Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 11:58 AM
16 Replies, 571 Views
Destiny 2 Gambit's Free...
Last post by brandonjclark
Today 11:30 AM
2 Replies, 278 Views
Phoenix Wright: Ace...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 11:05 AM
1 Replies, 212 Views
Capcom Shutters Dead...
Last post by MadMurdock_0311
Today 10:37 AM
8 Replies, 874 Views
Warface PlayStation 4...
Last post by Major Dan
Today 10:24 AM
2 Replies, 410 Views
Star Control: Origins...
Last post by Major Dan
Today 10:23 AM
5 Replies, 540 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Major Dan
Today 10:19 AM
3 Replies, 296 Views
Call of Cthulhu -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 08:48 AM
0 Replies, 284 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #41
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
The last console I bought was a 360. I'm not qualified to really have an opinion on this.

....
...
..
.









.
..
...
....

But that won't stop me. The Wii U would've been more successful named the Wii 2, and whoever didn't see that should be fed a steady diet of bugs. Nintendo could've done more marketing as well. I rarely if ever see a Nintendo ad for anything.

Also, I think the next console (NX) will be pretty much more of the same, because Nintendo truly believes that it's not hardware but gameplay that sells.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's a complete story. Hardware allows better visuals, and we are some shallow mofos today. How many games do you blow off because it's an idie top-top down or sidescroller?
Most if not all of them.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #42
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
When that margin of difference hit's zero, they won't have a product.
I completely disagree. People buy consoles in droves now even though they have inferior hardware to PCs. If the consoles reach hardware parity with a PC, logic dictates MORE people will buy consoles, not less.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #43
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I completely disagree. People buy consoles in droves now even though they have inferior hardware to PCs. If the consoles reach hardware parity with a PC, logic dictates MORE people will buy consoles, not less.
You're missing the point. There wont be a such thing as consoles. They will be PCs, fully and entirely. Steam is already working on closing the gap. "Console" wont be a product because there will be no distinguishing characteristic.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #44
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It's not an age thing persay, it's a taste thing, some people rather play games that have a more serious theme or scenarios, or more mature themes. Sorry jumping on Goombas just doesn't do it for me like it did 20 years ago.
That's the joke. "Mature themes"? How are you getting anything more out of Mortal Kombat then you were at age 12? What mature theme do you now appreciate as an adult, that you didn't as a child? Theres nothing mature about it.

I played games like that when I was 11 and 12, and they still don't offer anything deeper or more enriching to me as an adult.

They don't relate to any theme or topic I've encountered in adulthood at all.

Where does CoD understand the mental challenge of coping with the daily work grind? Where does Batman or Witcher or Mortal Kombat help me with the stresses of trying to be the best possible father I can be? Role playing as a ladies man, sword wielding warlock in Witcher is exactly the same kind of material I would have gotten into when i was 12.

If these are "mature" themes for anyone - holy shit - late bloomer.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #45
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
That's the joke. "Mature themes"? How are you getting anything more out of Mortal Kombat then you were at age 12? What mature theme do you now appreciate as an adult, that you didn't as a child? Theres nothing mature about it.

I played games like that when I was 11 and 12, and they still don't offer anything deeper or more enriching to me as an adult.

They don't relate to any theme or topic I've encountered in adulthood at all.

Where does CoD understand the mental challenge of coping with the daily work grind? Where does Batman or Witcher or Mortal Kombat help me with the stresses of trying to be the best possible father I can be? Role playing as a ladies man, sword wielding warlock in Witcher is exactly the same kind of material I would have gotten into when i was 12.

If these are "mature" themes for anyone - holy shit - late bloomer.
Actual plots and story lines with the feeling of progression. I don't feel I get that out of Nintendo games beyond save princess Zelda or Stomp on Goomba #1004302033.

When I play something like Mech Warrior, the fights have meaning, we're taking territory over for example. When I play something like a Fallout or Pillars of Eternity, my character gains new abilities, solves actual quests and plot lines etc. Basically you feel like your time investment has an actual point to it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #46
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,872
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post

Unfortunately, I don't think that's a complete story. Hardware allows better visuals, and we are some shallow mofos today. How many games do you blow off because it's an idie top-top down or sidescroller?
I'd say the majority of the games I buy these days are indie top-down or sidescrolling games. Easily.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #47
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I'd say the majority of the games I buy these days are indie top-down or sidescrolling games. Easily.
Yeah, but you've been known to play Clicker Heroes for like, how many hours?

__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #48
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,872
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Yeah, but you've been known to play Clicker Heroes for like, how many hours?

I don't play it, i just leave it open all the time. It's what's going on when my computer is idle.

I've mostly been playing my PS3 or 3DS lately. Clicker Heroes is just something that I check up on once every few hours.

It's also a terrible, terrible, terrible thing that I suggest you never, ever start.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #49
brandonjclark
Subscriber
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I don't play it, i just leave it open all the time. It's what's going on when my computer is idle.

I've mostly been playing my PS3 or 3DS lately. Clicker Heroes is just something that I check up on once every few hours.

It's also a terrible, terrible, terrible thing that I suggest you never, ever start.
Do you have some bot running?
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #50
Syl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 6,872
Blog Entries: 2
It's an idle game. It sorta plays itself. I just step in every now and then to level up the heroes or do the...
NEVER PLAY THE GAME. THAT'S THE IMPORTANT THING. NEVER START IT, NEVER FIGURE OUT HOW IT WORKS.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #51
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,628
I had a secondary computer using an autoclicker program for Clicker Heroes. I probably logged 600 hours of offline play Just checked up on it once in a while to level up my characters.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #52
Venkman
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Why would a gamer who no longer has interest in Mario, Zelda, or Metroid feel the need to buy one though? That's kinda a silly thing to say imo.
Yeah, but no Metroid is coming any time soon and I wouldn't be surprised if the next Zelda is like Twilight Princess: On the current system and the next gen from Nintendo.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #53
Venkman
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
If these are "mature" themes for anyone - holy shit - late bloomer.
You've seen these forums, right?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #54
Anemone
Evil Dead
 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Autarchist
Posts: 6,092
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
It's an idle game. It sorta plays itself. I just step in every now and then to level up the heroes or do the...
NEVER PLAY THE GAME. THAT'S THE IMPORTANT THING. NEVER START IT, NEVER FIGURE OUT HOW IT WORKS.
I eventually "beat" Cookieclicker and walked away, how bad could it be.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #55
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,510
The term "mature" in games is sometimes like calling porn "adult movies." It rarely gives any indication of the level of sophistication. But to each his own. In my view, Nintendo is like the Pixar of the gaming world. If you can't by the cute graphics and family friendly characters then that's fine. I think you're missing out but I'm not going to harangue you for it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #56
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead
 
Capt_Thad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
The term "mature" in games is sometimes like calling porn "adult movies." It rarely gives any indication of the level of sophistication.
Yeah, it's an empty term. Can mean a thousand different entirely vague--and often conflicting--things. Is Cities: Skylines mature, because it involves math and strategic design, or not mature because it isn't centered around violence or sex? Likewise, is Bulletstorm (which I still think is a fantastic game) mature on account of violent and sexual themes, or immature on account of its childish abuse of those themes?

DKC: Tropical Freeze is a very difficult platformer (much more difficult than Bulletstorm, though entirely different genre), with a great deal of level depth for gamers to explore. It's definitely very mature in core design--adult gamers looking for a solid challenge should find it very rewarding--even if it's not 'adult-only' in visual theme. Does that make it an immature game?

It's kinda like the whole 'hardcore vs casual' thing. The terms can mean any number of things (time played, familiarity with previous content or genre, willingness to invest in hardware, willingness to embrace grind or punishment from poor design, etc and so forth), but usually just get used as a general buzzword statement to drive a point without any real weight. In the end, it doesn't really mean anything at all.
__________________
NNID/GfWL: CaptThad - Raptr - Steam ID
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #57
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Yeah, it's an empty term. Can mean a thousand different entirely vague--and often conflicting--things. Is Cities: Skylines mature, because it involves math and strategic design, or not mature because it isn't centered around violence or sex? Likewise, is Bulletstorm (which I still think is a fantastic game) mature on account of violent and sexual themes, or immature on account of its childish abuse of those themes?

DKC: Tropical Freeze is a very difficult platformer (much more difficult than Bulletstorm, though entirely different genre), with a great deal of level depth for gamers to explore. It's definitely very mature in core design--adult gamers looking for a solid challenge should find it very rewarding--even if it's not 'adult-only' in visual theme. Does that make it an immature game?

It's kinda like the whole 'hardcore vs casual' thing. The terms can mean any number of things (time played, familiarity with previous content or genre, willingness to invest in hardware, willingness to embrace grind or punishment from poor design, etc and so forth), but usually just get used as a general buzzword statement to drive a point without any real weight. In the end, it doesn't really mean anything at all.
When I say mature, I mean mechanics, story, and a more serious theme. Doing mario platforming or kart racing does zero for me on an entertainment level at all, I grew out of that being interesting many years ago, never mind that most of the titles on the NES were all platformers due to the tech at the time. Different strokes and all that.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nintendo, wii u

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM.