Last post by blackzc
Today 02:44 AM
4 Replies, 757 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Cliff Bleszinski On Saving LawBreakers

GameSpot has interviewed Cliff Bleszinski on saving LawBreakers.

Quote:
GameSpot: What were some of the key pieces of feedback you've heard since launch?

Cliff Bleszinski: People who sit down and play the game see that, apart from it looking very different, art style wise, it actually plays quite a bit different. However, it's because I didn't do the same archetypes of the guy who builds the turret or the sniper or the traditional kind of healer that follows behind people, the healing ray, we kind of rolled our own archetypes. That ultimately proved to be very confusing for a lot of core players who were getting into it, in regards to, are they gonna watch the tutorial video? What happens if people like to go online and then they hit all the buttons or all the keys and they just want to figure out, kind of in a vacuum, what they can do with that?

So, what we've done is you kinda double back. And I'm not going to go into all the future content yet, in terms of things we're working on, but creating a far better onboarding experience where it works on PlayStation, it works on PC, it'd have more of a scripted tutorial and continue to look at ways we can improve our offline mode, so people could quote, you know, practice their lines a lot better before they get on stage. So, that was the big take away, honestly, from us.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

To me that answer reads like the game was great, but gamers were too stupid to figure it out. Seems like Cliffy B could be in denial.

I apologize if I'm wrong.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I feel sorry for him. It's like throwing good money after bad at this point.

It didn't work dude and the sales window has passed. Time to call it a day and move on.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Booda
Beam another Blast

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
It didn't work dude and the sales window has passed.
And that, as they say, is that.

/thread
/Lawbreakers
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I feel sorry for him. It's like throwing good money after bad at this point.

It didn't work dude and the sales window has passed. Time to call it a day and move on.
Pretty much this. The best thing he could do at this point is learn from his mistake and move on to a new franchise. Throwing more money and more development time into a failed product is just more money thrown away. They could take whatever they learned from this game (which seems to be that gamers aren't interested in another generic PC-only shooter) and apply that lesson to a new product.

This is the guy who created Gears of War, let loose your inner Markus Fenix and go back to a 3rd person shooter with a new world and story.

As for Lawbrakers... nuke it from Orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I didn't know he was into Oculus but he was really wealthy before then with the whole lamborghini thing, nice house, hot girlfriend and so on. The video paints him in a poor light I am not sure he deserves.

I remember the first time I met him when he came into the meeting room, shook my hand and introduced himself: "Hi, I'm Cliff" and I said something like "Hey, yep, I recognize you. Nice to finally meet you."

He said "A lot of people do but I feel like a douche assuming people will." He remembered my name every time we met after.

I'm not going to say we're tight or anything but he never came off as anything other than cordial and, not exactly humble, but not an ego-maniac, in person.

I still think more investment in Lawbreakers is a waste but that's no reason to keep hammering the dude at the personal level.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
This video says more about the state of society than it does anything. A bunch of smart mouthed faggots put that video together. Its actually hard to watch.

2 things are going on here. People with no direction in life, looking for video games to fill the void, get jaded when Doom clone #389 doesn't do the trick. That creates the space for this kind of video to get clicks. Media, which is rife with snarky, pieces of human shit, agree with the gamers as they to are useless, so they cater to their sentiments.

We are fucking saturated with games. Cliffy B's fuck up is he tried to hype this as the next big thing to take the top spot from PUBG or KOTH. But its just anther shooter. They can only get so good. You cant force it, it has to go ...viral....
Old 10-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

LOL, just watched the video all the way through. (Lawbreakers developers has gender neutral bathrooms). Guess what try hards? So does my house. Gender neutral bathrooms are the future. Now im glad his game flopped.

Hahahahaha!!
Old 10-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
MadMurdock_0311
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
This video says more about the state of society than it does anything. A bunch of smart mouthed faggots put that video together. Its actually hard to watch.

2 things are going on here. People with no direction in life, looking for video games to fill the void, get jaded when Doom clone #389 doesn't do the trick. That creates the space for this kind of video to get clicks. Media, which is rife with snarky, pieces of human shit, agree with the gamers as they to are useless, so they cater to their sentiments.

We are fucking saturated with games. Cliffy B's fuck up is he tried to hype this as the next big thing to take the top spot from PUBG or KOTH. But its just anther shooter. They can only get so good. You cant force it, it has to go ...viral....
I gotta agree with you here. There was a lot of hate towards him (in this video) because he has a ton of money now, and lives lavishly. Sounds like a bunch of jealous neckbeards living in mom's basement. The dude created a lot of great video games that sold well. No doubt he worked hard and earned his money. Good for him.

I don't understand the hatred towards those who work hard (or get lucky) and strike it rich. That's the American Dream, you fuckwits! Maybe if you got off your fat-ass, moved out of mommy and daddy's house, hit the gym to lose 150-lbs, start shaving your neck, work hard, and start [respectfully] talking to women instead of being a little faggot incel who trolls reddit and youtube, you could live a respectable life, with a decent job, and have a hot girlfriend. At which point you would stop concerning yourself with people who have it better than you, and enjoy the one life you've been given.

I'd love to see a picture of the loser that put this video together, and learn of his life accomplishments. Also, sorry for the rant, but blackzc made some good points and got me going...
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't understand the hatred towards those who work hard (or get lucky) and strike it rich.
I'm sure for a huge number of folks it's simply a case of envy coupled with laziness or lack of exceptional ability at whatever they do. They're just mediocre or lazy people.

However, there are some everyday folks, like myself, who have come to recognize that much of the 1% in our society are not there due to any particular ability or hard work on their part. They are simply part of a self-perpetuating circle-of-jerks gaming the system and contributing little to nothing. Additionally, when folks do reach the pinnacle of success due to hard work (actual MERIT) and then spend their time atop their particular field lecturing others about how shitty the nation that gave them that shot is, it's a bit tough for average folks to take their ungrateful fucktardian asses seriously.

None of this is necessarily about Cliff Bleszinski. I don't know him from Adam. I do, however, have my eyes wide open about the folks with wealth and power in our society, and most of them are not much better than pieces of shit who were just lucky enough to get flushed down a golden toilet rather than stuck in a fatberg under Baltimore.

And the poorest folks in America, and I am far from that with three months vacation a year and a travel trailer to spend it in, still live far better than most of the world's billions, so Americans can all be grateful for winning life's lottery. Billions would give up their left nut, right arm, and even a leg to trade places with any one of us.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #12
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

So, If i understand this correctly, cliff is butthurt because his game is basically overwatch.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #13
BillyWilliamton
Death Knight

I'd say a good portion of the hate is from the Social Justice crap that he likes to share with us unclean ones from time to time in interviews and on twatter.

He likes to talk shit about his consumers:

Quote about PCs
"The PC right now is a fair amount different to what it was back in the day, with all the badly integrated video chips," said Cliff.

"Here's the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC."

Got pissy when Notch wouldnt develop for the Oculus.

I'm not quite sure how to explain the next part but you know how some people get so hyped on their project and they are so sure it's going to do well that when they discuss it, they talk about it like it's already a household name without explaining anything about the product or why it deserves to be a household name.
PC Gamers specifically dont seem to care for this.
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
So, If i understand this correctly, cliff is butthurt because his game is basically overwatch.
His game isn't basically Overwatch because Overwatch is actually fun to play.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #15
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

This game is a mess from a basic game design perspective to an aesthetic one as well. Just look at that screenshot. It's mostly a single grey color, the characters have terrible silhouettes with nearly the same bulky armored look and dull shared color palettes. None of the characters are interesting to look at or draw the interest of the eye or have interesting characters backgrounds.

It's not that they aren't using the typical archetypes, having different ones isn't bad. It's just that the game as a whole isn't interesting: It doesn't stand out visually, the character design is awful, and the gameplay is more or less dull. Cliff, baring a complete overhaul of nearly everything, there isn't any saving this game with a First Time User Experience or Initial User Experience. Move on from this, get a better art staff and try something else.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
His game isn't basically Overwatch because Overwatch is actually fun to play.
Sure if you like over rated mp only shooters. Though I keep forgetting that Blizzard themselves are about as over rated as a developer can be to begin with.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Sure if you like over rated mp only shooters. Though I keep forgetting that Blizzard themselves are about as over rated as a developer can be to begin with.
I'm not a big fan of Overwatch myself since I don't care much for multiplayer-only shooters, but I recognize that the art style is great, the maps are interesting, the gameplay mechanics sound and the loot system isn't bad (Heroes of the Storm has pretty much the same system now and I like it).

It might not be for me, I do see why people like it.

Lawbreakers never looked interesting. The art style is terrible, the maps bland, the gameplay is built around the worst part of first-person shooters (jumping puzzles) and it was initially designed to be a Pay-to-Win Korean PC-only shooter. If that isn't a formula for failure I don't know what is.

CliffyB himself seems like a decent fellow. I only met him once and he was great. He loved games, knew a ton more about games than I will ever know and seemed really dedicated to making Unreal Tournament great.

That was before fame & fortune seem to have turned him into a gigantic douchebag. Look at that video above -- what kind of an idiot flys off to Disneyland two days before the first public showing of your game? While other teams were still coding their game demos on the plane, CliffyB was riding splash mountain. That's someone who has become seriously out of touch with where he should be as a developer.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:16 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I'm not a big fan of Overwatch myself since I don't care much for multiplayer-only shooters, but I recognize that the art style is great, the maps are interesting, the gameplay mechanics sound and the loot system isn't bad (Heroes of the Storm has pretty much the same system now and I like it).

It might not be for me, I do see why people like it.

Lawbreakers never looked interesting. The art style is terrible, the maps bland, the gameplay is built around the worst part of first-person shooters (jumping puzzles) and it was initially designed to be a Pay-to-Win Korean PC-only shooter. If that isn't a formula for failure I don't know what is.

CliffyB himself seems like a decent fellow. I only met him once and he was great. He loved games, knew a ton more about games than I will ever know and seemed really dedicated to making Unreal Tournament great.

That was before fame & fortune seem to have turned him into a gigantic douchebag. Look at that video above -- what kind of an idiot flys off to Disneyland two days before the first public showing of your game? While other teams were still coding their game demos on the plane, CliffyB was riding splash mountain. That's someone who has become seriously out of touch with where he should be as a developer.
The art style is the same over stylized anime look that nearly every developer is doing these days. It's awful. It's the same art style in a way they used for Diablo 3 which was equally awful visually compared to the older titles in that series.

I've no love for Cliffy, and don't care about lawbreakers at all, it just drives me nuts that people keep putting shit like Overwatch or even Heroes of the Storm on some pedestal like they're god's gift to gaming, when really it's the same tired ol Blizzard lack of depth and cartoony visuals that they seem to constantly go for since WoW regardless of genre. Honestly I wish the industry would get over the whole over stylized anime visuals and we could go back to gritty realistic looking games, the color brown and all.

I do however still think Unreal is one of the better engines of the lot.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #19
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Of course one of the few western devs i like, you hate. I never have and never will play overwatch but everything else they have done is very good, nintendo tier stuff. TF2 style shooters annoy me, its to hard to tell whats going on, everything blends together.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #20
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I fell for the hype when Overwatch came out and bought it. I played it for a couple of weeks, waiting for the fun I kept hearing about. I finally realized I hate that damn game.

At least Lawbreakers has real-ish guns. With bullets. I haven't and will not buy it, I can play Quake Champions if I'm in the mood for an arena shooter, but I'd try it if it were F2P out of curiosity. The visuals aren't it's selling point for sure, but they're not a negative for me either.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss key productions, lawbreakers, nexon