Yesterday 03:30 PM
11 Replies, 2,141 Views

Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Report: AMD Radeon RX Vega Specs Leak

HotHardware has the story.

Quote:
Just as Ryzen made AMD competitive in the high-end processor market for the first time in about a decade, there is an expectation that the company's forthcoming Vega launch will do the same in the GPU arena. Of course, right now there are more questions than answers. Some of those are starting to be answered, as least speculatively, as leaks become bigger and more frequent leading up to Vega's release. The most recent leak gives us a supposed glimpse of of Vega's specifications.

A member of reddit extracted some interesting details from a Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) update for Linux that was submitted by AMD. According to what is contained in the driver package, AMD's Radeon RX Vega will feature 64 next generation compute units, each with 64 GCN stream processors. That gives it 4,096 next generation GCN stream processors divided into four divisions, each of which comprises a shader engine.

To break things down even further, each 1,024 stream processor shader engine wields two asynchronous compute units, a render back-end, and four texture blocks. Inside each of those texture blocks are 16 texture mapping units, giving the graphics card a total of 256 TMUs. It also supports eight hardware threads.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Those would be pretty impressive numbers, if true. It would put it right alongside the 1080ti, or past it.

The only question will be how much.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
firecut
Evil Dead

I am certainly looking forward to AMD's release of Vega and seeing real benchmarks. Should be quite interesting.
firecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Yeah no thanks... I jumped on the AMD bandwagon again with the RX480.. Huge mistake.... not only is it noisy and HUGE, but the the drivers are still crap. Constant "wattman" has stopped working crashes, constant loss of video. The card doesn't seem to be defective because it can bencmark and stress test like a champ. Just if I leave it idle it will invariably lose video requiring a PC reset and then "wattman" stopped working. This is under Windows 10.

I already gave up and have a GTX 1070 to replace it with sitting next to me. I've been solid Nvidia for years after the my 4870x2 fiasco and thought I'd give them another chance since they power PS4 and X1 I thought they had gotten their act together. Nope.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I'm sure it'll be great for servers and running VMs... or whatever excuse they'll use to find to defray depressingly mediocre gaming performance of this hardware like they did the CPU after such a big pre-release beat.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I'm sure it'll be great for servers and running VMs... or whatever excuse they'll use to find to defray depressingly mediocre gaming performance of this hardware like they did the CPU after such a big pre-release beat.
Well, just like the Ryzen CPU's, the GPU's were originally designed for HPC.

It's actually amazing how well the CPU'so and GPU'so game considering.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
davidj.dk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Yeah no thanks... I jumped on the AMD bandwagon again with the RX480.. Huge mistake.... not only is it noisy and HUGE, but the the drivers are still crap. Constant "wattman" has stopped working crashes, constant loss of video. The card doesn't seem to be defective because it can bencmark and stress test like a champ. Just if I leave it idle it will invariably lose video requiring a PC reset and then "wattman" stopped working. This is under Windows 10.

I already gave up and have a GTX 1070 to replace it with sitting next to me. I've been solid Nvidia for years after the my 4870x2 fiasco and thought I'd give them another chance since they power PS4 and X1 I thought they had gotten their act together. Nope.
It's funny, I have that experience with NVIDIA, go figure. No problems with AMD at all.

With that said, I like AMD more as a company. They go with open standards available to all (Mantle - now given to the khronos group to create Vulkan, FreeSync, TressFX etc.) while NVIDIA decides to close it down and get royalties from it (physx, g-sync).

AMD seems to want to drive the community (and technology) forward and this change in recent years do seem to be paying off.
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #8
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Those would be pretty impressive numbers, if true. It would put it right alongside the 1080ti, or past it.
Uhm..... what?

Using the logic you just stated, the RX580 should be sitting between the 1070 and 1080, not struggling against the 1060. If these numbers are true, it is a catastrophe for AMD- I am not going to believe it- they couldn't possibly be *that* bad at execution coming to the generation over a year late, way over budget and with insanely high build costs. It would be a bigger engineering disaster than the VSA 100.

Quote:
Well, just like the Ryzen CPU's, the GPU's were originally designed for HPC.
Huh? Unless you are part of the viral marketing program and have insider information, everything we have seen would have these laughably poor in *ANY* HPC capacity we could think of. Abysmal TOPS performance, lack of ECC, miniscule RAM support- nothing about the information made public indicates these would be anything but a tragedy in the HPC space- likely failing to come close to Maxwell level real world performance while being *FAR* more expensive to build than Pascal.

Quote:
It's actually amazing how well the CPU'so and GPU'so game considering.
AMD might actually get better if people stopped apologizing for them sucking ass. Seriously- Ryzen is absolute utter shit for 99.999% of the world, stupidly overpriced and underperforming. Stop encouraging their absolute idiocy.

Quote:
It's funny, I have that experience with NVIDIA, go figure.
Cool, which video card from nVidia do you have that is huge and loud versus the AMD counterpart, and which driver bugs do you have? You were given specific examples on the AMD side, not to be harsh but most people who post that kind of crap are half witted viral marketers spewing lies all over forums at their master's request.

Quote:
They go with open standards available to all
You seriously mentioned 100% proprietary closed source Mantle? The API the promised would be 'open' and available to everyone but to which is still 100% closed source and proprietary? Just because Khronos released a low level API that shares functionality with..... no...... every low level API made in the last half decade doesn't mean AMD had much of an influence.

