A small request
Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 08:52 PM
16 Replies, 551 Views

Old 07-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Guess what?

Peach gives out more than a "Hey, thanks" when you finish the castle.

You'll reconsider getting kidnapped now bitch.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
To me, games like these are made to fail. Sure, it's Mario, so it will be amazing, right? I don't think so, personally. Nothing with "Maker" in it has really ever been good. Once you put all the time into "making" something, are you really going to want to play it (at least for something as simple as a platformer), especially considering you already have all the knowledge of what you made? The real fun will be sharing and playing others' creations, but even that will probably be a jumbled mess where you have to really dig to find the gems.

The concept of "making" your own game just poses too many issues. I could be wrong but I don't expect this to change just because it's going to be Mario.
This model certainly didn't work at all for LittleBigPlanet.

Nope, not one bit. That series failed miserably.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #23
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

Slight difference. And I did say games with "Maker" in the title, didn't I?
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #24
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:

Or Minecraft, or Trackmania, or Unreal Tournament, The Elder Scrolls, Civilization....
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #25
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Or Minecraft, or Trackmania, or Unreal Tournament, The Elder Scrolls, Civilization....
Clearly what I actually said didn't quite reach everyone's comprehension.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Slight difference. And I did say games with "Maker" in the title, didn't I?
-Points made in between-

Quote:
RPG Maker. Been around for 23 years and is more popular now then it ever was in the 90s, and lacks the name power and marketing that the Nintendo and Mario brand bring with itself. Also, I don't know that having the word "maker" in the title or not having it is a deciding factor in a video game's success.

It's also much more accessible (drag and drop assets), and more specific in what you're doing. You're not making something general like an "RPG", you're making a Mario game....maybe the most iconic and recognizable game in video game history.

Even with the Nintendo Wii U's terrible install base, I'd bet money here and now on it selling a million+ copies faster then anything else that month, including all multi-plats. I'll actually go a step further and predict the only game this year that rivals it for G.O.T.Y. (in a general consensus sort of way) will be MGS, which will be doubly-impressive considering most of the casuals hate Nintendo, except for die hard Nintendo fans, which is the only thing the masses hate more then Nintendo itself. My 12 year old nephew hates Nintendo. He says the console is kiddie. Hehehe. You guys playin' the same grown up games as my 12 year old nephew?! Sweet

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 07-14-2015 at 05:17 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #27
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

DID Little Big Planet succeed?

From my experience, personally, and from what I have read, those games pretty much succeeded on hype more than anything. Not unlike Killzone, i don't recall people really reporting having fun with the game. It more just seemed like everyone was always looking to the next one to finally fulfill the hype of what it was "supposed" to be.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #28
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
-Points made in between-

RPG Maker. Been around for 23 years and is more popular now then it ever was in the 90s, and lacks the name power and marketing that the Nintendo and Mario brand bring with itself. Also, I don't know that having the word "maker" in the title or not having it is a deciding factor in a video game's success.

It's also much more accessible (drag and drop assets), and more specific in what you're doing. You're not making something general like an "RPG", you're making a Mario game....maybe the most iconic and recognizable game in video game history.

Even with the Nintendo Wii U's terrible install base, I'd bet money here and now on it selling a million+ copies faster then anything else that month, including all multi-plats. I'll actually go a step further and predict the only game this year that rivals it for G.O.T.Y. (in a general consensus sort of way) will be MGS, which will be doubly-impressive considering most of the casuals hate Nintendo, except for die hard Nintendo fans, which is the only thing the masses hate more then Nintendo itself. My 12 year old nephew hates Nintendo. He says the console is kiddie. Hehehe. You guys playin' the same grown up games as my 12 year old nephew?! Sweet
I'll fess up and admit I had no idea that series still existed. The only titles I was aware that were made (long time ago) were atrocious.

But while I can acknowledge your point, Mario is about as simplistic a formula as there is. I still doubt it will be that engrossing or entertaining, but that's just me.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #29
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I'll fess up and admit I had no idea that series still existed. The only titles I was aware that were made (long time ago) were atrocious.

But while I can acknowledge your point, Mario is about as simplistic a formula as there is. I still doubt it will be that engrossing or entertaining, but that's just me.
Well, Mario games are fairly basic in premise and control, this is true. I'd argue there's a bit more hand-eye required then candy crush. The accessibility is a positive though in my opinion. This will be something my wife will actually get into. She'll be making ridiculous maps to piss me off/challenge me, and vise versa. I couldn't get her to play a complex shooter or anything. It being an intuitive creating mechanism means I can make challenging maps quickly and share them with friends and relatives, and they can do the same. I could see putting a LOT of time into this. It all comes down to taste though, I know. Some people will no doubt find creating/playing different Mario maps/games boring. I still got a hunch it'll do quite well, but we'll see. I could be wrong. I'm also an idiot who thinks the Wii U is a great system with some useful features and a nice chunk of stellar original exclusives worth owning. I don't have a whole lot of support from gamers on that.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #30
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
LOL! Hey, PSPP, remember?

Quote:
You never concede smoothly, do you?
Dude, you dig more than the road crew on my street, and they're laying serious pipes! I'll say the same thing I said when I saw them at work: 'Shit, man!'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic con, mario maker, nintendo, super mario maker, wii u