Today 10:44 AM
22 Replies, 1,827 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #41
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I believe Pat mentioned he was born in 84. The Nes came out in 85. So no he wasn't really aware enough imo with the NES.
He and I were both born in '84. We grew up together, both owned an NES and logged an inconceivable number of hours on them. I, for one, got mine in '89 when it was still the dominant console in the market. It's lasting power didn't diminish until 1993, which was a full four years later. If this isn't enough time to be "really aware" of what Nintendo has been offering since the very beginning, I'm not sure what would be...aside from owning it Day One in 1985.

Your opinion - in this particular case - is absolute shit.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #42
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
What does it matter?
They're a technology company with no ability to compete with current technology. In fact, it looks like Nvidia designed this system and wanted to slap a more famous brand on their new SHIELD tablet.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #43
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Pat you're not old enough to have experienced the NES when it originally came out. So I can actually understand why you might not be as sick of the same ol same ol some of us experienced first hand and have seen time and time again out of Nintendo. I can respect that. For me personally Nintendo at this point is just disappointing because for a company that has been in the industry going back to the heyday of arcades, a time period I saw and grew up in, it's as though in some ways they are very much stuck in the past while a good majority of the rest of the industry has simply passed them to the point of doing laps around them.
I was born in 1984, but as Chimpbot said Spec, we logged about a million hours with the NES. I got the NES in '89, same as Chimpbot. I started playing Mario when I was 4. I started with Mario, played Castlevania, Zelda II, and probably 200+ other NES titles over the next handful of years. There was a local laundromat in the small town I grew up in that also rented NES games, and we'd rent a game or 2 every weekend. I got plenty of time with the NES.

By the time the SNES was a few years into it's cycle, my parents grabbed me one of those and my father sent me a Sega Genesis. This was back in Christmas of '94 I believe, because my first sports game was NFL 95 on the Genesis, and I probably played that more than any game to this day.

Im extremely familiar with Nintendo's history going back at least to the NES. It's the console that got me into video games. To me, they've had high and low points, and they've had mediocre games and outstanding games, but on the average their 1st party titles have always been different, polished, and high on fun factor and replayability, and it's why (discluding the Wii) I've followed Nintendo since 1989 and the NES.

I love other games. Im a big PC gamer, I had an Xbox 360 that was the only console I played for 7 years. I love sports titles, I love Western RPGs, JRPGs, tactics games, military shooters, sandbox games, and on and on. I'm not a Nintendo only fan. I'm a fan of good, high quality, fun video games.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #44
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
He and I were both born in '84. We grew up together, both owned an NES and logged an inconceivable number of hours on them. I, for one, got mine in '89 when it was still the dominant console in the market. It's lasting power didn't diminish until 1993, which was a full four years later. If this isn't enough time to be "really aware" of what Nintendo has been offering since the very beginning, I'm not sure what would be...aside from owning it Day One in 1985.

Your opinion - in this particular case - is absolute shit.
That's exactly my point Chimpy, at 5 years old you likely barely comprehended what you were even seeing.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #45
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
That's exactly my point Chimpy, at 5 years old you likely barely comprehended what you were even seeing.
What a bunch of horse shit.

I knew full well what I was seeing, experiencing and playing. Hell, I have vivid memories of many of the oldest NES game I've played dating back to the weekend my father rented an NES to see if I'd even like the thing before they went out and bought one months later. I knew full well what I was doing and comprehended what was going on with the games.

Thanks for the lame attempt at condescension, half-baked and poorly thought out though it may be.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is I - and many others just like me - have been playing Nintendo's games for a very, very long time. By now, we sort of have a pretty good idea of what they're about from a design and development standpoint.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 02-17-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #46
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
What a bunch of horse shit.

I knew full well what I was seeing, experiencing and playing. Hell, I have vivid memories of many of the oldest NES game I've played dating back to the weekend my father rented an NES to see if I'd even like the thing before they went out and bought one months later. I knew full well what I was doing and comprehended what was going on with the games.

Thanks for the lame attempt at condescension, half-baked and poorly thought out though it may be.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is I - and many others just like me - have been playing Nintendo's games for a very, very long time. By now, we sort of have a pretty good idea of what they're about from a design and development standpoint.
Fair enough, and at the same time arcade manufacturers, like Williams/Midway, the remains of Atari Coin, Capcom and the like, were pushing the envelope of what could be done. 30 years later, Nintendo is making the same handful of titles, most of them stiil platformers at their core. I wasn't impressed then at what was coming out of Nintendo, Donkey Kong, Mario bros, Popeye, all the same game just with different art. Nintendo hasn't evolved or innovated in game play beyond motion controls which suck compared to a controller or joystick. I'm even less impressed now. Nintendo never matured as as company.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #47
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Fair enough, and at the same time arcade manufacturers, like Williams/Midway, the remains of Atari Coin, Capcom and the like, were pushing the envelope of what could be done. 30 years later, Nintendo is making the same handful of titles, most of them stiil platformers at their core. I wasn't impressed then at what was coming out of Nintendo, Donkey Kong, Mario bros, Popeye, all the same game just with different art. Nintendo hasn't evolved or innovated in game play beyond motion controls which suck compared to a controller or joystick. I'm even less impressed now. Nintendo never matured as as company.
Nintendo never evolved or innovated gameplay? Seriously?

