Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Warhammer: Vermintide 2...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:36 PM
6 Replies, 479 Views
NIS America President...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:34 PM
8 Replies, 410 Views
Wolfenstein II Launch...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:31 PM
7 Replies, 723 Views
The Young Han Solo Movie...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 04:26 PM
18 Replies, 1,089 Views
New Overwatch Patch...
Last post by LostToys
Today 02:40 PM
2 Replies, 377 Views
Ben Affleck Groping...
Last post by Terran
Today 02:09 PM
112 Replies, 16,288 Views
EA Shuts Down Visceral,...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:32 PM
21 Replies, 1,323 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 01:08 PM
8 Replies, 857 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #21
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter
 
Demo_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,725
Blog Entries: 7
So, looking at the xb1 specs, which were already significantly behind the PS4:

Feature Xbox One
RAM 8GB DDR3 Clock: 2133MHz Bandwidth: 68.26 GB/s + 32MB eSRAM Bandwidth: 204 GB/s(102 In/102 Out) [3]
Flash Memory 8GB Flash Memory [4]
CPU 8 Core AMD custom CPU Frequency: 1.75 GHz [5]
GPU Clock Speed: 853 MHz(originally 800 MHz) Shader Cores: 768 Peak Throughput: 1.31 TFLOPS [6]

Switch has half the cores, and ~.31 less TFLOPS.
Seems like Switch is more of a sequel to the 3DS than a home console competitor.
Unless these Switch numbers are for UNDOCKED performance, I think its going to be crippling for 3rd party developer participation (excepting mobile f2p devs who will flood the system with shovelware).

I couldn't get comparable stats for iphone7 to see if Switch soundly beats Apple as a mobile game platform. Anyone else?
Here's what I did find.
https://www.extremetech.com/computin...e-powerful-gpu
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #22
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Haven't owned anything nintendo since the N64. That isn't going to change. I don't need to ream anything. People with a single critical thought knew the switch would be an underpowered piece of shit. But hey enjoy your 300 dollar paperweight. I'll be over here playing PC titles not aimed at 6 year olds.
I bought a switch because I know it'll be powerful enough to have hella fun games that I enjoy and ones that my kids enjoy, and even ones we can all play together with mom. No other console can do that. Not to mention nintendo has most of their games running at 60fps, something the others can't seem to do despite their vaunted power.

We also all play on PC. I have 3 gaming pc's, mine being the most expensive by far but all are $1000+.

I don't appreciate that last bit, implying that PC gamers don't buy nintendo. i think if you spend more time on /r/pcmasterrace you'll see it's cannon to own an expensive PC and whatever nintendo sells.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #23
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Haven't owned anything nintendo since the N64. That isn't going to change. I don't need to ream anything. People with a single critical thought knew the switch would be an underpowered piece of shit. But hey enjoy your 300 dollar paperweight. I'll be over here playing PC titles not aimed at 6 year olds.
You're just crazy, man. I don't know what else to say. Im sure if I dragged a Switch over to your place with a Splatoon 2 or some MP focused Nintendo IP and a couple beers you'd be having just as much fun as losing to me as I would beating you. You just have this locked in notion in your head that you refuse to budge on. It's like talking to my grandparents about post-1950s music.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #24
Anemone
Evil Dead
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Autarchist
Posts: 6,092
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
You're just crazy, man. I don't know what else to say. Im sure if I dragged a Switch over to your place with a Splatoon 2 or some MP focused Nintendo IP and a couple beers you'd be having just as much fun as losing to me as I would beating you. You just have this locked in notion in your head that you refuse to budge on. It's like talking to my grandparents about post-1950s music.
Maybe if we knew what Spec looked like it might answer a few pressing questions, maybe something a bit like...

__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,474
The more I think of the Switch trying to fill the role of both handheld and console, the more I like it. Still, I'm not really their target market -- I just want 2 games and don't personally think it's worth the cost of entry. I do agree with Demo Boy that a lack of performance may ultimately be crippling as far as 3rd party support goes, but I imagine Nintendo has considered that. If they had full support of 3rd party titles that were comparable to the competition, I'd be more inclined to consider picking one up.

