2,937 Replies, 398,796 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 03:16 PM
4 Replies, 209 Views

Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #41
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I had no idea he was this sick. I'm sad for his family and friends but it's also sad as part of what I love about Nintendo is that young innocent vibe that hearkens back to my childhood and at the same time makes me look forward to playing Nintendo games with my kids. Iwata seemed to embody that attitude and I loved seeing him appear in Nintendo Direct presentations etc.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #42
Azrael
Evil Dead

RIP - Not a big nintendo fan boy but I respect this guys contributions. Industry has lost a legend to early

Curious that Balloon Fight, EarthBound, the Kirby games get listed before Zelda and Mario though
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #43
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
RIP - Not a big nintendo fan boy but I respect this guys contributions. Industry has lost a legend to early

Curious that Balloon Fight, EarthBound, the Kirby games get listed before Zelda and Mario though
He's the original creator of Kirby and Balloon Fight, he also worked on earthbound as a programmer/game creator as part of HAL labs. He wasn't part of EAD (which was the team that makes Zelda and Mario).
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #44
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I had no idea he was this sick. I'm sad for his family and friends but it's also sad as part of what I love about Nintendo is that young innocent vibe that hearkens back to my childhood and at the same time makes me look forward to playing Nintendo games with my kids. Iwata seemed to embody that attitude and I loved seeing him appear in Nintendo Direct presentations etc.
Seems to puts the last couple of years into perspective. I remember when everyone flipped out that Nintendo wasn't going to do a traditional keynote presentation / keynote at E3 and we got "Digital Events" instead. Please understand.

Or perhaps it wasn't at all to accommodate his health, but a sort of End of Life decision so he could bring news and game info more <pushing hand motion> Directly to the fans in his final years.

But, enough gnashing of teeth. Let's get back to trashing Nintendo for their general cluelessness, ineptitude, atrocious hardware and stale franchises. I mean, what a train wreck this years E3 from Nintendo was, right?

<Yes, by the way I am devastated by the loss>
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #45
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
<Yes, by the way I am devastated by the loss>
You hide it well.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #46
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
I imagine that this makes some happy here. In the sense that Nintendo can maybe grow a brain now and throw 8 jigs gddr5, a blu ray, and a 1TB drive into a box and call it a day now, right?
No because despite whatever disagreements some personally may have had with Nintendo's hardware development, it takes a real asshat to not respect or empathize that basically a giant in the industry and a person responsible for influencing our collective childhood has passed.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #47
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
You hide it well.
Some people respond to devastating news with rage, anger or sarcasm, I suppose that's me. But, I also wouldn't put it past just being unable to communicate well.

I thought that was a fitting homage to use a couple of meme relating to him and Nintendo. Particularly, "Please understand" to impart and apologize for terrible news. It's understandable he wouldn't want fans to worry and as such kept that terrible news from us all.

Perhaps it's a coping mechanism. I don't know.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; 07-13-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #48
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
No because despite whatever disagreements some personally may have had with Nintendo's hardware development, it takes a real asshat to not respect or empathize that basically a giant in the industry and a person responsible for influencing our collective childhood has passed.
You mean, there aren't any genuine asshats here at EvAv? I find that hard to believe. Sigh, I suppose I should shut up now as I'm the one disrupting this thread.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #49
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Some people respond to devastating news with rage, anger or sarcasm, I suppose that's me. But, I also wouldn't put it past just being unable to communicate well.

I thought that was a fitting homage to use a couple of meme relating to him and Nintendo. Particularly, "Please understand" to impart and apologize for terrible news. It's understandable he wouldn't want fans to worry and as such kept that terrible news from us all.

Perhaps it's a coping mechanism. I don't know.
Same here on the rage/coping with this. I woke up today feeling not really better about it, and that's mostly because the truth is, I'm not a companies guy. I don' t care about brands. Value is value - or lack there of - to me. I work hard for what I have. I can't afford to be in love with companies or brands. The only exceptions, perhaps ever for me, is the company I currently work for and Nintendo. And a big reason for that was Iwata.

Part of me wanted to rage out, especially for the giant shit everyone has been taking on Nintendo lately for not giving them the DLC and chapterized laden graphics driven interactive stories that are 90% of the games today, and then in a moment saying "Oh, the man who contributed so much to the company I troll every week will be missed"...but then I quickly felt like it was just too far off the subject of Iwata himself.

What a bummer. But in reality... us fans have it lucky. We got to and can continue to admire his work. Think about how devastated his friends, family, and colleagues must be. That's the truly important/hard part.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 07-13-2015 at 01:23 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #50
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #51
92miata
Evil Dead

Oh no.....
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #52
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

All-Star Cast.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 07-13-2015 at 12:42 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #53
92miata
Evil Dead

His Family is what I mean.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #54
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I suppose I should shut up now as I'm the one disrupting this thread.
Finally figured that out, did you? Good.

Sad news all around. Very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #55
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You mean, there aren't any genuine asshats here at EvAv? I find that hard to believe. Sigh, I suppose I should shut up now as I'm the one disrupting this thread.
I think I've been one of the loudest dissenters on where Nintendo currently is. And honestly it's sad to see anyone that young pass, especially to something terrible as cancer is. Where Nintendo ends up after his passing is of little concern. The man worked hard for years in an industry he obviously cared about and his loss is terrible.

RIP Mr Iwata.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #56
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 07-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #57
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #58
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I can't stop laughing.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #59
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Page is offline; perhaps they killed it? How embarrassing for them...just terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #60
Rommel
International Playboy

I did not react to Polygon yesterday because I did not want to rant in light of the news of Iwata's passing. I wanted to allow a day to pass to allow some time for due decorum for the passing of one of this industry's pivotal figures. Rest in Peace, Mr. Iwata. Thank you for keeping fun in the heart of your company and through it, our art.

Time's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Page is offline; perhaps they killed it? How embarrassing for them...just terrible.
The embarrassing part is not the wording, though some might say it was tactless and rude. The embarrassing part is not the conceivably racial overtones that all Asians look alike, despite this originating at the bastion of insipid thought policing for our medium. The embarrassing part?
An employee of a video game website doesn't know what Satoru Iwata looks like?
An employee of a video game website doesn't recognize Shigeru Miyamoto?
Imagine TMZ mistaking Cate Blanchett for Jennifer Lawrence. They're both white actresses. Or Chris Pratt for Jeremy Renner, two superhero actors. Perhaps a voice over by Morgan Freeman being attributed to James Earl Jones, "The black guy who does great in speaking roles." Picture, if you will, a Monet hanging on the wall of a museum. The plaque beneath it reads: "Vincent Van Gogh, 1974." Roger Ebert's favorite film: "Citizen Kane," Orsen Wells' masterpiece in which disgraced energy mogul C. Montgomery Burns pines away for his lost teddy bear, Bobo.

Polygon claims to be experts in this industry? Polygon purports to have the requisite standing for its opinion to mean a damn. Polygon are a load of suit-backed hipster carpetbaggers who should be ashamed of themselves for daring to crack the plastic on a DVD case, let along offer opinion. Liars and charlatans, they disgust me and they should disgust you, my dutiful readers that did not realize I purposely misspelled Orson Welles.

Last edited by Rommel; 07-13-2015 at 11:38 PM..
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iwata, nintendo, satoru iwata, wii u