sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Anenome
Autarchist

Seems a bit of a mishmash character, giant skeleton that's electric. Like, okay. There had better be giants in this game to explain where you get giant bones like that, or wizards or something.

New for the sake of new isn't good in isolation.

Still, won't stop me from buying this just for the spectacle and challenge.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Kooch
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Seems a bit of a mishmash character, giant skeleton that's electric. Like, okay. There had better be giants in this game to explain where you get giant bones like that, or wizards or something.

New for the sake of new isn't good in isolation.

Still, won't stop me from buying this just for the spectacle and challenge.
Maybe I'm missing something, be the Japanese seem to like monster/character design that just comes out of left field to me.

Ninja Gaiden is a good example. Ghost fish and giant armadillos and shit. It's only us westerners that need the cohesiveness in that regard I feel a alot of the time. But again, it might be just my perspective missing something.
Kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, be the Japanese seem to like monster/character design that just comes out of left field to me.

Ninja Gaiden is a good example. Ghost fish and giant armadillos and shit. It's only us westerners that need the cohesiveness in that regard I feel a alot of the time. But again, it might be just my perspective missing something.
I have noticed that sometimes the Japanese take a theme and bring it to its ultimate expression in amazing fashion. When they get something they can really get it.

But other times it ends up not working at all, a misappropriated theme.

On the other hand, Western game makers are all too occasionally not imaginative enough.

Either way it's better to err on the side of too out-there rather than being too vanilla, because a game-maker is always trying to surprise (and delight) a game player, and you can't do that by serving them what they expect to be served.

There is, in this way, a decent connection between planning how a story confronts a reader with the experience of playing a game.

The best games follow the fiction story's path in this regard.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I am generally amazed people expect cohesiveness or story in general in gaming. Most games do just fine ignoring all of that and are better off because of it.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Kooch
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
I am generally amazed people expect cohesiveness or story in general in gaming. Most games do just fine ignoring all of that and are better off because of it.
The delight, for me, that Anenome is talking about, often comes from playing a game and it not only exceeds my expectations, but the developers do things with the core theme of the game that I didn't expect, but that also just fit so well with the boundaries of its subject matter.

When you can tell a developer took the time and really poured their creativity into a particular setting or character, to not only tell you what the game is about, but make you feel it.

Maybe not the best example, but how the crafting and supplements worked in the last of us. Neither of those things were really necessary. And even though it was very gamey (which I don't might) but what better item to improve Joel's abilities than supplement pills?

Another example that comes to mind for some reason was Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. Starbreeze really went above and beyond what was necessary for the first 2/3 of that game.

Kind of off topic though...sorry sorry. I will play this eventually, as I really loved the souls games and also I dig this setting alot. I'll probably hold off for awhile, because I did find myself getting pretty bored of the Souls formula at the end of Dark Souls 2.
Kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
You're quite incorrect, actually. Most games have implied stories if not explicit ones. When a game has as little as a human-like sprite, that's a story, all sorts of assumptions come with a human character.

Very few games don't have at least implied story.

Even Thomas Was Alone, which uses mere rectangles as characters, makes up for this with a narrator that anthropomorphizes the characters and their individual internal dialogues. In fact the game would probably be just about unplayable without this, because something in the human psyche reaches out for story coherence or some semblance of goal.

Why does Pacman eat things, it could've just been a ball. Why are its enemies ghosts. Even the first ever game, pong, works by analogy to tennis and the human mind fills in the rest.

Nintendo is famous for being plot-light, but their stories are elemental. They pose human beings in situation with desperate goals, saving human lives from kidnappers. Both Mario and Link feature this most righteous and important of stories.

There may not be a whole lot of plot twists beyond that skeleton plot, but that's really all you need.

Stories can and do go well beyond that, and that's a plus. But virtually all games have some story on some level, explicit or implied.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

DS1 had a rich lore; DS2 did not. Knowing this is a direct sequel (story wise) to Demon's Souls I wouldn't expect much lore from it.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
92miata
Evil Dead

Edge Of Tomorrow boss. Day one purchase! I know this because I am watching it on my 3rd monitor as I type this!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Oh I get that there are stories inherent in all games, I am just saying that apart from mild amusement they more often are not something that is long lasting or affects me in some deep meaningful way. When someone asks me later about the story of a game I generally can not recall anything apart from maybe a highlight or two.

I generally seem to derive my joy from the gameplay and presentation, not the story elements that are leaking through or being thrown in my face. Don't get me wrong, there are games that do nail story and affect me. But 98% of the time I would say "whatever".
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloodborne, dark souls, from software, playstation