Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 02:29 PM
28 Replies, 1,760 Views

Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
altairvsezio
Knight

New Screens of Splinter Cell Blacklist

Quote:
A new batch of screenshots from Splinter Cell Blacklist has arrived, depicting Sam Fisher tackle on some militant-looking dudes in Ubisoft's multiplatform stealth-action title. The images point towards the mission playing out in a Middle-Eastern setting, with Sam infiltrating an enemy camp.
altairvsezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

I haven't cared about Splinter Cell since they decided to ditch all stealth aspects. That was the only reason I played.

Stop releasing new games and reminding me thereby that you decided I wasn't the kind of player you wanted to cater to. If everyone has to be Call of Duty to sell a game profitably, then the game industry is in trouble.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Ditch all stealth aspects? Only a few areas in Conviction you couldn't stealth through. They changed the gunplay a lot, but I think it makes it better for stealth play.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

Still, they changed it into an action game.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Splinter Cell without Michael Ironside voicing isn't Splinter Cell!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

And in my mind, the series leaked at Pandora Tomorrow. The longest I've ever played a game was with that title. 18 hours straight. That was my college days! OT though, there hasn't been a title since then that's had so much character and intensity online. Absolutely LOVED it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

the series *peaked

Old 07-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Gusj
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Ditch all stealth aspects? Only a few areas in Conviction you couldn't stealth through. They changed the gunplay a lot, but I think it makes it better for stealth play.
They didn't ditch all stealth, but they did remove everything that made stealthing fun and interesting (IMO).

The game is designed completely different from the previous games. In Chaos Theory (the only other one I've played) each level is a large area with several different paths to go. The players can utilize the light and sound mechanics to avoid confrontation. Killing guards is a viable strategy, but will lead to a bad end-of-the-level score. A ghost-run (leaving no evidence of any form) is only for the most seasoned and patient players.

Each level in Conviction on the other hand is built up by several smaller areas that the player have to deal with. These areas are almost like a puzzle game where the player finds the optimal way to get through the area without dying. There really is no benefit of trying to sneak past the guards, instead the game makes it extremely easy for players to kill everyone with easy headshots and Sam's automatic shooting move. Charging through to the next checkpoint with enemies after you will make them turn around on the spot and return to their duties, and the game even assumes you killed everyone if you turn back after dying.

I'll leave you with this nice screenshot from Conviction showing where their new focus is at.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
LoTECH
Evil Dead

I understood that this game is mixing the elements that worked in Conviction with the stealth stuff from the 1st through 3rd.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusj View Post
I'll leave you with this nice screenshot from Conviction showing where their new focus is at.
To be fair, that scene was a pre-Third Echelon memory, and was sorta out of place in respect to the rest of the game.

Played through a fair bit of Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory, and I did what I could with the godawful buggy port of Double Agent on PC, before the near constant crashes forced me to give it up. Conviction has been the only Splinter Cell game I bothered to beat. Might be because it was more linear/directed so I was more focused on progression, but I think the story telling was just more compelling and the character handling was more intuitive. Felt like I was fighting the game a lot less to do what I wanted it to, which might just be from the development progression. Didn't hurt that it was the only I bothered to tackle MP on too, that provided a great time.

Might not have the most sandbox areas, but I think it provides the most refined Splinter Cell experience of the series. The game near mastered control and presentation. They bring that level of control/presentation along with the heftier stealthy stuff from the first for Blacklist, and this could be one of the best games ever.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

*YAWN* Yet another lifeless sequel completely devoid of any innovation by Ubisoft.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

Worse than lifeless--completely dumbed-down.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Gusj
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Might not have the most sandbox areas, but I think it provides the most refined Splinter Cell experience of the series. The game near mastered control and presentation. They bring that level of control/presentation along with the heftier stealthy stuff from the first for Blacklist, and this could be one of the best games ever.
The story, at least in terms of presentation, is a step up from the older games - I won't deny that.

Now, the technical stuff I have a bit of a problem with. The PC port of Conviction might be one of the worst ports I've played in a while, with the FPS averaging at 15-20 on the lowest settings. I won't pretend I've got an amazing PC, but it's capable of running far more advanced games with higher settings. It should say something about the game engine when I get the exact same amount of FPS running in 1920x1080 as 640x480. Even a really high end rig struggles to keep the game running at a steady 60.

And the controls... The control scheme on PC is of course completely nonsensical with several actions mapped to the same key - as to be expected from a bare-bones PC-port. My biggest issue though is how they've tried to do contextual actions. To open a door in Chaos Theory you had to walk up to the door and hold down spacebar. This would bring up a list of the things that Sam could do to interact with it. This was a bit fiddly, but it worked.
They sort of brought it back in Conviction, but instead of a list the actions are changed depending on where the camera is pointing. This can lead to really awkward situations where Sam will crash through that window you were going to stealthily open because you accidentally moved the camera. I think the idea could be great, but the execution is far from good enough.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
Gusj
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Worse than lifeless--completely dumbed-down.
It's not lifeless. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in the game, but it's so different from the old Splinter Cell games that it should have been its own franchise. I think the game [Conviction] suffers because it's doing its own thing at the same time as trying to keep some of the old elements from SC 1-3. I guess Blacklist will "fix" that by going further away from the old games, but as I said I'd rather have this be a completely different franchise.

This actually made me think about the new Metal Gear game. Instead of calling it 'Metal Gear Solid: Something', they named it Metal Gear Rising, making it a separate series set in the same universe.