7 Replies, 687 Views
Far Cry 5 and Assassin’s...
Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 03:50 PM
0 Replies, 432 Views

Old 02-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Wii U Sales Pass 12 Million, 3DS Hits 57.94 Million, Amiibo at 20.5 Million #Nintendo

IGN has the story.

Quote:
Nintendo’s Q3 financials reveal Wii U hardware sales are up and amiibo are selling exceptionally well.

As of December 31, 2015, 12.6 million Wii U units have been sold, an increase from Q2’s total of 10.73 million. The uptick in hardware sales could be attributed to strong numbers from Splatoon, which has sold 4.06 million since it launched last May. Super Mario Maker has sold 3.34 million units since its release last September.

Nintendo has also reported 20.5 million amiibo figures have been sold, as well as 21.5 million amiibo cards. Sales figures of amiibo were not reported in Q2 but sales were considered “robust”.

Mario Kart 8 continues to perform well, with another 1.37 million units sold, bringing its total up to 7.24 million.

3DS sales have also trended upwards as the handheld sold 3.6 million more units in Q3, bringing lifetime sales of the handheld to 57.94 million. Lifetime sales of the 3DS software are now at 264.53 million units, maintaining an average of four or five games owned per 3DS handheld.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

The average software ownership per 3DS surprises me a bit. To buy a dedicated handheld device and have so few games for it seems like such an immense waste, especially when you factor in the reality that many owners have far more than that average, meaning there are many millions of people who bought the device, a game or two, and that was the end of it.

Amazing how much hardware they have sold of the 3DS though.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I'm happy to have contributed to that number this past Xmas. The WiiU gets 100% of the console time in the house now with the top titles being Mario 3D World, Disney Infinity (halloween contest winner!) and Smash Bros.

The 360 just sits there collecting dust.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

I bought a 3DS and regretted the purchase immediately. For one, I got it day one, so I was price gauged and my "recompense" was some shitty GBA/NES games and an ambassador emblem. I would have much prefferred $70.00 in credit to be used however I saw fit.

I bought a couple of games for it, but I don't think I ever actually finished any of them. I just find the whole damned thing to be unconfortable to use for an extended period of time, and when I sit down to play games, I am looking to play for 3 to 4 hours. I really can't be arsed to play something if I will only be able to play it for an hour or two.

The 3DS XL and now the New 3DS XL are far more comfortable, but I really can't justify spending another $180.00 on a system I already own and don't really see any future titles which are much have (sorry Fire Emblem fans).

WiiU gets used from time to time, but like the Wii, it just sits there for 6 months at a time doing nothing, but I don't regret the purchase. I bought the WiiU knowing full well that it was just to be used occasionally, while the 3DS was supposed to be my go-to portable as the Vita gets no real love (and we all knew that going in based on the history of the PSP).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I sold my entire collection of Wave 1 amiibos recently. Completely useless and stupidly conceived. Nintendo's implementation was trash. They're good as statues, not much else. Last straw was the original Villager amiibo NOT WORKING with Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME? Nope, have to buy a brand new set of amiibos and new Villager for that game. On eBay the whole pile of poo went.

I far prefer Disney Infinity, the characters are much more iconic, and they can actually be used nicely in games.

Even my 4 year old agreed to dump the damn amiibos. Wow.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #6
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I thought the point of the Amiibos at this point was more for statues. I don't think they sell like crazy for functionality.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Between my PC and my Wii U, I sold my 360 and I've never looked back this generation. The Wii U has so many games worth playing that no other platform has, and for everything else, there's my PC.

I always get a kick out of people who claim the Wii U is "another gimmicky controller", because I also find the Wii U's innovations to be far less gimmicky and actually more utility/function useful than the Wii. The problem is, those innovations don't really act well as a selling point, and that's the crux of the problem when it comes to dollars. I had no idea how important even the feature of playing off of the TV and on a gamepad when others are using the TV would be to me until I had it. Now I can't imagine parting with that. When you say that to someone, they think "Oh cool....and moving on", because it doesn't sound all that sexy, but when the TV is clogged with other people, getting to play top-notch games (not mobile games) on my downtime is awesome, and I can stay in the same room as them.

Also, the thing that people forget or don't know about is that Nintendo came up with their own proprietary way of streaming the video from the TV to the gamepad, and it's actually quite effective. Impressive technology in it's own right. I have to say, the very best thing about the Wii U for me is that I have a bathroom off of our bedroom, where the Wii U is at. I can play while I take a $*** because of the gamepad! One of the best things to ever happen to me in regards to my video game hobby.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I'm happy to have contributed to that number this past Xmas. The WiiU gets 100% of the console time in the house now with the top titles being Mario 3D World, Disney Infinity (halloween contest winner!) and Smash Bros.

The 360 just sits there collecting dust.
Glad you're enjoying it man. The eShop just released Bayonetta and Corrin(from the coming Fire Emblem: Fates game) last night as fighters for Smash Bros. Cloud Strife and Ryu are also DLC. The roster is insane.

My 4 year old is really getting into that and Super Mario Maker. Pretty rad to play games with my son.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

My Wii U has been getting a ton of play time since Xenoblade came out for it, excellent game really. Before that though there was also Splatoon, and of course Smash and Mario Kart.

Overall it is a really great system and I know my family member plays theirs more than the PS4 they have too, which currently has 1 game purchased (Guilty Gear) and with the release of that on PC now serves no function at all.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
My Wii U has been getting a ton of play time since Xenoblade came out for it, excellent game really. Before that though there was also Splatoon, and of course Smash and Mario Kart.

Overall it is a really great system and I know my family member plays theirs more than the PS4 they have too, which currently has 1 game purchased (Guilty Gear) and with the release of that on PC now serves no function at all.
It's a decent enough system if you enjoy every release. if you don't, you may not have another game to play for, what, eight months? Nintendo's hit percentage is higher than any other developer in existence and they cover a wide variety of games but that's still a risky ownership proposition. Luckily, the system has enough games at this point that a newcomer would get an excellent return should they pick up a unit and five games.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amiibo, nintendo, wii u