Last post by Terran
Yesterday 04:38 PM
4 Replies, 539 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series

Netflix has announced it will be producing a series based on The Witcher Saga series of novels, by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Sapkowski will be serving as a creative consultant on the series. Platige Image, a Polish visual effects house, will co-produce the series.

Quote:
“Andrzej Sapkowski has created a rich and memorable world, at once magical and familiar,” said Erik Barmack, Netflix Vice President, international series. “We couldn’t be more excited about bringing Netflix members around the world.” “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Sapkowski. “I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life.”
No release date, casting or directorial choices have been revealed as of yet.

I'm sure this will be great news for fans of the series. It is, however, important to remember that the series shares the same source material as the games...and isn't based on the games themselves. If nothing else, it should prove to be much more profitable for Sapkowski, who does not receive any royalties from the games. Amusingly enough, it's actually not the first TV adaptation, either.
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
actusoul
Evil Dead

Hopefully a successful series like Game of Thrones. Will see.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

I am absolutely amazed at how much original content Netflix is churning out. It seems like every week or so there's another dozen new, original items available. It's mind boggling how much money they're pouring into new content.

I love it. I've found some enjoyable surprises, like the Marcella series and Queen of the South. I've also become used to watching shows at my own pace without the typical pile of commercial interruptions. I'm beyond commercials in shows, which I can't tolerate it any longer. cable/satellite TV is almost entirely dead to me.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Hope its good. IF it has a large budget maybe it will.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I am absolutely amazed at how much original content Netflix is churning out. It seems like every week or so there's another dozen new, original items available. It's mind boggling how much money they're pouring into new content.

I love it. I've found some enjoyable surprises, like the Marcella series and Queen of the South. I've also become used to watching shows at my own pace without the typical pile of commercial interruptions. I'm beyond commercials in shows, which I can't tolerate it any longer. cable/satellite TV is almost entirely dead to me.
Some of their content, like the new season of MST3K, is "produced" by them, in that they secured the exclusive rights. The upcoming Godzilla anime is another example. This, however, will be akin to Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black, in that they're involved with the production.

Still, you're not wrong; they're getting their hands on all sorts of original/exclusive content. They don't have as many new release movies, necessarily...but solid original content is almost better.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Kooch
Soul Reaper

Not receiving royalties on the games is the author's own fault if I'm not mistaken, he had no faith in the games being successful. I think I read something about him being kind of a grouch about it.
Kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
Not receiving royalties on the games is the author's own fault if I'm not mistaken, he had no faith in the games being successful. I think I read something about him being kind of a grouch about it.
Yeah, it solely rests on Sapkowski's shoulders and he readily admits it. The part that makes him most grouchy is that people tend to think his novels are tie-ins written after the fact.

I can understand why he'd be upset in that regard. He wholly owns up to the royalty situation, though.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
hotdrop
Soul Reaper

Netflix has done a great job with their originals unlike Amazon which has mostly produced crap
hotdrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
netflix, the witcher