George R.R. Martin's...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 05:40 PM
12 Replies, 1,067 Views

Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Star Fox Zero Preview #StarFoxZero #Nintendo #WiiU

Shacknews has posted a hands-on preview of Star Fox Zero for the Wii U.

Quote:
A recent trend in Nintendo first-party games has seen the Wii U GamePad's gyroscope used for aiming through a first-person perspective. The most recent game to utilize an idea like this to great effect has been the ink shooter, Splatoon, and Star Fox Zero is looking to use the same gyroscopic controls to shoot directly from the Arwing's cockpit. The trouble is that what works for a third-person shooter doesn't feel intuitive for a rail shooter.

Star Fox Zero's demo tours the old series stomping grounds of Corneria, with the first part of the level structured to be nearly identical to the classic Star Fox 64 stage. The aiming controls take some getting used to, which is why using a level that fans are familiar with is a wise move. As a tutorial stage, it does a fair job of introducing the new shooting mechanics.

However, it's All-Range Mode, where the controls take a complete nosedive. Put simply, it feels like two sets of eyes are required to make any headway with Zero's dogfighting. Never was this more evident than with parasitic drones that were invading General Pepper's base in Corneria. The drones had a weak spot at the very top of their bodies, requiring precision aiming with the GamePad. That's fine in itself, as I was eventually able to slam on the brake and wrestle with the finicky gyroscopic aim. And I even got some shots off… right before slamming into a wall. The idea of struggling with the GamePad controls sounds like a frustrating one when there's potentially a lot of action to follow on the main screen. And given that Platinum Games has been brought in for development duties, there will more than likely be a lot happening in later stages. Peppy has always urged Fox to trust his instincts and this control scheme may require that more than ever.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Not only did they slag the game in a Preview, incredibly rare, they picked the UGLIEST screenshot this side a Gamecube title.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Not only did they slag the game in a Preview, incredibly rare, they picked the UGLIEST screenshot this side a Gamecube title.
Left wing SJW agenda runs deep. Trying to make conservitive Nintendo look bad. If you visit these sites at this point you are part of the problem. Why are you visiting these sights Rommel? And did you get the pic i asked you for?

Nintendo also needs to get rid of the massive SJW hipster gimmick they have at NOA in Seattle.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Left wing SJW agenda runs deep. Trying to make conservitive Nintendo look bad. If you visit these sites at this point you are part of the problem. Why are you visiting these sights Rommel? And did you get the pic i asked you for?

Nintendo also needs to get rid of the massive SJW hipster gimmick they have at NOA in Seattle.
Yah, you can look at much more recent footage to begin to wonder why anyone is showing early alpha screens still.

I also resent the SJW hipster vibe NOA presents, but it makes sense that they don't have a goatee-d bro-force Youtuber with prog metal in the background doing any of their PR. They are family friendly.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
but it makes sense that they don't have a goatee-d bro-force Youtuber with prog metal in the background doing any of their PR. They are family friendly.
LOL, bro force.

Metal Jesus Rocks, hes the spokesman Nintendo needs.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah, you can look at much more recent footage to begin to wonder why anyone is showing early alpha screens still.

I also resent the SJW hipster vibe NOA presents, but it makes sense that they don't have a goatee-d bro-force Youtuber with prog metal in the background doing any of their PR. They are family friendly.
Nintendo is also one of those companies that benefits from appearing trendy hence the hipster vibe. Hipsters are a pretty big part of their fan base so it pays to cater to them a bit.

As for the game, it doesn't sound great. The game certainly looks more polished than it was at E3 but if the control scheme is bad then what can you do? Of course, Splatoon's default control scheme sucks pretty bad in my opinion and it's easily remedied by turning the motion controls off so I guess there's some hope.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Of course, Splatoon's default control scheme sucks pretty bad in my opinion and it's easily remedied by turning the motion controls off so I guess there's some hope.
I think it'll be more of the same with this. They made it optional in Splatoon I'm sure because they realize not everyone enjoys it. Though some Splatooners swear by it. Not my thing, though.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Nintendo is also one of those companies that benefits from appearing trendy hence the hipster vibe. Hipsters are a pretty big part of their fan base so it pays to cater to them a bit.

As for the game, it doesn't sound great. The game certainly looks more polished than it was at E3 but if the control scheme is bad then what can you do? Of course, Splatoon's default control scheme sucks pretty bad in my opinion and it's easily remedied by turning the motion controls off so I guess there's some hope.
"control" is a loose term that doesn't really mean much, quantitatively. I'm sure there are people who would have said that Dance Dance Revolution doesn't "control well" because you have to stand up and move while you play it.

Different controls are the draw to games like Star Fox. I can understand not liking a game if you don't like it's control method, but it's not Nintendo's fault for not providing alternatives. They didn't want to. The is the way it is.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Splatoon's motion controls took a little getting used to, but they're the closest I've ever experienced to mouse aiming without using a mouse. Well worth the effort to learn. Don't think I'd like it half as much with thumbstick aiming, but I'm not very big on thumbstick aiming in general.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:08 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
Splatoon's motion controls took a little getting used to, but they're the closest I've ever experienced to mouse aiming without using a mouse. Well worth the effort to learn. Don't think I'd like it half as much with thumbstick aiming, but I'm not very big on thumbstick aiming in general.
Ah well I have to admit that I read in a review that the motion controls were bad and I tried these controls for about 30 seconds before turning them off so I certainly can't say that I gave them a fair shake. So perhaps I spoke to soon with regards to Starfox.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #11
gillman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
"control" is a loose term that doesn't really mean much, quantitatively. I'm sure there are people who would have said that Dance Dance Revolution doesn't "control well" because you have to stand up and move while you play it.
Pretty sure Nintendo learned their lesson with Kid Icarus about not giving people control options. I still remember my complete joy when I saw it supported the franken-stick, which I owned, followed by disbelief filled rage when they said it was only to enable left handed support of the game.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Star Fox has been traditionally on on-rails shooter, then morphed into later iterations with more open arena combat. The core audience is used to not having to rely on motion controls, particularly controls that split their vision.

This game went from a "can't wait to GameFly it to and buy it if I like it" to "not going to bother at all". My gaming setup is on a large projection display where the bottom of my screen is eye level. This configuration makes it very difficult to play games that require using simultaneous displays as part of the core gameplay, so I am going to have to do a complete pass on this title.

Quote:
Different controls are the draw to games like Star Fox. I can understand not liking a game if you don't like it's control method, but it's not Nintendo's fault for not providing alternatives. They didn't want to. The is the way it is.
Really, it is their fault. They could have decided to include traditional controls. Look at Child of Light that allows for motion and gamepad controls, or Bayonetta that allows for gamepad and touchscreen controls. Again, Star Fox has been traditionally an on rails shooter, and it makes most sense to play these type of games witch a fixed camera as you need to be able to out shoot and out maneuver the shit that is flying at and around you.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy

Sit on a phone book if you're too low for the screen you oompa loompa cocksucker. I'm saying you're an oompa loompa who sucks cocks, not a cocksucker of oompa loompas. You may suck oompa loompa cock, either in addition to the others or exclusively, but my comment is focused on you being an oompa loompa yourself. An oompa loompa that sucks dick.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Sit on a phone book if you're too low for the screen you oompa loompa cocksucker. I'm saying you're an oompa loompa who sucks cocks, not a cocksucker of oompa loompas. You may suck oompa loompa cock, either in addition to the others or exclusively, but my comment is focused on you being an oompa loompa yourself. An oompa loompa that sucks dick.
Yah, I don't know...I like what he^ said about dicks.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Do a barrel roll.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
Do a barrel roll.
So you have to use the gamepad for certain levels? Ugh, i dunno man. I dont play splatoon because of the controls. Yes you can turn it off but the game is built around motion and regular controls do not work either.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
So you have to use the gamepad for certain levels? Ugh, i dunno man. I dont play splatoon because of the controls. Yes you can turn it off but the game is built around motion and regular controls do not work either.
Which now? As you said, you can turn the motion controls off, you'll be at no disadvantage in Splatoon. Not sure I get the argument there as it seems to just be a preference thing for that game.

Tags
nintendo, star fox zero, wii u