Last post by Exodus
Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,234 Views

Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I can never go back to spending $30 or $40 on a handheld cart-based game. Screw that noise. Idiotic pricing.
While $30-40 is most likely too much, I think the current mobile price points are unhealthy. They make it so developers have to sell a ton of copies, which means they have to try to appeal to the masses by making games more designed around the psychology of getting the user addicted.

As far as Nintendo is concerned, my main issue (and I realize this is just my personal view), is that they've been focusing on the franchises I don't care about or at least don't care enough about to buy a system.

I want 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, and Wave Race. I don't care for New Super Mario Bros, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, or Star Fox and while they're cool games Pikmin, Super Mario 3D Land (or whatever it's called), and Mario Kart aren't enough to get me to buy a system.

The lack of a 3D Mario has disappointed me. They apparently don't have any idea what makes the Metroid franchise awesome. And it looks like the new Zelda game (which looks fantastic) won't be coming out until about the same time as we're getting their next system which makes it a little anti-climactic.

Here's what would have gotten me interested in the Wii-U (without changing anything about the hardware, even!):

1. Launch with a Mario 64 remake. Same game, but all new more detailed models, environments and textures. I loved Mario 64, but I can't play a game with those outdated graphics for more than a few nostalgic minutes. If you want to get crazy, do a Mario All-Stars 2 and have it include HD remakes of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and both Galaxy games.

2. $20-30 download-only sequels for F-Zero and Wave Race. Because I'm not sure you can make a $50 version of these games anymore, but they're still awesome.

3. A dark, lonely, exploratory Metroid game (2D or 3D, I don't care) that let's Samus remain mysterious and doesn't hold your hand by showing you where to go next. The less dialog the better. She should be alone on an alien planet. No chatty robots, fellow bounty hunters, people telling her what she's allowed to use (WTF?), or statues that tell her where to go next. Maybe give her the ability to pilot her ship in a bigger way than what we had in Metroid Prime 3.

4. A new 3D Mario that has a hub world as cool as the castle in Mario 64. It should be a fun place to explore on its own.

5. At least one new IP that isn't overly cute and focuses on something new and adventurous. Metroid and Zelda are good examples of what Nintendo used to be able to come up with in this regard.

6. And what they're doing with the new Zelda looks spot-on. I can't wait. So that.
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #22
Juan
Evil Dead

Lackluster first party support killed the WiiU. No one buys a Nintendo console for third party stuff.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:31 AM   #23
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post
While $30-40 is most likely too much, I think the current mobile price points are unhealthy. They make it so developers have to sell a ton of copies, which means they have to try to appeal to the masses by making games more designed around the psychology of getting the user addicted.

As far as Nintendo is concerned, my main issue (and I realize this is just my personal view), is that they've been focusing on the franchises I don't care about or at least don't care enough about to buy a system.

I want 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, and Wave Race. I don't care for New Super Mario Bros, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, or Star Fox and while they're cool games Pikmin, Super Mario 3D Land (or whatever it's called), and Mario Kart aren't enough to get me to buy a system.

The lack of a 3D Mario has disappointed me. They apparently don't have any idea what makes the Metroid franchise awesome. And it looks like the new Zelda game (which looks fantastic) won't be coming out until about the same time as we're getting their next system which makes it a little anti-climactic.

Here's what would have gotten me interested in the Wii-U (without changing anything about the hardware, even!):

1. Launch with a Mario 64 remake. Same game, but all new more detailed models, environments and textures. I loved Mario 64, but I can't play a game with those outdated graphics for more than a few nostalgic minutes. If you want to get crazy, do a Mario All-Stars 2 and have it include HD remakes of Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and both Galaxy games.

2. $20-30 download-only sequels for F-Zero and Wave Race. Because I'm not sure you can make a $50 version of these games anymore, but they're still awesome.

3. A dark, lonely, exploratory Metroid game (2D or 3D, I don't care) that let's Samus remain mysterious and doesn't hold your hand by showing you where to go next. The less dialog the better. She should be alone on an alien planet. No chatty robots, fellow bounty hunters, people telling her what she's allowed to use (WTF?), or statues that tell her where to go next. Maybe give her the ability to pilot her ship in a bigger way than what we had in Metroid Prime 3.

4. A new 3D Mario that has a hub world as cool as the castle in Mario 64. It should be a fun place to explore on its own.

5. At least one new IP that isn't overly cute and focuses on something new and adventurous. Metroid and Zelda are good examples of what Nintendo used to be able to come up with in this regard.