On a bright note, hopefully Wii U prices will fall further and I may snag a good deal for one with Mario Kart + Smash Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Maybe if we knew what Spec looked like it might answer a few pressing questions, maybe something a bit like...
Now this isn't a game that you want to play.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Many cultures of the world marry girls off after their first menses, around 13 years old. I can't say that's inherently immoral, no.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #26
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
The more I think of the Switch trying to fill the role of both handheld and console, the more I like it. Still, I'm not really their target market -- I just want 2 games and don't personally think it's worth the cost of entry. I do agree with Demo Boy that a lack of performance may ultimately be crippling as far as 3rd party support goes, but I imagine Nintendo has considered that. If they had full support of 3rd party titles that were comparable to the competition, I'd be more inclined to consider picking one up.
Will be interesting to see how the Switch pans out. It seems like it could go either way. I think the 3rd party support will be somewhere in the middle. It'll probably have some big holes in it's library like RDR2. From says that they have DS3 running fine on the Switch. We've seen some other 3rd party titles such as Skyrim: Special Edition and FIFA. So it's probably capable of handling middle of the road 3rd party titles just fine and some big developers have either announced games or have shown "support" but quite a few more are apprehensive, and want to see what Nintendo's install-base looks like maybe a year out first. Can't blame them. The Wii U was disaster for 3rd party software.

But thinking about getting a fully mobile version of some 3rd party games and Nintendo's quality 1st party titles is a pretty big draw (for me). I have no idea how well the Switch is going to sell, honestly. I couldn't even begin to guess. It could flop harder than the Wii U's sales figures or it could hit 50+ million units moved. I can't even muster anything in the way of a guess that I feel would be ballpark. But early strong sales numbers will be critical to the Switch getting 3rd party support, or it will definitely go the way of the Wii U. In that way, the Switch's year 1 library quality as well as the showings at E3 this year is critical, IMO. And also, I think if that launch Zelda title is one-of-a-kind quality, it'll be hard to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Now this isn't a game that you want to play.
Yah, Anemone, if that is a real photo of Spectral, no need to do that. I'm sure if that is him, he didn't take and post that photo for someone to rehash it in a "community" he frequents. Or maybe he wouldn't care at all. But, it's just not exactly a tasteful move. "Thanks, dad".
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #27
Anemone
Evil Dead
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Autarchist
Posts: 6,092
Blog Entries: 3
No it's a joke :P Where would I get a photo of Spectral :P I'm just suggesting he's old too, like a grandparent, thus the headstrongness.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #28
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
No it's a joke :P Where would I get a photo of Spectral :P I'm just suggesting he's old too, like a grandparent, thus the headstrongness.
Ah got it Okay, wasn't sure if that was actually a legit picture of him.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #29
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I like how you started out being reasonable but by the end of the post you start frothing at the mouth again.
Anenome or Anemone or whatever one of his accounts he's using at the moment (against site rules might I add) surely doesn't deserve civility.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #30
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Will be interesting to see how the Switch pans out. It seems like it could go either way. I think the 3rd party support will be somewhere in the middle. It'll probably have some big holes in it's library like RDR2. From says that they have DS3 running fine on the Switch. We've seen some other 3rd party titles such as Skyrim: Special Edition and FIFA. So it's probably capable of handling middle of the road 3rd party titles just fine and some big developers have either announced games or have shown "support" but quite a few more are apprehensive, and want to see what Nintendo's install-base looks like maybe a year out first. Can't blame them. The Wii U was disaster for 3rd party software.

But thinking about getting a fully mobile version of some 3rd party games and Nintendo's quality 1st party titles is a pretty big draw (for me). I have no idea how well the Switch is going to sell, honestly. I couldn't even begin to guess. It could flop harder than the Wii U's sales figures or it could hit 50+ million units moved. I can't even muster anything in the way of a guess that I feel would be ballpark. But early strong sales numbers will be critical to the Switch getting 3rd party support, or it will definitely go the way of the Wii U. In that way, the Switch's year 1 library quality as well as the showings at E3 this year is critical, IMO. And also, I think if that launch Zelda title is one-of-a-kind quality, it'll be hard to ignore.



Yah, Anemone, if that is a real photo of Spectral, no need to do that. I'm sure if that is him, he didn't take and post that photo for someone to rehash it in a "community" he frequents. Or maybe he wouldn't care at all. But, it's just not exactly a tasteful move. "Thanks, dad".
Obviously its some image he stole off reddit or imgur. We all know little pedophile Mikey isn't known for his honesty
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #31
Anemone
Evil Dead
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Autarchist
Posts: 6,092
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Anenome or Anemone or whatever one of his accounts he's using at the moment (against site rules might I add) surely doesn't deserve civility.
Otherisation of those you disagree with, aka cult thinking. You're becoming just as bad as the black lives matter people who say it's okay to punch a nazi.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #32
Anemone
Evil Dead
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Autarchist
Posts: 6,092
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Obviously its some image he stole off reddit or imgur. We all know little pedophile Mikey isn't known for his honesty
See and now you're just stupidly ridiculous with over the top accusations.

You don't need to have an aneurysm every time someone says something you disagree with
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #33
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Otherisation of those you disagree with, aka cult thinking. You're becoming just as bad as the black lives matter people who say it's okay to punch a nazi.
Yeah, you'd never "other" someone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Alright, Elektro, we'll bite.

Give us a few examples of "good anime" in your opinion.

And I swear to god, if you say "Inuyasha" I am revoking your motherfucking man card!

And after we get through laughing at your suggestions, ....
You becomes "we" as you cast out those not falling in line with your opinion. You "other" people by telling them that "we" are going to laugh at their opinions because they ostensibly don't align with your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Will be interesting to see how the Switch pans out. It seems like it could go either way. I think the 3rd party support will be somewhere in the middle. It'll probably have some big holes in it's library like RDR2. From says that they have DS3 running fine on the Switch. We've seen some other 3rd party titles such as Skyrim: Special Edition and FIFA. So it's probably capable of handling middle of the road 3rd party titles just fine and some big developers have either announced games or have shown "support" but quite a few more are apprehensive, and want to see what Nintendo's install-base looks like maybe a year out first. Can't blame them. The Wii U was disaster for 3rd party software.

But thinking about getting a fully mobile version of some 3rd party games and Nintendo's quality 1st party titles is a pretty big draw (for me). I have no idea how well the Switch is going to sell, honestly. I couldn't even begin to guess. It could flop harder than the Wii U's sales figures or it could hit 50+ million units moved. I can't even muster anything in the way of a guess that I feel would be ballpark. But early strong sales numbers will be critical to the Switch getting 3rd party support, or it will definitely go the way of the Wii U. In that way, the Switch's year 1 library quality as well as the showings at E3 this year is critical, IMO. And also, I think if that launch Zelda title is one-of-a-kind quality, it'll be hard to ignore.
Skyrim launched in Nov of 2011. To me, getting a game that will be around 6 years old at the time of release isn't all that notable. The 3rd party I'm speaking of are the newer titles. Plus, if people were upset by the difference in power between the XB1 and PS4, how will this drop be acceptable to people valuing that? Again, to each their own.

You still have to enjoy Zelda type games, and not be tired of the series, to want even a very well done Zelda.

With the Nintendo products, I don't put a lot of faith in their initial sales because it seems like they're purposely limiting the number of available units. Don't get me wrong, I hope the Switch is awesome, because I'd like to own an awesome system -- I just personally would like to see them at least at least pushing hardware that was semi-comparable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Many cultures of the world marry girls off after their first menses, around 13 years old. I can't say that's inherently immoral, no.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #34
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Yeah, you'd never "other" someone:

You becomes "we" as you cast out those not falling in line with your opinion. You "other" people by telling them that "we" are going to laugh at their opinions because they ostensibly don't align with your own.

Skyrim launched in Nov of 2011. To me, getting a game that will be around 6 years old at the time of release isn't all that notable. The 3rd party I'm speaking of are the newer titles.
Yah, I should have just left Skyrim off the list, it wasn't validating my point, but the point I was trying make is that I think based on what From Software has said and others, and based on what little 3rd party have currently been announced, I could say with luke warm confidence that the Nintendo Switch can at least handle some* currently popular (new or newer) 3rd party titles. And when I say handle, I mean, the Switch's hardware can handle. I could be wrong.

So the optimism is that, along with hopefully some of Nintendo's best software offerings, I would get some 3rd party titles that release (that aren't too demanding) and I would get a fully mobile capable version of them. That has value to me. But again, not everyone.

On Zelda, it may appeal to people who are tired of the series as well. The direction is fairly starkly different than previous entries. It's "open world", it's darker in tone, it features narration and voice acting for the first time, has a more robust/important physics engine for physics based puzzles, emphasizes deeper exploration, etc. I didn't like Skyward Sword. I didn't like Twilight Princess, but if the new Zelda game deviates enough from the typical "Zelda Formula" and is just a really great game over-all, I think people will take notice.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah, I should have just left Skyrim off the list, it wasn't validating my point, but the point I was trying make is that I think based on what From Software has said and others, and based on what little 3rd party have currently been announced, I could say with luke warm confidence that the Nintendo Switch can at least handle some* currently popular (new or newer) 3rd party titles. And when I say handle, I mean, the Switch's hardware can handle. I could be wrong.

So the optimism is that, along with hopefully some of Nintendo's best software offerings, I would get some 3rd party titles that release (that aren't too demanding) and I would get a fully mobile capable version of them. That has value to me. But again, not everyone.

On Zelda, it may appeal to people who are tired of the series as well. The direction is fairly starkly different than previous entries. It's "open world", it's darker in tone, it features narration and voice acting for the first time, has a more robust/important physics engine for physics based puzzles, emphasizes deeper exploration, etc. I didn't like Skyward Sword. I didn't like Twilight Princess, but if the new Zelda game deviates enough from the typical "Zelda Formula" and is just a really great game over-all, I think people will take notice.
Pat you're not old enough to have experienced the NES when it originally came out. So I can actually understand why you might not be as sick of the same ol same ol some of us experienced first hand and have seen time and time again out of Nintendo. I can respect that. For me personally Nintendo at this point is just disappointing because for a company that has been in the industry going back to the heyday of arcades, a time period I saw and grew up in, it's as though in some ways they are very much stuck in the past while a good majority of the rest of the industry has simply passed them to the point of doing laps around them.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #36
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Though we knew it, it is kind of embarrassing that Nintendo has two systems within the same generation that are weaker than the competition.

What does it matter?

Its not like buying a PS4 is doing anything but half assing it when there are PC's

Nintendo doesn't do graphics wars anymore, the returns are not worth impressing 13 year olds.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy
blackzc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #37
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
I bought a switch because I know it'll be powerful enough to have hella fun games that I enjoy and ones that my kids enjoy, and even ones we can all play together with mom. No other console can do that. Not to mention nintendo has most of their games running at 60fps, something the others can't seem to do despite their vaunted power.

We also all play on PC. I have 3 gaming pc's, mine being the most expensive by far but all are $1000+.

I don't appreciate that last bit, implying that PC gamers don't buy nintendo. i think if you spend more time on /r/pcmasterrace you'll see it's cannon to own an expensive PC and whatever nintendo sells.
I actually don't visit reddit at all. It's as big a cesspool of stupid as say something like 4chan. I don't have a ton of free time for marathons of gaming, i refuse to waste it on games I played in 1985 on the NES, although obviously better looking visually obviously. If Nintendo actually tried to compete rather than be stuck in the past, maybe I'd care. I think it's obvious at this point they have zero intention of doing so. Never mind the artificial scarcity of this thing they're apparently going for. At some point, and it will be sooner than I think most Nintendo fans realize, they're going to be another Sega or worse, exit the industry. Which seems to be the way alot of Japanese developers are headed.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:18 AM   #38
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Pat you're not old enough to have experienced the NES when it originally came out. So I can actually understand why you might not be as sick of the same ol same ol some of us experienced first hand and have seen time and time again out of Nintendo. I can respect that. For me personally Nintendo at this point is just disappointing because for a company that has been in the industry going back to the heyday of arcades, a time period I saw and grew up in, it's as though in some ways they are very much stuck in the past while a good majority of the rest of the industry has simply passed them to the point of doing laps around them.
Spectral, I can personally attest to the fact that Patrick - without question - is most certainly old enough to have experienced the NES when it was in it's prime. You're just pulling shit out of your ass and calling it Fact.

Is it so unimaginable to you that he likes Nintendo's offerings, despite having used their hardware and software since the NES days?
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #39
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 6,316
I believe Pat mentioned he was born in 84. The Nes came out in 85. So no he wasn't really aware enough imo with the NES.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #40
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Pat you're not old enough to have experienced the NES when it originally came out. So I can actually understand why you might not be as sick of the same ol same ol some of us experienced first hand and have seen time and time again out of Nintendo. I can respect that. For me personally Nintendo at this point is just disappointing because for a company that has been in the industry going back to the heyday of arcades, a time period I saw and grew up in, it's as though in some ways they are very much stuck in the past while a good majority of the rest of the industry has simply passed them to the point of doing laps around them.
I had an NES in its prime and I'm not sick of Nintendo. Sure not all of their games are for me but that's true for every publisher. I don't know why you keep hammering the point that you think Nintendo is for babies as if the PS4 or XB1 can only be handled by big strapping men.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 PM.