Quote:
AMD seems to want to drive the community
Kill the community. I have *NEVER* seen a company as anti tech community as AMD is. They have paid money to have all of the tech forums destroyed by their half witted locusts spewing ignorant shit to try and confuse people.

They lie all the time- Fury X an overclockers dream...... Mantle an open source API..... to get good press and then pull the rug out from it without ever so much as admitting they were bald face liars about it the entire time.

Intel and nVidia would shank a nun for a buck- at least they don't hide that fact. AMD is too cowardly and slimy to take that approach.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

AMD made the last 2-3 years The best drivers... Even the beta drivers are solid...
They only thing I have noticed is that they do not like the XBOX DVR on windows 10...
So i disable it ...
Old 05-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
AMD made the last 2-3 years The best drivers... Even the beta drivers are solid...
They only thing I have noticed is that they do not like the XBOX DVR on windows 10...
So i disable it ...
Lol it's not April 1st is it? This has to be one of the biggest bullshit posts I've read in a while. The words best and drivers should never be combined in a sentence in regards to AMD/ATI, given they've had a notoriously bad history with drivers.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #11
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Lol it's not April 1st is it? This has to be one of the biggest bullshit posts I've read in a while. The words best and drivers should never be combined in a sentence in regards to AMD/ATI, given they've had a notoriously bad history with drivers.
That's why a said THE LAST 2-3 years...
Now Nvidia is know for their crappy drivers (not as crappy as the old ATI)

What was the last time you had a problem with AMD ?
Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
That's why a said THE LAST 2-3 years...

What was the last time you had a problem with AMD ?
Everytime I've owned either an AMD or ATI part it was nothing but shitty performance and driver issues. Everything from games crashing for no reason or the CPU running hot as fuck with extra cooling measures taken. I learned my lesson, you get what you pay for. They simply cannot compete with Intel or Nvidia, despite making all sorts of cla ims to the contrary.

I think I've maybe had two total driver issues with Nvidia in the 4-5 years now that I've stuck with them that a simple rollback fixed right up. Fuck AMD.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #13
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I run AMD almost exclusively at home because they're a budget choice since I have to furnish cards for six gaming desktops. Too many damn kids!

But yeah, I don't really have any issues, except the occasional crossfire, game-specific bugs.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

AMD has better drivers, Nvidia has more power. I'm currently gluing two of them together and I'm going to try it out on my WindowsME build. I'll let you know.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Clancy
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
You seriously mentioned 100% proprietary closed source Mantle? The API the promised would be 'open' and available to everyone but to which is still 100% closed source and proprietary? Just because Khronos released a low level API that shares functionality with..... no...... every low level API made in the last half decade doesn't mean AMD had much of an influence.
LOL, what a shill.

Direct from Khronos's FAQ
Quote:
Mantle

How is Vulkan similar to Mantle -- what are the differences?

The impact of AMD's stepping forward and providing Mantle as a place to start was huge for the Vulkan working group. We probably would not be where we are today without them and we take off our hats to them (and their lawyers) for being willing to make that happen. The original proposal for Vulkan was basically a cleaned-up version of Mantle. AMD got the conversation really going, but over an 18-month period there have been contributions from a lot of the other members at Khronos as well. Some were small tweaks, and some really major features: render pass was never in Mantle, for example, yet it's a core part of Vulkan now. So there's an obvious heritage there, and if you have an experience with Mantle, I don't think you would have any trouble at all moving to Vulkan. Some of the API names are the same, and it's lived on there, but it is a significant update. There are some very significant differences and enhancements, and it's cross-vendor, cross-platform, so ... I think we've landed in a really good place. Overall Vulkan is truly a better API.
Yeah, AMD had nothing to do with it.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
There is one core difference between DirectX 11 and DirectX 12- one is a low level API that relies on coders to squeeze performance out of hardware. The other relies on the device driver to make the code work optimally. Take a look at any code running on both DX11 and DX12- one company does terrible when their drivers are responsible for performance seeing a massive boost when someone else handles it for them, the other tends to see the driver dependent code perform as well and even better.

We have a very real, very clear way to test the quality of drivers, and AMD's flat out suck.

Quote:
LOL, what a shill.
About what exactly?

Quote:
Direct from Khronos's FAQ
Johan Andersson wrote the low level stuff that Khronos still uses, he doesn't work for AMD, Aras P, Niklas S- neither of whom work for AMD and then a couple of guys from Valve fixed the dumb shit that was in Mantle.

AMD pays a lot of money to get their spin presented to the community a certain way. None of that impacts that Mantle was supposed to be 100% free and open source, it is still 100% closed and proprietary- AMD lies and re imagining of facts doesn't change any of that.

Some of the core Vulkan functionality was completely absent from Mantle, the low level stuff has largely been available on the consoles for many years now.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
Tree Squid
Squire

I've tried jumping in bed with AMD four times over the last ten years and the drivers have never changed. I've had to know way too much about their drivers then I should as a basic customer. Obviously deep down I want them to be successful hence the multiple times coming back around, but I don't think for the rest of my life I'll touch another AMD product. Great if it really has worked out for you in your situations, but from my experiences I doubt that is even a plausible scenario.
Tree Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, amd radeon rx vega