6. And what they're doing with the new Zelda looks spot-on. I can't wait. So that.

I couldn't agree more. They have concentrated on the wrong franchises entirely imo. In particular, the lack of a new 3d Mario is an insane omission with, as you say a genuinely interesting hub world.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:45 AM   #24
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Lackluster first party support killed the WiiU. No one buys a Nintendo console for third party stuff.
Not since the GameCube, at least. What made the SNES interesting for me wasn't Mario, I had seen all that on the NES. No, it was "Street Fighter II" (or better yet, SF2T). Had I been in the US, it might have been "Final Fantasy III" (you know, VI). The SNES also had many other stellar games in genres that were popular at the time.

Nowadays, fighting games, JRPGs, arcade racers and platformers are not that popular anymore, so Capcom, Namco and, well, Nintendo have lost some pull with the mass market. Today, you need the most popular FPS and open-world game on your console to bring in the global masses, so without CoD, GTA, Minecraft and Skyrim, the cards are stacked against you.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #25
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Terran mobile is a seperate market with different tastes so that's an apples to oranges comparison.
Well, they're all games (cue the elitists to argue they aren't...yawn). I'd say it's more like an 'oceans of money to rivers of money' comparison, but we could quibble on analogies all day, and there's other stuff to do, right?

In my view, Nintendo is sacrificing far too many potential customers by stubbornly clinging to a proprietary hardware model. If they opened the floodgates by creating a cross-platform Nintendo Channel for the best of the best of their old first-party stuff (and there is a lot of great stuff there) they would print even more money. They're inching toward that with the recent release of their IP for creating mobile games. We'll see if they put more than a toe in there. I doubt it, actually. As much as they seem to take risks, they are paradoxically a very hesitant company in embracing change. Just look at their past resistance to, and friend-codes hoop jumping for, multiplayer. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:43 AM   #26
TafJaf
Dread Lord

Quote:
Well, they're all games (cue the elitists to argue they aren't...yawn). I'd say it's more like an 'oceans of money to rivers of money' comparison, but we could quibble on analogies all day, and there's other stuff to do, right?

In my view, Nintendo is sacrificing far too many potential customers by stubbornly clinging to a proprietary hardware model. If they opened the floodgates by creating a cross-platform Nintendo Channel for the best of the best of their old first-party stuff (and there is a lot of great stuff there) they would print even more money. They're inching toward that with the recent release of their IP for creating mobile games. We'll see if they put more than a toe in there. I doubt it, actually. As much as they seem to take risks, they are paradoxically a very hesitant company in embracing change. Just look at their past resistance to, and friend-codes hoop jumping for, multiplayer. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming online.
Nintendo is a foremost a family company and a hardware company. They are a TOY COMPANY. They are not going to open up their IPs to any other hardware and they know they got a niche market that will always support them. It doesn't matter if they don't get the "prestigious" third-party support, they just simply make games and if a third-party (like Capcom) comes along to with a game or lets them use their IPs in some shape of form (i.e. Characters for Smash), more power for them. No matter how many economist, reviewers, ranters, etc. bitch about Nintendo not opening their IPs up for other platforms, it is not going to happen, Nintendo puts actual R&D to this actual stuff and not just marketing. Unfortunately, like stated earlier, Nintendo admits to dropping the ball on the tablet idea but tech-wise, the tablet controller is not a bad idea, it is just wasn't really cost effective to utilize it a main controller.

Lastly, Nintendo has lasted for so long what they have been doing and didn't go away like the Dodo like Sega in the console market. They simply do not have to win at this console competitions, they just simply need to survive and let the rest play out.
TafJaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #27
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Cellphone games aren't real games.

They are the shit soccer moms play on their facebook invites.
You probably don't spend as much time on the Tokyo subway as Nintendo execs do; you might feel differently about this.

Both Japan and Korea have an entirely different market for cellphone games than we do. They advertise that shit on TV and in the streets, on the sides of buses. Their cell phone games have CGI cutscenes. I've played several cell phone MMOs while living there.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #28
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Nintendo's insistence on making money with each console sale was a killer this generation with such a high price point for what the system is actually capable of producing. The fact that the tablet is basically only used if you want to play off tv was kind of the nail int he coffin. It is irritating to use for normal gaming especially when shoulder buttons are heavily used in a title. Maybe your next platform will be good Nintendo.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #29
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TafJaf View Post
No matter how many economist, reviewers, ranters, etc. bitch about Nintendo not opening their IPs up for other platforms, it is not going to happen
Except that it already has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSJ on 3/17/15
Nintendo Co.’s Mario the plumber is finally getting some modern tools—including the smartphone.