They essentially wrote the book on how to properly adapt gameplay to three dimensions. Super Mario 64 was a definitive title that essentially created the benchmark for what 3D gaming could be like, especially for companies bridging the gap from "traditional" 2D gaming to 3D-capable machines such as the N64 or PSX. Even after they laid out the examples, other companies still failed to properly adapt for years afterward.

Nintendo is one of the more innovative companies out there. Granted, they've been playing with the same IPs for decades...but the individual games themselves are far from stagnant.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:44 AM   #48
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

This was a surprising and interesting video. I know of Chris Stuckmann for his movie reviews, so it was unexpected when I saw this video.

He makes some points that I have myself. I remember being biased against PlayStation for years because I felt like they booted Nintendo out of the video game limelight in the 90's. Having grown up with Nintendo, I sort of resented them for what felt like leaving me behind. I'm pretty over it now, but this video kind of sums up how I feel also.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #49
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

To each his own. I hate to say it but I thought that video was terrible and I say that as a Nintendo fan who finds them maddening at times. So I'm not looking at Nintendo through rose tinted glasses. But this video was all over the place and some of the points made were either insanely obvious (like when he says "We want good games!" Well no shit man. Do you really think Nintendo doesn't know that?) or just wrong in my view. His point about Rare was way off. If he's as obsessed with games as he seems to be, how can he not know the real story of what happened with Rare? From what I've read, Nintendo had to do some major hand holding with them to get some of their later games to come out as good as they did. This is not the worst decision Nintendo has ever made, not by a long shot.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #50
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nintendo never evolved or innovated gameplay? Seriously?

They essentially wrote the book on how to properly adapt gameplay to three dimensions. Super Mario 64 was a definitive title that essentially created the benchmark for what 3D gaming could be like, especially for companies bridging the gap from "traditional" 2D gaming to 3D-capable machines such as the N64 or PSX. Even after they laid out the examples, other companies still failed to properly adapt for years afterward.

Nintendo is one of the more innovative companies out there. Granted, they've been playing with the same IPs for decades...but the individual games themselves are far from stagnant.
Lol hogwash. Nintendo was dragged kicking and screaming towards 3d. Even Sega was already doing 3d, Sony, PC developers, arcade developers. Super Mario 64... lol oh hey another platformer, ooo its 3d. Your view of history is warped.

Nintendo relies on the same handful of IP, the last couple consoles having little 3rd party support, while also being underpowered, that's not innovation, waggle doesn't cut it sorry.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #51
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Lol hogwash. Nintendo was dragged kicking and screaming towards 3d. Even Sega was already doing 3d, Sony, PC developers, arcade developers. Super Mario 64... lol oh hey another platformer, ooo its 3d. Your view of history is warped.
Yup, my my view of history is warped .
Old 02-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #52
Anenome
Autarchist

I was at E3 in 1995 when Super Mario 64 was unveiled to the US public, we got to play it, it was a revelation to the entire industry and universally lauded and praised. It was the game that finally proved platforming could be fun rather than frustrating in 3D.

Like Zelda, it became a massive influence for so many games after it, that borrows its control schemes and tropes.

How anyone can denigrate SM64 is beyond me. It will be in the gaming canon as a historical classic long after you and I are dead and gone, it will be played for generations, and admired by young game developers as a masterful achievement for a long time to come.

After the N64 was released, the Playstation was forced to release their own analog controller with integrated analog joystick--the original PSX controller did not have an analog joystick, if you remember.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #53
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I was at E3 in 1995 when Super Mario 64 was unveiled to the US public, we got to play it, it was a revelation to the entire industry and universally lauded and praised. It was the game that finally proved platforming could be fun rather than frustrating in 3D.

Like Zelda, it became a massive influence for so many games after it, that borrows its control schemes and tropes.

How anyone can denigrate SM64 is beyond me. It will be in the gaming canon as a historical classic long after you and I are dead and gone, it will be played for generations, and admired by young game developers as a masterful achievement for a long time to come.

After the N64 was released, the Playstation was forced to release their own analog controller with integrated analog joystick--the original PSX controller did not have an analog joystick, if you remember.
Easily it's at it's core still a damn platformer, geared towards kids. I remember the N64 controller, i owned one, one
Old 02-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #54
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm even less impressed now. Nintendo never matured as as company.

Why is sony working on a hybrid? Lololololol
Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Easily it's at it's core still a damn platformer, geared towards kids.
The hardest mario game ever.

For kids.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #56
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Easily it's at it's core still a damn platformer, geared towards kids. I remember the N64 controller, i owned one, one
When it doubt, just call it a kid's game, amirite?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #57
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

And Sony improved on the design by having dual analog sticks, which in turn completely changed the way that we approached interacting with a 3D space.

Just because you are the first does not mean that you did it the best.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #58
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
And Sony improved on the design by having dual analog sticks, which in turn completely changed the way that we approached interacting with a 3D space.

Never mind the N64 controller was one of the most uncomfortable controllers ever.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #59
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
The revolution of Mario 64 was the camera control scheme. 3D platforming had been done prior. Analog sticks had been done prior, though not in the console space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
SpectralThundr's argument was not that Nintendo has the best 3D history but that Nintendo didn't want to make 3D games at all, a statement that seems to forget games like Star Fox.

Now optical media? Yeah, Nintendo wanted none of that shit.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #60
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
When it doubt, just call it a kid's game, amirite?
This is the kind of shit 13-25 year olds do. To cool braa to judge it on its merit. Its literally retarded. I cant take anyone serious that does it.

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch