Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Star Control: Origins...
Last post by Drake_NS
Today 12:24 AM
4 Replies, 371 Views
Red Dead Redemption 2...
Last post by Primus
Today 12:16 AM
16 Replies, 947 Views
Unboxing BIG BOX PC &...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 10:58 PM
5 Replies, 323 Views
Telltale Games Shutting...
Last post by Hellstorm
Yesterday 10:00 PM
2 Replies, 323 Views
First Look at Joaquin...
Last post by MavenACTG
Yesterday 08:00 PM
3 Replies, 449 Views
Nicolas Cage Breaks Down...
Last post by LostToys
Yesterday 07:16 PM
9 Replies, 700 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by HB_IKE
Yesterday 03:52 PM
12 Replies, 462 Views
Destiny 2 Gambit's Free...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 10:45 AM
0 Replies, 177 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,897
Blog Entries: 20
Captive State Teaser Trailer: Itís Time to Take Back Our Planet


Quote:
From the director of RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, watch the teaser trailer for CAPTIVE STATE. In theaters March 2019.

No crime. No poverty. No unemployment. The state of our union is strong. #CaptiveState
Learn more about The Legislature at thelegislaturegov.com

Set in a Chicago neighborhood nearly a decade after an occupation by an extra-terrestrial force, ďCaptive StateĒ explores the lives on both sides of the conflict Ė the collaborators and dissidents.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,455
I didn't watch the trailer, but it sounds like it's about fascist aliens? Some kind of Hollywood commentary on Trump no doubt.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,897
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I didn't watch the trailer, but it sounds like it's about fascist aliens? Some kind of Hollywood commentary on Trump no doubt.
I had to laugh at the trailer... no crime, no poverty, high standard of living... what exactly would there be to rebel against?

I don't think any of us would want to live under a facist dictatorship, but what if your facist dictatorship was really working toward increasing your high standard of living and making life great? Would you mind then?
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Skunk
Evil Dead
 
Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
no crime, no poverty, high standard of living... what exactly would there be to rebel against?
According to the Wachowski bros humanity mentally suicides when it's provided with a Utopian life. Not to mention America is a country founded by rebel traders and settled by roughneck individualists, where gangsters and cowboys are romanticized into antiheroes. I love my country but I feel that objectively we really celebrate revolt against authority at any opportunity.

So like, what if you could have all these things but you had no self-determination, and something someone else did or said about you led to your whole family being sent to a prison camp forever... in fact lets say three generations up and down of your family, so this includes your grandparents and your grand kids. Also includes your aunts, uncles, and cousins. Would this make you want to rebel?

Because this is the exact system North Koreans live under, and it horrifies them into total submission.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
This is EvAv man, the Mos Eisley of gaming sites.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:50 AM   #5
AlfredT
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I had to laugh at the trailer... no crime, no poverty, high standard of living... what exactly would there be to rebel against?

I don't think any of us would want to live under a facist dictatorship, but what if your facist dictatorship was really working toward increasing your high standard of living and making life great? Would you mind then?
Man get a time machine, you really need to meet this Jim Jones fellow.

Also its fascist. When you get that funny lil red squiggly, it means you're Engrish is wrong.
__________________
There are sharks in the water, and your mangina is bleeding heavily.
AlfredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,897
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
According to the Wachowski bros humanity mentally suicides when it's provided with a Utopian life. Not to mention America is a country founded by rebel traders and settled by roughneck individualists, where gangsters and cowboys are romanticized into antiheroes. I love my country but I feel that objectively we really celebrate revolt against authority at any opportunity.

So like, what if you could have all these things but you had no self-determination, and something someone else did or said about you led to your whole family being sent to a prison camp forever... in fact lets say three generations up and down of your family, so this includes your grandparents and your grand kids. Also includes your aunts, uncles, and cousins. Would this make you want to rebel?

Because this is the exact system North Koreans live under, and it horrifies them into total submission.
Except that isnít the system the North Koreans live under, because they still have poverty and tons of them live at starvation levels.

Iím saying if you had a system like they suggest in the trailer where there is no crime or poverty and the alien overlords were actually working to make life better, what would there be to rebel against?
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Iím saying if you had a system like they suggest in the trailer where there is no crime or poverty and the alien overlords were actually working to make life better, what would there be to rebel against?
Oh, probably the oppressive, all-controlling occupying force that would be overseeing every aspect of our lives to ensure those things were maintained (primarily the "no crime" part, really).

This isn't necessarily an uncommon trope in dystopian fiction. The "fascist paradise" wouldn't be a paradise at all.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,897
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Oh, probably the oppressive, all-controlling occupying force that would be overseeing every aspect of our lives to ensure those things were maintained (primarily the "no crime" part, really).

This isn't necessarily an uncommon trope in dystopian fiction. The "fascist paradise" wouldn't be a paradise at all.
Well, for those of us who don't commit crimes in the first place... nothing would change, would it?
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Well, for those of us who don't commit crimes in the first place... nothing would change, would it?
Yeah, that attitude usually works out well in the long-run.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,897
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah, that attitude usually works out well in the long-run.
Someone has to be the guy putting the boot on the neck of the little people.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead
 
MadMurdock_0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mom's basement
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
According to the Wachowski bros humanity mentally suicides when it's provided with a Utopian life. Not to mention America is a country founded by rebel traders and settled by roughneck individualists, where gangsters and cowboys are romanticized into antiheroes. I love my country but I feel that objectively we really celebrate revolt against authority at any opportunity.
Well said. I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I’m saying if you had a system like they suggest in the trailer where there is no crime or poverty and the alien overlords were actually working to make life better, what would there be to rebel against?
Well, what constitutes a crime? Who makes the laws? What if you enjoy sex, and everything but the missionary position is made illegal? What if you enjoy drinking alcohol, but your new ruler outlaws alcohol altogether? I enjoy firearms, but under fascist rule, those would no doubt be banned. So, ultimately, depending on the rule of law, there could be plenty to rebel against.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Skunk
Evil Dead
 
Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Except that isnít the system the North Koreans live under, because they still have poverty and tons of them live at starvation levels.

Iím saying if you had a system like they suggest in the trailer where there is no crime or poverty and the alien overlords were actually working to make life better, what would there be to rebel against?
So I know I'm too late in responding to this, but part of the point is that North Koreans (at least for a long time didn't) don't know that they are worse off than the rest of the world.

In the video, the propaganda voice is telling them there is no crime or poverty, and yet people in the shots are getting schrecked by the Alien Stasi. Why are there stormtrooper cops if there is no crime? In North Korea the government tells the people they have the highest standard of living (and they really don't have crime, it's a bad idea there) so what is the difference?

All this to say, why rebel if everything is good? Maybe it's not good. Maybe it's the Big Voice telling you it's good while your friends are disappearing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
This is EvAv man, the Mos Eisley of gaming sites.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
According to the Wachowski bros humanity mentally suicides when it's provided with a Utopian life. Not to mention America is a country founded by rebel traders and settled by roughneck individualists, where gangsters and cowboys are romanticized into antiheroes. I love my country but I feel that objectively we really celebrate revolt against authority at any opportunity.

So like, what if you could have all these things but you had no self-determination, and something someone else did or said about you led to your whole family being sent to a prison camp forever... in fact lets say three generations up and down of your family, so this includes your grandparents and your grand kids. Also includes your aunts, uncles, and cousins. Would this make you want to rebel?

Because this is the exact system North Koreans live under, and it horrifies them into total submission.
I'm sure all the starving North Koreans living in poverty totally think they live in a utopia. Socialism is a joke right up there with Marxism since they're practically one and the same.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,897
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
All this to say, why rebel if everything is good? Maybe it's not good. Maybe it's the Big Voice telling you it's good while your friends are disappearing.
Well, I suspect the North Koreans know that they don't have it good. No matter how much the government clamps down, information still gets in. People sneak it in on thumb drives and people near the border get information via cell phone and radio.

In that situation the people know they aren't actually better off. Starving people know they are starving no matter what the propaganda ministry says, right?

I'm just suggesting that if life really was like the beginning of the trailer, there wouldn't be any point in rebelling. Our pioneering spirit (as someone so eloquently spoke above) makes us resistant to a fascist style government, but what if that government really was working for the benefit of the people?

That might make for a good novel or movie... where there is this group of misguided rebels who eventually come to realize that they were actually better off with the oppressive government in place. Heh.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captive state

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM.