Today 02:15 PM
2 Replies, 338 Views

Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Dark Souls Creator Planning to Launch "Several New Projects" #DarkSouls3

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Dark Souls 3 is the "turning point" in the franchise and will pave the way for something new, according to series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Speaking in an interview with GameSpot, Miyazaki was asked if he has given any thought to expanding the Souls series beyond fantasy and into other genres such as sci-fi.

"Dark Souls is my lifeís work," he replied. "Everything I came up with for Dark Souls 3 is based on my personal preferences. However, Dark Souls 3 is also actually the turning point for the franchise."

Pressed on whether he would explore the sci-fi or mech genres, perhaps by applying the Souls framework to them, Miyazaki said he "definitely wants to bring the Miyazaki Touch" to them.

Miyazaki, who previously served in directorial and design capacities on Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, was appointed president of developer From Software in May 2014.

As part of his remit as president, Miyazaki intends to launch "several new projects," but didn't specify what these would be.

"I do want to work on something new," he added. "Iím pleased to hear people are interested in seeing that."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Anenome
Autarchist

I love how this series, once thought too good, too niche, too focused on hardcore gamers to ever become big, has bloomed into a goddamn institution! Go Miyazaki! Change the world!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I find it kind of frustrating/annoying that instead of saying, "can you bring your game philosophies to ohter genre's or create new genres from your imagination?" People are like, "Can you make Dark Souls look Sci Fi?"

It's a depressing lack of creativity and expectation of creativity that the industry has these days. I miss the days when a sequel could be something completely different than the previous game.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I find it kind of frustrating/annoying that instead of saying, "can you bring your game philosophies to ohter genre's or create new genres from your imagination?" People are like, "Can you make Dark Souls look Sci Fi?"

It's a depressing lack of creativity and expectation of creativity that the industry has these days. I miss the days when a sequel could be something completely different than the previous game.
Oh I dunno, it's easy to imagine the Dark Souls/Bloodborne approach to something like Dead Space -- that's pretty close already to a Souls title in theme and scope.

I think a Star Wars game focused on action/adventure would be better than most SW games have been, have just one Jedi wandering with a lightsaber through swamps or the like for w/e reason. That would look pretty Soulsish and could be fantastic gameplay-wise.

I'm not sure if Miyazaki would want to adapt his combat system to guns. So if we think tech, we could imagine battlbots with a similar combat style.

And of course, From Software has a famous history of robot combat. Armored Core is how they got famous, and I enjoyed that effort immensely back in the day.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

I LOVED Armored Core back in the day. Great stuff!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
unleashbass
Reaper

Mmmm, I think it could work in other genre's. As stated above, Starwars lightsaber, having an obvious similarity to Darks Souls swords play etc. But, Mech's? or Gun's? I can't, personally, see how that would work. It doesn't require a great deal of stamina to fire a gun and that's essentially what the Souls games do. Stamina management.
Still interesting to see where he will take it.
unleashbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Anemone
Evil Dead

You could probably do it with magic and mages, stamina being replenishable magic power. That would be pretty cool.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

He has a unique perspective on game designing so I'm up for anything he rolls out.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark souls, dark souls 3, from software