Last post by Exodus
Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,347 Views

Old 09-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Capcom Shutters Dead Rising Studio

Quote:
Video game publisher Capcom is closing the studio behind its open-world survival horror franchise “Dead Rising,” it confirmed to Variety on Tuesday.

Capcom Game Studio Vancouver primarily develops games for markets outside of Japan. It’s most notably responsible for “Dead Rising” and the free-to-play game “Puzzle Fighter.” But, Capcom said it’s currently reviewing “the allocation of its development resources that support the production of world-class content.”

“Capcom has been focused on increasing the efficiency and growth of its game development operations,” a rep told Variety via email. “To support this objective, new R&D facilities and annual hiring have been underway at the Osaka headquarters. In consideration of this process, as a result of reviewing titles in development at Capcom Vancouver, Capcom has decided to cancel the development projects at this studio and will concentrate development of major titles in Japan.”

“As part of this overall direction, the Capcom Vancouver studio will suspend operations, effective today, so the current staff will be laid off and the office will be closed.”

About 158 employees were impacted by the studio’s closure. They will receive severance packages for their service, Capcom said, and a skeleton crew will remain in place until January 2019 to finalize the studio’s closure operations and logistics.
Variety.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Good, they screwed up when they made the last game without COOP. COOP is what made the other Dead Rising games good.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

They made the last two games way too damned easy. I was able to save everyone in Dead Rising 3 on my first playthrough, and never bothered with 4 because of very bad press about it. So it is not surprising that they were closed due to poor sales and not understanding what made Dead Rising and is sequel so fun to play.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I loved Dead Rising on 360. After that, I never got into any of them, however.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
I loved Dead Rising on 360. After that, I never got into any of them, however.
I thought the first one was pretty cool, then when the second one came out, it was kinda obvious that there just wasn't much to the gameplay. Kill zombies, look for weapons, kill more zombies. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There needs to be a little more variety than that.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
LostToys
Evil Dead

The challenge was in trying to save as many people as possible within your time limit. This is why 3 and 4 were not well accepted by the fans because the time limits were substantially lengthened. Like in 3 I was able to save everyone on my first play through. For 1 I had to use a game guide because of how tight the time management was, and in 2 I had to play it several times so I had the experience necessary to plow through the zombies and protect the idiotic AI.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Sorry to see them close up. Hopefully folks land on their feet, so many people in a studio have little to no say in how and why a game goes in the direction it does, especially when attached to a big publisher like Capcom.

I expect the people behind the decisions which sunk the game fair best of all; that's how it typically works.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Time limits suck. Speedruns suck. Anything to do with games and time SUCKS, including not having enough time to play the games you own.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Time limits suck. Speedruns suck. Anything to do with games and time SUCKS, including not having enough time to play the games you own.
I didn't always feel this way, but, now that I'm old I agree with this 100%.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Good, terrible game design is terrible and this series with timers, lack of actual interesting gameplay beyond killing zombies, etc was an overrated series to begin with. Shocked it made to to 4 titles. Should have stopped at 1.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
capcom, dead rising