1,576 Replies, 173,617 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Primus
Yesterday 08:29 PM
5 Replies, 456 Views

Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #21
Syl
Evil Dead

Good thing that Wii U attach rate is so ridiculously high that they keep making profit.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #22
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
What incentive does an adult who has the money to spend on new game systems, who got tired of Nintendo's games 20 years ago have to buy a Nintendo console? Follow along Anenome. We weren't talking about children at all.
Among my circle of friends, Smash is one of the most popular games. My best friend and I play it to the exclusion of nearly all else, since our Smash rivalry goes back to high school.

You can't play Smash anywhere else, so there's that.

Plus there's always at least some great games on Ninty consoles even for adults.

Ninty has sometimes had rough game droughts, but what they got right was usually very worth it.

If you didn't own most Nintendo consoles growing up, you were pretty unusual.

Let me think here. The Wii-U might actually be the first Nintendo console gen that I haven't owned. Yep. I've had them all save that one.

And frankly, I'm going to have to get one for that open world Zelda game, that's a system seller.

How can you say adult gamers aren't interested in Ninty offerings? Metroid and Zelda are adult mainstays, Mario too, and always will be.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 AM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Among my circle of friends, Smash is one of the most popular games. My best friend and I play it to the exclusion of nearly all else, since our Smash rivalry goes back to high school.

You can't play Smash anywhere else, so there's that.

Plus there's always at least some great games on Ninty consoles even for adults.

Ninty has sometimes had rough game droughts, but what they got right was usually very worth it.

If you didn't own most Nintendo consoles growing up, you were pretty unusual.

Let me think here. The Wii-U might actually be the first Nintendo console gen that I haven't owned. Yep. I've had them all save that one.

And frankly, I'm going to have to get one for that open world Zelda game, that's a system seller.

How can you say adult gamers aren't interested in Ninty offerings? Metroid and Zelda are adult mainstays, Mario too, and always will be.
You have a reading comprehension issue, I've owned Nintendo consoles in the past. Have zero desire to play mario kart, or smash or anything like that. The folks I game with are older, we play simulation games or tactical team based shooters/rts. None of us with jobs, families etc have the desire or even time to play stuff like Smash bros at all. That was great in 1993 when we were still young. Today, not so much.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 AM   #24
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Well, MS hasn't had a good fucking idea in 20 years
Now that's a silly comment.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:41 AM   #25
gillman
Evil Dead

DS cart playing add on, akin to the GBA player. Take my money.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:08 AM   #26
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
You have a reading comprehension issue, I've owned Nintendo consoles in the past. Have zero desire to play mario kart, or smash or anything like that. The folks I game with are older, we play simulation games or tactical team based shooters/rts. None of us with jobs, families etc have the desire or even time to play stuff like Smash bros at all. That was great in 1993 when we were still young. Today, not so much
I don't agree with Spectral much but on this we see eye to eye. Nintendo has nothing I want to play. Nothing my kids want to play. Now that the Playstation and Xbone are just modestly powered PC's and all the games eventually come to PC, we've dropped totally out of the console market. We used to own all the current consoles. Now we don't own any.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I don't agree with Spectral much but on this we see eye to eye. Nintendo has nothing I want to play. Nothing my kids want to play. Now that the Playstation and Xbone are just modestly powered PC's and all the games eventually come to PC, we've dropped totally out of the console market. We used to own all the current consoles. Now we don't own any.
To be fair if I had kids that might be different, but if I'm going to sit down and use my precious free time to play a game, it's not going to be smash brothers. It'll be MWO or Fallout 4 or something like that.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #28
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
You have a reading comprehension issue, I've owned Nintendo consoles in the past. Have zero desire to play mario kart, or smash or anything like that. The folks I game with are older, we play simulation games or tactical team based shooters/rts. None of us with jobs, families etc have the desire or even time to play stuff like Smash bros at all. That was great in 1993 when we were still young. Today, not so much.
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

-C.S. Lewis

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #29
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Hey Pat buddy

can you get me a job @ Nintendo?
Well. You certainly could have, only I used up all my employee good faith when Nintendo caught me banging the Nintendo Treehouse Ladies.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
Old 08-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #30
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Well, MS hasn't had a good fucking idea in the last 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
Now that's a silly comment.
No It's not. Unless you count riding on the coattails of everyone else's good ideas. And that goes doubly so for their time in the console video game space.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #31
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

-C.S. Lewis
Spectral could have said "we only play fun games" and I'd agree with him too. It's not a question of adult or not. They don't make games I enjoy anymore. I used to read comic books. Now, I consider them to be a waste of time. It's the same thing. Tastes change.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #32
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Spectral could have said "we only play fun games" and I'd agree with him too. It's not a question of adult or not. They don't make games I enjoy anymore. I used to read comic books. Now, I consider them to be a waste of time. It's the same thing. Tastes change.
He could have said "only play fun games" but then he'd probably have a Wii U. AAA titles seem like more of the same. I lived without a Nintendo for 8 years, and only played Xbox 360 and PC. I got tired of the AAA titles. They all started to feel like the same shit I'd been playing since I started the 8 year cycle.

Nintendo's games, if they're anything, are fun. I mean..not for everyone. There are actually people who think Half-Life 2 is a bad game, too. Heh. hehe.

Can you tell me how its not an "age" thing, but your tastes have evolved so much that Splatoon isn't fun anymore? Because...I can think of games with much more retarded and simpler mechanics that are doing incredibly well right now. See Rocket League. That's actually the exact kind of MP fun Nintendo excels at. How bout that.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is exactly it, If I still found those titles fun, I'd play them. I don't. Not that there's anything wrong with having different tastes in games.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #34
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
He could have said "only play fun games" but then he'd probably have a Wii U. AAA titles seem like more of the same. I lived without a Nintendo for 8 years, and only played Xbox 360 and PC. I got tired of the AAA titles. They all started to feel like the same shit I'd been playing since I started the 8 year cycle.

Nintendo's games, if they're anything, are fun. I mean..not for everyone. There are actually people who think Half-Life 2 is a bad game, too. Heh. hehe.

Can you tell me how its not an "age" thing, but your tastes have evolved so much that Splatoon isn't fun anymore? Because...I can think of games with much more retarded and simpler mechanics that are doing incredibly well right now. See Rocket League. That's actually the exact kind of MP fun Nintendo excels at. How bout that.
It's not an age thing persay, it's a taste thing, some people rather play games that have a more serious theme or scenarios, or more mature themes. Sorry jumping on Goombas just doesn't do it for me like it did 20 years ago.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #35
Syl
Evil Dead

Oddly enough, jumping on goombas does more for me than shooting a guy in the face with a gun.

The second one has become so easy its absolutely reflexive, see guy, point thing at guy face, hit guy in face, move on. At least jumping on a goomba has some tactile feedback.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #36
Syl
Evil Dead

I can go through a game and kill a couple hundred guys with headshots and not have nearly as much fun as jumping on a single goomba and then using the extra bounce to make a platform I couldn't reach otherwise.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #37
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
I can go through a game and kill a couple hundred guys with headshots and not have nearly as much fun as jumping on a single goomba and then using the extra bounce to make a platform I couldn't reach otherwise.
Which is fine, I played enough platformers in the 80's and early 90's that I never want to do it again. Having different game preferences is alright.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #38
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Which is fine, I played enough platformers in the 80's and early 90's that I never want to do it again. Having different game preferences is alright.
Then why do you keep shitting on people with different taste in games? I love nintendo games, so I buy nintendo games. I don't like sports games so I don't buy sports games, I don't go out of my way in a topic about Sports Games to tell people that I don't buy sports games.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #39
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl View Post
Then why do you keep shitting on people with different taste in games? I love nintendo games, so I buy nintendo games. I don't like sports games so I don't buy sports games, I don't go out of my way in a topic about Sports Games to tell people that I don't buy sports games.
Why bother posting at all? Different people have different opinions, that's the point of forums, to have discussion. I'm not PSP, I don't tell people they're wrong for liking something I don't, you might want to ask him that question.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #40
brandonjclark
Subscriber

The last console I bought was a 360. I'm not qualified to really have an opinion on this.

But that won't stop me. The Wii U would've been more successful named the Wii 2, and whoever didn't see that should be fed a steady diet of bugs. Nintendo could've done more marketing as well. I rarely if ever see a Nintendo ad for anything.

Also, I think the next console (NX) will be pretty much more of the same, because Nintendo truly believes that it's not hardware but gameplay that sells.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's a complete story. Hardware allows better visuals, and we are some shallow mofos today. How many games do you blow off because it's an idie top-top down or sidescroller?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo, wii u