claims is absurdly easy to find as it's in an area the game takes you to. He's not a speed runner , the game is just absurdly easy to progress in. Regardless of how you play it, that is not a good thing.

I love that bit about how you're playing it wrong... in pretty sure that's not possible, just not playing it how you think it should be played and that really doesn't matter.

I know exactly what the game is and I'm going to buy it knowing full well it's a complete disappointment. There's no big secret, it's just another boring sandbox with no point to it.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:08 AM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
So someone actually found the "center of the universe"?
Center of the galaxy rather; there is no center of the universe. Or rather that, because all parts seem to be expanding away from all other parts, all parts of the universe appear to be the center of the universe.

Quote:
As other people have said, the center of the galaxy is probably some randomly generated turd planet that you would see anywhere else.
o_O The center of the galaxy is necessarily a supermassive blackhole, and probably a stunning sight.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
According to him he didn't rush the, he claimed to have seen most things the game has to offer. And there is no min max in this game. He mined an expensive resource that he claims is absurdly easy to find as it's in an area the game takes you to. He's not a speed runner , the game is just absurdly easy to progress in. Regardless of how you play it, that is not a good thing.
Given the amount of changes and additions being made to the game via a patch he never had access to, it sounds like virtually everything he said and experienced is (more or less) inaccurate. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see...but, as it currently stands, his impressions (and $1300 for an early copy) are wasted.

Quote:
I love that bit about how you're playing it wrong... in pretty sure that's not possible, just not playing it how you think it should be played and that really doesn't matter.

I know exactly what the game is and I'm going to buy it knowing full well it's a complete disappointment. There's no big secret, it's just another boring sandbox with no point to it.
While I do think there are "wrong" and "right" ways to play games in a very broad sense, it's kind of tough to apply that concept to a sandbox game. Am I playing GTAV wrong when I completely ignore the story and just tool around, causing havoc with a public transit bus?

I think going into the game expecting disappointment isn't necessarily the right idea, but tempering expectations probably is. Based on the amount of stuff being added to the game via the Day One patch, any and all impressions we've seen so far aren't really worth a damn at this point. The game everyone else will be playing as of tomorrow will be quite different from what those with leaked/early copies experienced.

Tags
no man's sky