The company dropped its long-standing aversion to mobile gaming, saying Tuesday that it would develop videogames for smartphones based on its classic characters.

In a surprising about-face, Nintendo struck a partnership with DeNA Co., a Japanese game provider, under which the companies will exchange ownership stakes and set up a new mobile game platform.

Nintendo shares closed 28% higher in New York Tuesday.
You can't say they're not doing something when they've started doing it. It's quite surprising that they did that, but now that they have, going further in that direction won't be as surprising. We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
You probably don't spend as much time on the Tokyo subway as Nintendo execs do; you might feel differently about this.

Both Japan and Korea have an entirely different market for cellphone games than we do. They advertise that shit on TV and in the streets, on the sides of buses. Their cell phone games have CGI cutscenes. I've played several cell phone MMOs while living there.
Most of the rest of the world will never own a dedicated console, but they do own a mobile device (three BILLION of them around the globe). It's a market that cannot be ignored, and there are some real gems (along with an ocean of turds, admittedly).
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #30
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kl3r View Post

I couldn't agree more. Every point is spot on for me as well.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #31
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Except that it already has happened.

You can't say they're not doing something when they've started doing it. It's quite surprising that they did that, but now that they have, going further in that direction won't be as surprising. We shall see!

Most of the rest of the world will never own a dedicated console, but they do own a mobile device (three BILLION of them around the globe). It's a market that cannot be ignored, and there are some real gems (along with an ocean of turds, admittedly).
Since phones have different hardware

are very different from each other

companies are more inclined to make games like candy crush that sell

over quality games

enjoy your ocean of turds
Old 06-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #32
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post

Most teens still play their psp/vita/3DS over phones thou.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #33
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
enjoy your ocean of turds
LOL. Don't take it so hard, AP. You've got plenty of turds on your consoles, PC, and handhelds to enjoy.

Quote:
Most teens still play their psp/vita/3DS over phones thou.
LOL. Clearly you are NOT connected to teen culture. They're not screwing around with any of those devices on a daily basis. They're on their PHONES ALL DAY LONG. Facts on teen phone usage.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #34
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Getting closer, but $225 is too high for used hardware.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #35
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
LOL. Don't take it so hard, AP. You've got plenty of turds on your consoles, PC, and handhelds to enjoy.

LOL. Clearly you are NOT connected to teen culture. They're not screwing around with any of those devices on a daily basis. They're on their PHONES ALL DAY LONG. Facts on teen phone usage.
Japan

We were talking about Japan.

Keep up.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #36
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Japan

We were talking about Japan.

Keep up.
LOL. Check the thread topic out. You can talk about Japan all you want. The topic, and my posts, relate to Nintendo and gaming as a whole.

Goalposts...feel free to move them! Just don't make the women play on turf!
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #37
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

They should have started with the name of the console, stupidest name ever. Should have just stuck to Nintendo Revolution then called this on Super Nintendo Revolution.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #38
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
LOL. Check the thread topic out. You can talk about Japan all you want. The topic, and my posts, relate to Nintendo and gaming as a whole.

Goalposts...feel free to move them! Just don't make the women play on turf!
Considering the person I quoted (Skunk) was talking about Japan...

Keep up.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #39
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Considering the person I quoted (Skunk) was talking about Japan...

Keep up.
Your statement ("Most teens still play their psp/vita/3DS over phones thou.") is untrue, whether for Japan or the broader context of the global marketplace.

Japanese teenagers and smartphone addiction.

Quote:
While Sumire acknowledges that she probably uses her iPhone too much, she is far from alone in a country where young people are frequently glued to a screen.

High school girls in Japan spend an average of seven hours a day on their mobile phones, a survey by information security firm Digital Arts revealed this week, with nearly 10 percent of them putting in at least 15 hours. Boys of the same age average just over four hours mobile phone use a day, the research found.
Keep up and learn something.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #40
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
Talk about denial of the pink elephant in the room. #thirdpartygames
This. They got a real steal with Bayonetta 2 exclusive, and couldn't deliver it for 2 years. Has anything else of note been a Wii U exclusive?

And even first party games...there haven't been enough of them. And what has been released have been just an update to familiar franchises...Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Mario games...They were good, but there hasn't been anything drastically new or breathtaking yet.

Zelda may fill that hole, but that remains to be seen.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo, wii u