Anthem Legion of Dawn...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Yesterday 07:11 PM
10 Replies, 656 Views

Old 11-28-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Ultraman coming to Netflix

It's not live action but it still looks pretty good.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
actusoul
Evil Dead

Memories. One of my fondest childhood memories. I wish it was live action like the original but that would be too much to ask for. I have the entire series on DVD.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

This hit me with a bit of nostalgia even though my only exposure to Ultraman was Ultraman: Towards the Future for the SNES.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
Memories. One of my fondest childhood memories. I wish it was live action like the original but that would be too much to ask for. I have the entire series on DVD.
It's worth noting that this is based on the new manga, which has more in common with Iron Man and The Guyver than Ultraman.

There aren't any giant monsters in it, Ultraman doesn't grow to gigantic proportions, and the combat is more reminiscent of standard superhero/anime stuff.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
TheHulk
Evil Dead

I’d much rather have the original Speed Racer, Star Blazers, or Johnny Quest. I found the original Ultraman on DVD several years ago too. Still holds up pretty good. The opening is still awesome.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Who the hell is Ultraman? Lol
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
I’d much rather have the original Speed Racer, Star Blazers, or Johnny Quest. I found the original Ultraman on DVD several years ago too. Still holds up pretty good. The opening is still awesome.
All those shows I watched as a child.

Now I feel old. Especially when I watched these not as re-runs (do we still call them re-runs?)

Anyone remember Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot?
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Who the hell is Ultraman? Lol
He's the main character (through a number of iterations) of the Ultra Series, which has been in production since 1966.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
TheHulk
Evil Dead

Never heard of Johnny Sokko until recently. There’s a sci-fi/horror channel called Comet that shells Johnny Sokko early mornings. Haven’t tried to watch it yet.

Forgot about adding G Force to that early list. That was another afternoon show I watched a lot. And Space Giants maybe?
Old 11-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I saw one of the live action movies in the theater in Brooklyn when I was a kid. Not sure which one it was. It was the only Ultraman I've ever seen, but I remember it was great when I was like 8.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
Arionuq
Death Knight

All Star Blazers. Yeah I know it was really called Battleship Yamamoto in Japan but I still remember the dubbed version for the US. I can still hear the theme song for the show in my head. Man o man remake that and Robotech for me? I'll be in Heaven.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
TheHulk
Evil Dead

I saw a dvd in Best Buy of Star Blazers remake the other day. I think I may pick it up.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I saw one of the live action movies in the theater in Brooklyn when I was a kid. Not sure which one it was. It was the only Ultraman I've ever seen, but I remember it was great when I was like 8.
It used to play as a series on either tv 50 or 20 out of Detroit in the afternoon after school. Back in the '70's during elementary school. The shows they played around then were Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea etc.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #14
actusoul
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's worth noting that this is based on the new manga, which has more in common with Iron Man and The Guyver than Ultraman.

There aren't any giant monsters in it, Ultraman doesn't grow to gigantic proportions, and the combat is more reminiscent of standard superhero/anime stuff.
Thank you for the information. I will still check it out. I will find it interesting to see a new interpretation. I am used to huge monsters and ultraman becoming huge as well.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
actusoul
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionuq View Post
All Star Blazers. Yeah I know it was really called Battleship Yamamoto in Japan but I still remember the dubbed version for the US. I can still hear the theme song for the show in my head. Man o man remake that and Robotech for me? I'll be in Heaven.
STARBLAZERS!!! ROBOTECH!!! A remake would be great but I always hope they can tell a story that captures the charm of the originals.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 AM   #16
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
STARBLAZERS!!! ROBOTECH!!! A remake would be great but I always hope they can tell a story that captures the charm of the originals.
Isn't Robotech the same as Macross? There's a new Macross series every few years (7, Frontier, Delta...). Of course, nothing will ever come close to "Macross Plus". Even the (amazing) toys are constantly remade:

As for old TV, we Germans didn't have it anywhere as good as you kids in the Northern Americas. There were a couple of shows like "Captain Future", but very little in the way of toy-tie-ins - "Masters of the Universe" might have been the big exception, but that too only aired during the big privatization wave in the late 80s/early 90s, if memory serves. After that, of course, we got swamped with everything from the "Power Rangers" to "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends".
Old 11-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Isn't Robotech the same as Macross? There's a new Macross series every few years (7, Frontier, Delta...). Of course, nothing will ever come close to "Macross Plus". Even the (amazing) toys are constantly remade:
I will not pretend to be an expert, but my understanding is that Macross is the Japanese name for the US series we call Robotech. Robotech itself was three different Japanese series that were bundled together by Harmony Gold in the US into one package.

Only the first series got more movies and series, called Macross to this day.

Love the art and the Mecha, but I've never watched much beyond the 3 US series.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Isn't Robotech the same as Macross? There's a new Macross series every few years (7, Frontier, Delta...). Of course, nothing will ever come close to "Macross Plus".
Macross is Robotech, but Robotech isn't Macross.

Robotech is the result of Harmony Gold mashing three unrelated anime series (two of which were from the Super Dimension brand) together and treating them as a series. The first - and most well known - part of Robotech was the first, which was the adapted version of Macross. They also hacked together Super Dimension Southern Cross (technically part of the same brand as Super Dimension Fortress Macross, but none of those series were actually related to each other) and Genesis Climber Mospeda as the second and third "generations" of Robotech.

It's sorta like how Voltron is unique to the US; World Events Productions took three unrelated series and hacked them together as Voltron. The most well-known part - Lion Force Voltron - was based on Beast King GoLion. They turned Armored Fleet Dairugger XV into the Vehicle Fleet Voltron, and the third part (Gladiator Voltron) never actually aired. It was supposed to be based on a show called Lightspeed Electroid Albegas, but all they did was release the toy.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
That was truly terrible. Just...terrible.

I'll watch another episode tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #20
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

I find this very disappointing. It might very well be good but it doesn't fit with my (admittedly very limited) Ultraman nostalgia.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote