Today 05:22 AM
25 Replies, 2,823 Views

Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

No Man's Sky Creator Changes Mind; Says Paid $DLC May Happen #NoMansSky

TechRaptor has the story.

Quote:
“We do want to add a ton of features, like we’ve just discussed: Freighters, bases, these type of things. But we want to do it for free. You’ve paid for the game, so you should get this stuff without paying even more money. So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches.” – Sean Murray

However, despite all the indicators pointing to a large opening sales weekend, it took only days for Murray to back away and state that there may indeed be Paid DLC in the future for No Man’s Sky. In an interview with the Daily Star, after saying that they plan on bringing a lot of new content and features to the game continuously, he refused to rule out paid DLC in the future.

He explained, “Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it” to them regarding the topic, and said that he was “perhaps naive” to suggest it would be nothing but free updates post-launch.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

He further explained "people on PC are returning it in droves between the terrible performance and that it's AAA priced and not a AAA game" It's no wonder they might back peddle on free DLC.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
firecut
Evil Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuE1tvWG-6I
firecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I thought a Elite Dangerous season pass approach would make more sense than releasing new disced games over and over.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecut View Post
I have yet to see anything that majestic in the game as from that 2014 clip, unfortunately, but as I progress the worlds have been becoming more lush, and I think that is intentional, a method of urging you to continue forward in the game, to explore new systems more and more. I'm only like four or five jumps in, just enjoying, crafting, mining, exploring, and saving cash to buy a much better ship. Pretty much maxed out my armor-slots and multitool.

I do love just flying over terrain and finding suit-slot boxes, but they're so expensive now that I have to actually farm to afford them, but I'm glad the number of slots is thus far at least generous. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a ton more.

Next job though, upgrade to a much better ship and outfit it for space combat I wanna take down a freighter soon and see what that gets me.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Anemone
Evil Dead

And I'm not remotely mad at him walking back on free DLC, he's still got a lot of credit in my book.

This game will, I think, go down as one of the classics of a new and flowering space exploration genre pioneered by Murray. It will not be the best pro-gen game of all time, but, like Mario 64, we will remember it fondly as a pioneering game that we all played.

Except for Spectral who is apparently already well into his get-off-my-lawn point in life.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
gillman
Evil Dead

Has there been any promise kept about this game? Is it even randomly generated? Can we confirm that at this point?

I am calling it:

Indie gaming is dead. No Man's Sky killed it.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

It's official. Sean Murray is the new Peter Molyneux. Including all the apoplgist fanboys and press.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
And I'm not remotely mad at him walking back on free DLC, he's still got a lot of credit in my book.

This game will, I think, go down as one of the classics of a new and flowering space exploration genre pioneered by Murray. It will not be the best pro-gen game of all time, but, like Mario 64, we will remember it fondly as a pioneering game that we all played.

Except for Spectral who is apparently already well into his get-off-my-lawn point in life.
The only reason you say any of this at all is because you have such a raging boner for progen and you hyped yourself so hard for NMS.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
It's official. Sean Murray is the new Peter Molyneux. Including all the apoplgist fanboys and press.
He's not the new Peter Molyneaux until he makes something worthwhile like a one hit wonder.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:

They should have held the game from release. I know why developers don't always do this... and it's generally due to publishers & bottom lines... fear of disappointing fans. The hype train on this one... was a lot to live up to. The technical issues side of things reminds me of Arkham Knight... except they had a well established studio to work out the kinks over the next 4-6 months. In the end... it really hurt their reputation, more than holding a game release would have.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecut View Post
That's fucking hilarious. hahahahahahahah
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Azzy
Cthulian

Good for him. I paid full price and only a few days into I'm fine with it.
While I would appreciate some free DLC, if the paid stuff added a kind of depth I would appreciate I would gladly continue to support the game.
It's fun, it's ambitious as FUCK, and in a world of people who say games like Call of Duty and Madden are great, fuck yes I'll vote with my dollar.

The video's funny but if every patch of land I moved across had a dozen creatures in it's view I would freak the fuck out and quit after an hour.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Live and learn.

I'm enjoying the game and I will continue to support it. To bad about the PC issues. I did have some shudder when I first started, but I turned on max FPS, turned off V-sync and I was golden.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

I ran across this one very cool creature that was like a horse, but had really long fingers, each of which it was walking on vertically like a hoof, like doing finger pushups, really cool.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Why? Every statement about NMS has been backtracked or hand waived away. They put stickers over the feature list on the box! You saw a bullshot-laden video in 2014 and have been droning on about the game ever since. Now you refuse to believe you were sold a bill of goods rather than the game you were promised.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Because I believe he was operating in good faith. This is an indie game that caught fire. He won't get so much grace on future efforts.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 AM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Now you refuse to believe you were sold a bill of goods rather than the game you were promised.
What you are saying just makes no sense at all.

It's not that he refuses to believe he was "sold a bill of goods" it's that people like you are refusing to believe that someone got what they were expecting. Just why are you so adamantly against he idea that someone got what they were expecting and is satisfied?

I don't pre-order games, ever, and Sean Murray was out there on Twitter, right before launch, explicitly telling everyone what to expect and what not to expect. So anyone who pays enough attention to gaming press to have been involved in the hype should also have been involved enough in the gaming press to have heard multiple times about their right-sizing expectations.

And, really, who is to blame here? Murray for not making a game that fit people's imaginations, or the idiots who continue to watch E3 films and think that informs them about a game?

No Man's Sky, We Happy Few, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed, Killzone... this stretches on and on all the way back to the PS2. People should know better than to froth at the mouth about a game that they have never actually seen before.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
What you are saying just makes no sense at all.

It's not that he refuses to believe he was "sold a bill of goods" it's that people like you are refusing to believe that someone got what they were expecting. Just why are you so adamantly against he idea that someone got what they were expecting and is satisfied?

I don't pre-order games, ever, and Sean Murray was out there on Twitter, right before launch, explicitly telling everyone what to expect and what not to expect. So anyone who pays enough attention to gaming press to have been involved in the hype should also have been involved enough in the gaming press to have heard multiple times about their right-sizing expectations.

And, really, who is to blame here? Murray for not making a game that fit people's imaginations, or the idiots who continue to watch E3 films and think that informs them about a game?

No Man's Sky, We Happy Few, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed, Killzone... this stretches on and on all the way back to the PS2. People should know better than to froth at the mouth about a game that they have never actually seen before.
Actually the only one frothing at the mouth for this has been Anenome, the rest of us saw it for what it was months if not years ago. An over hyped, over priced indie game that fails to deliver. If it were Electronic Arts people would be screaming class action lawsuit for what this game fails to deliver, but because it's some precious shitbag hipster indie dev, idiots like you give it a pass.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #20
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The only reason you say any of this at all is because you have such a raging boner for progen and you hyped yourself so hard for NMS.
This is so true, despite the fact that he doesn't (want) to understand how progen works or how shit progen is and always will be.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hello games, no man's sky