Last post by Azzy
Yesterday 09:40 PM
4 Replies, 190 Views

Old 01-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #41
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Why do you keep coming back but for the fight you know's waiting for you? This conversation stopped being about KOTOR a long time ago. A consequence of your actions.
I'm not the one who said I was "done" with the thread and came back to it when people were still talking about TBS games.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #42
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
I was at PAX this year, tabletop gaming and D&D are still going strong for people of all ages. I view those fans as a niche / minority. If you still like it, great. But I don't think you could sell a game using that system *today* and expect to achieve the kind of sales figures that EA wants to achieve.

It'd be like making a live-action Batman TV show but styling like the Adam West series from the 60s (actually, they did that as a Direct-To-Video cartoon). I am sure there are still fans of that series alive today, and they'd watch it, but most people would be turned off or find it silly, a nostalgic curiosity at best. Anyone unfamiliar with it would more likely than not find it bizarre and unapproachable. Or worth turning into memes on Reddit.

https://steamspy.com/app/632470

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/disco-elysium
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #43
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I'm not the one who said I was "done" with the thread and came back to it when people were still talking about TBS games.
You're right, I walk away and come back to finding how much joy you took in the opportunity to spit on someone when they turn their back.

What's your point? It's Evil Avatar man, you can write anything on here and not mean it if it's all a game to trigger the other person. Who cares?

You of all people know that. Get the fuck out of here with your indignation.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #44
RAV
Evil Dead

If any of you wanna try JA2, it's currently on sale on GoG for 1.99, which is an impulse buy for sure. What I also love about these old games is how small they are and how fast they download and install, which also makes it an impulse to just try.

There is an extensive mod that improves the game further. Description and Download.

The game is good even without the mod, but the mod does give a bit higher resolutions and slightly better UI and AI and a bunch of other improvements to the game. There is probably other mods for content but I haven't tried yet.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #45
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You're right, I walk away and come back to finding how much joy you took in the opportunity to spit on someone when they turn their back.

What's your point? It's Evil Avatar man, you can write anything on here and not mean it if it's all a game to trigger the other person. Who cares?

You of all people know that. Get the fuck out of here with your indignation.
Gaming With Attitude, perhaps Kotaku or RPS is more your style, since both sites are chalk full of pretentious regressive twats like yourself.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #46
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Hey thanks for that, hadn't even heard of this game and it looks pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
If any of you wanna try JA2, it's currently on sale on GoG for 1.99, which is an impulse buy for sure. What I also love about these old games is how small they are and how fast they download and install, which also makes it an impulse to just try.

There is an extensive mod that improves the game further. Description and Download.

The game is good even without the mod, but the mod does give a bit higher resolutions and slightly better UI and AI and a bunch of other improvements to the game. There is probably other mods for content but I haven't tried yet.
For 2 bucks? Why not? Thanks for providing a widescreen mod as well Rav.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #47
RAV
Evil Dead

But if you really can't get into old pixely turn based games, I also have to tell you that right now Styx and its expansion is on sale on GoG as well. It's inspired by the Thief series, which I also were fond of. It may not be turn based but action 3rd person, though it's a much slower paced experience in which you plan your moves. Looks awesome.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #48
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
But if you really can't get into old pixely turn based games, I also have to tell you that right now Styx and its expansion is on sale on GoG as well. It's inspired by the Thief series, which I also were fond of. It may not be turn based but action 3rd person, though it's a much slower paced experience in which you plan your moves. Looks awesome.
Tried Styx when it first came out, just didn't like it for whatever reason.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #49
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I was at PAX this year, tabletop gaming and D&D are still going strong for people of all ages. I view those fans as a niche / minority. If you still like it, great. But I don't think you could sell a game using that system *today* and expect to achieve the kind of sales figures that EA wants to achieve.
Thanks to 5th edition, and live streaming shows like Critical Role, Maze Arcana, Dice Camera Action, Acquisitions Inc, Force Grey and others. Plus shows like Community, Stranger Things, The I.T. Crowd, That 70's Show and Big Bang Theory. D&D is at an all time sales high with double digit sales growth for the past 5 years. It's probably more main stream now than it ever has been.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #50
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Gaming With Attitude, perhaps Kotaku or RPS is more your style, since both sites are chalk full of pretentious regressive twats like yourself.
Those jabs are as old and tired as you are, and using the same one in the same thread no less. You got anything new up your sleeve besides repeating the same lügenpresse enough times to make other people think it's truth? Some low effort dogshit, that.

With Attitude my ass. More like Mit Faschisten. The 1980s called, the Ninja Turtles want their term back.

Oh hell, my bad, I didn't see your permit for all those emotional support labels. But in all seriousness, how are your fee-fees holding up? Do you need a turn to collect yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
D&D is at an all time sales high with double digit sales growth for the past 5 years. It's probably more main stream now than it ever has been.
Happy to hear they are doing well and enjoy strong community support. That's what I saw at PAX. I should restate more accurately that I don't *care* for D&D, meaning I'm neutral on it. God forbid someone says something to end a conversation but gets torn apart like a lawyer looking for a loophole to win a case.

There is a hardcore following, always will be, and there's no problem with that. Same with tabletop and other genres. People do good business off it. More power to them.

To bring this back full circle, and to clarify earlier statements that likely got lost in the torrent of shit, I don't see a KOTOR game being made today off that framework from 2003 -- that is, not each individual part that made up the game, because it'd be stupid and silly to say that any one element of it is outdated or bad, but the sum total of those design choices.

I think that's true no matter how offended some ignoramus, diehard purists get when someone says something they interpret as hurting their baby. If they want to bring KOTOR into the contemporary canon, I see them looking to Mass Effect or Fallout 3+.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #51
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

I find it hilarious that you came into a thread about a game that uses a D&D dice system to essentially say that type of game sucks, then compared it to real time combat as though the two are the same thing, and got asshurt when called on it. And you wonder why I call you a pretentious twat.

Tags
old republic, star wars