Last post by Emabulator
Today 08:48 AM
0 Replies, 173 Views

Old 06-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #61
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Rich Ross was responsible for Disney's multi-billion dollar Pirates of the Caribbean series, Alice in Wonderland and Toy Story 3 before losing his job after the high profile $300 million flop that was John Carter. He oversaw three of the highest grossing movies in history but was still fired and the planned John Carter of Mars trilogy canceled. Additionally, Rich Ross was celebrated as the first openly gay man to be chairman of Walt Disney Studios. Anyone can see holding up Kathleen Kennedy as a female icon responsible for movies that brought in billions for Disney followed by a gigantic flop costing hundreds of millions can and most likely will result in her replacement.
Ol Walt must be rolling in his grave over what a shitty progressive pushing shithole his company has become.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #62
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I thinks he's ok with it, didn't he steal Mickey mouse?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:15 AM   #63
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
77% down from last weekend. Promoting pan sexuality is such a great strategy guys. All those women and minorities flooding the theaters
Yeah...they actually didn't promote anything of the sort within the movie. It quite literally never comes into play, regardless of what the dude who touched up the script enough to garner a screenwriter credit says.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #64
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah...they actually didn't promote anything of the sort within the movie. It quite literally never comes into play, regardless of what the dude who touched up the script enough to garner a screenwriter credit says.
Or, you know... what the actor who actually played Lando had to say about the whole situation.

Donald Glover on Lando's sexuality in Solo: 'How can you not be pansexual in space?'

Quote:
“How can you not be pansexual in space?” responded Glover as Ehrenreich and Clarke expressed surprise at hearing the news for the first time. “There are so many things to have sex with. I didn’t think that was that weird. Yeah, he’s coming on to everybody. I mean, yeah, whatever. It just didn’t seem that weird to me ‘cause I feel like if you’re in space it’s kind of like, the door is open! It’s like, no, only guys or girls. No, it’s anything. This thing is literally a blob. Are you a man or a woman? Like, who cares? Have good time out here.”
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #65
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Or, you know... what the actor who actually played Lando had to say about the whole situation.

Donald Glover on Lando's sexuality in Solo: 'How can you not be pansexual in space?'
And yet it somehow never actually came up at all in the movie, regardless of what he used for his own personal motivation.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #66
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
And yet it somehow never actually came up at all in the movie, regardless of what he used for his own personal motivation.
Obviously, pushing a social agenda around a film has put the hurt on ticket sales. Or you can believe the bullshit on "Star Wars Fatigue".
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #67
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Obviously, pushing a social agenda around a film has put the hurt on ticket sales. Or you can believe the bullshit on "Star Wars Fatigue".
I think TLJ did more damage than Disney/Lucasfilm is willing to admit; it pretty much split the fanbase right down the middle. Ultimately, I think the fact that the film's troubled production being common knowledge had more to do with the lower ticket sales than anything else. Plus, there's simply no getting around the fact that it's ultimately just a serviceable movie. I enjoyed it well enough, but it's far from great and most of the reviews reflected this notion.

I don't think Infinity War, Star Wars fatigue, or the pansexuality of a character (something that never actually comes up throughout the entire film) really factored into things all that much.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #68
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
I think TLJ did more damage than Disney/Lucasfilm is willing to admit
They may not want to admit it but they sure better know it. They might have won some new fans but they lost some old ones and they're also not selling SW toys like they used to. (I believe this trend started before TLJ) Is it because boys are usually the ones that buy tie-in toy lines? The Bloomberg article mentions that Cars 3 toys didn't sell as well either and that was another movie where they took the male lead and pretty much bait and switched to make the female character the lead. And it's not about politics with kids. As a kid, I didn't know anything about PC culture and I would not have wanted to buy toys from girl characters. I might like the movie but I just wouldn't want the toys. I know my two boys still love Star Wars but they don't care about the toys anymore and the movies are fun for them but they'd much rather go back and re-watch the Clone Wars series on Netflix. We're still going to go see Solo as a family at some point but the only one who is actually kind of excited to see it is my wife.

*edit my post to correct some bad mistakes made by my fevered brain

Last edited by Chief Smash; 06-04-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #69
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Solo was dead before it was made. A movie nobody anticipated, especially after killing the character in TFA. There was no hook other than the name. It looked and sounded completely dull. Recasting so soon was fatal. Since it bombed on opening weekend there is a perception the movie is valueless and not worth the time. The audience has moved on. And I get the same sense from all of Star Wars lately. What's the hook for kids and adults? It's just so dull and humorless without any likeable people.

I think back to before Guardians of the Galaxy came out. Most people were very hesitant. Like maybe it was too weird and a flop seemed inevitable. Then it came out and had a number of things going for it. Color, humor, originality, and great characters tied together with favorite Chris Pratt that kids and adults love. Guardians of the Galaxy is more Star Wars than fucking Star Wars.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #70
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Color, humor, originality, and great characters tied together with favorite Chris Pratt that kids and adults love. Guardians of the Galaxy is more Star Wars than fucking Star Wars.
This, this, thisthisthisthisthis.

Star Wars seems to exist right now because Disney bought it and needs to monetize it. I have absolutely no excitement over the next Star Wars film. Where do they go with it? Do we see a rebuilding of the rebellion so that we can rehash the same tired battle lines over and over and over and over and over and over again?

I think they've mortally wounded the IP and almost need to junk what they've done after 9 is complete. Maybe go back to before Anakin and Luke. Perhaps to the founding of the Jedi or something.

Star Wars needs new creative life and direction.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #71
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
It didn't need to come up on the movie. The news surround it sure did a lot of good to it. I can't imagine a parent taking their kids to a movie showing a pansexual. Hey parents! this guy fucks her robot! bring your kids

The quality of the films have been lowering since the first Disney SW movie hit. How many times would you go to the same restaurant after they lower the quality? one time? twice? Guess for moviegoers it was two movies.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #72
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

I decided to not see Solo. Because TLJ was a truly awful movie and I'm not going to spend any more money on the franchise.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #73
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
It didn't need to come up on the movie. The news surround it sure did a lot of good to it.
It kinda does, because otherwise you're just dealing with a couple statements from a couple of interviews.

Quote:
I can't imagine a parent taking their kids to a movie showing a pansexual. Hey parents! this guy fucks her robot! bring your kids.
If it had any actual bearing on the plot or was actually brought up in anyway whatsoever, this would have some merit. Since it had no bearing on the plot and never came up at all during the course of the entire runtime, it's just more pointless outrage
Old 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #74
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Yup, pointless outrage that cost them money. And it's not even outrage, it's just people not wanting to find out if the dude (who was pretty cool in the OT) wants to fuck robots.

Also, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
I decided to not see Solo. Because TLJ was a truly awful movie and I'm not going to spend any more money on the franchise.
The quality of Solo has no bearing on people growing tired of this new Star Wars franchise. How many times do they have to serve you shit before you stop going to that restaurant?
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #75
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
It kinda does, because otherwise you're just dealing with a couple statements from a couple of interviews.

If it had any actual bearing on the plot or was actually brought up in anyway whatsoever, this would have some merit. Since it had no bearing on the plot and never came up at all during the course of the entire runtime, it's just more pointless outrage
I disagree. Star Wars isn't just a set of movies, it's a cultural phenomenon. The stuff that gets said outside of the movie does have a bearing on how people view the movie itself. It's why they were so militant about protecting the reputations of early Hollywood's stars and kept them on short leashes as part of their contracts. I can't find the actual instance but I remember Ewen McGregor getting dressed down a bit for saying something a little off color in an interview after he had already appeared in Episode 1. I believe it was something to the effect of "Kids are looking up to you now. Watch what you say." I'm not saying that these actors and writers can't say these things but they (and their superiors) have to be prepared for any backlash.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #76
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I disagree. Star Wars isn't just a set of movies, it WAS cultural phenomenon.
Its done dude.

I will watch the first 6 movies over and over for the rest of my life. But star wars is dead. Its fucking dead. I wont watch any of the new movies because they are NOT star wars. They are fan fiction. If you do watch the new ones, basically fuck you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5TGJquhP1s

2:40 This bitch knows, watch her put her hands under the desk. Over and over throughout history Lucas says. There is more going on here that we dont dont know about. This is not about Kathleen Kennedy.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #77
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Reports coming out all spinoff Star Wars films have been put on ice because of the disaster that was Solo. James Mangold's recently announced Bobo Fett? Not happening. Pre-New Hope Obi Wan? Forget it. Kathleen Kennedy's replacement will be announced in September.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #78
blackzc
Evil Dead

I think the franchise is dead.

Even if i didnt know it at the time...

Id always loved star wars because it was a separate from hollywood deal with a great story and a dirt cheap budget. It became became hollywood, it was the top dog without even trying to be.

Now its rubber stamp bullshit. The IP has been bought by merchants whos only goal is profit. Like me back then, the average person picks this up, even though it might take them decades to sort it out.

Star Wars was dead when Lucas sold it. Disney's money is only prolonging its death.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #79
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Reports coming out all spinoff Star Wars films have been put on ice because of the disaster that was Solo. James Mangold's recently announced Bobo Fett? Not happening. Pre-New Hope Obi Wan? Forget it. Kathleen Kennedy's replacement will be announced in September.
All good news. I can't stand watching them shit out many more of these turd nuggets.

Honestly, as I look back, there have been only two truly great SW films, #4 and #5 in the original trilogy.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 AM   #80
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

I think people took Glover’s words out of context.

“Pan sexual” is a dumb concept.

There are certain things that exist that nobody questions. But the internet being the internet creates subcultures that make up their own words and then use their made-up words to define things and catagorize things that don’t actually need to be catagorized.

Deadpool is a great example of this. Deadpool hits on men because Bugs Bunny hits on men. When comic writers of a certain age try to be funny, they invoke a Loony Tunes. Bugs Bunny hit on men because it was ironic and therefore comedic. The same goes for why he would dress in drag. Yet the subcultures come along and define Bugs Bunny as a cross dresser, a drag queen, a panse use and whatever other invented terms they can use to talk seriously about something that was never meant to be scrutinized. Deadpool, now, gets painted with that same brush. We have to read tons of articles about his “sexual identity” when it was just meant to be a gag.

What does this have to do with Lando?

I think the point that Glover was trying to make is that it’s been heavily implied since the dawn of space fiction that the men who explored space were having sex with women from different planets. Aliens. Captain Kirk did it. Buck Rogers did it. Peter Quill did it.

But if we’re being reasonable, it’s likely that not all of these aliens are going to be constructed in the same way human beings are. It’s not a given that all aliens are going to have two genders, or be gendered at all.

So the point Glover was making, I think, was a flippant joke about how Lando has lots of space sex with aliens. It’s the gender politics people who ran with it and tried to turn it into “Lando is gay”.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart