Fallout 76's Solution To...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 09:55 PM
17 Replies, 1,544 Views

Old 11-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Wii U to end production on November 4th #Nintendo WiiU

Eurogamer is reporting that Nintendo is planning to end production of the Wii U this Friday.

Quote:
The final Wii U will roll off Nintendo's production line this week

Nintendo will end Wii U production this Friday, multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

At the last official count, as of 30th September, Nintendo had shipped 13.36m Wii U consoles. The Wii U's final tally will likely now be only slightly more.

For comparisons sake, GameCube sold 21m. N64 sold 32m. Wii sold 101m.

Nintendo's Japanese production line will shut down for the last time this week after the final deadline for orders passed yesterday, Eurogamer understands. Only a small number of further orders were placed.

Wii U launched back in November 2012 and quickly shifted a couple of million units, although sales have been steady to slow ever since.

The last year or so has seen Nintendo, behind the scenes at least, shift its focus to the future. The company's upcoming Nintendo Switch console is still four months away from launch.

We've contacted Nintendo for comment.
eurogamer.net
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

My 5 and 8 year old play our WiiU all the time. The 360 collects dust.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
My 5 and 8 year old play our WiiU all the time. The 360 collects dust.
Same here. It's why I sold my 360. Underrated console. More utility features and a better overall console than the Wii, imo. And the games for a system that stuttered out of the gate and never really had momentum sales wise, delivered a very solid lineup of quality exclusives.

Bummer that some of those really good Wii U titles didn't get played by very many people, but hopefully they take all of the good ones and get them on the Nintendo Switch.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I absolutely love Mario 3D World and Splatoon. JUST great games. I hope to pick up Xenogears, too.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

Good system, if you can live without dudebro games.

I play mine more than any other system. I will be picking one up to horde away here soon. They will be $$$ when MJR and others do their top 10 WiiU games in 10 years.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Good system, if you can live without dudebro games.

I play mine more than any other system. I will be picking one up to horde away here soon. They will be $$$ when MJR and others do their top 10 WiiU games in 10 years.
Hopefully they will dip in price early next year when the Switch is announced properly. I want to get one, but not at the current price.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 AM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

Yes there were many problems with the Wii U. There was some confusion about the machine being different from its predecessor but far less than the embarrassed executives would have you believe as they blamed the marketing department. It was underpowered and the public did know that fact. It even had a useless, price-raising feature in a touchscreen that was very rarely utilized even in the home-grown efforts. But all of these are icing, the cake was the library.

The WiiU library of exclusives is actually excellent, I will be the first to admit that. Unfortunately, not every Nintendo game appeals to every Nintendo fan. I, for instance, hate Mario Kart. So no one person is going to buy every first party game, leaving what is already a short list (One every four months or something ridiculous) of available titles even smaller. But said person may want the odd third party title and, if the WiiU is the only console owned, you're really out of luck.

Finally, while the number of rarely released games that do not include third party titles is bad--the biggest problem is the absolute quality. While the overall quality is high, as I said, the system never received an instant classic. Software as a group doesn't move systems, singular software as a must-have does. The Wii U has no killer app, no Lotus, nothing to begrudgingly force even the most frugal fuck into the stores to buy a machine for one title.

And for that reason, the library of games, here we are.
Quote:
*Not in context
Old 11-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Yes there were many problems with the Wii U. There was some confusion about the machine being different from its predecessor but far less than the embarrassed executives would have you believe as they blamed the marketing department. It was underpowered and the public did know that fact. It even had a useless, price-raising feature in a touchscreen that was very rarely utilized even in the home-grown efforts. But all of these are icing, the cake was the library.

The WiiU library of exclusives is actually excellent, I will be the first to admit that. Unfortunately, not every Nintendo game appeals to every Nintendo fan. I, for instance, hate Mario Kart. So no one person is going to buy every first party game, leaving what is already a short list (One every four months or something ridiculous) of available titles even smaller. But said person may want the odd third party title and, if the WiiU is the only console owned, you're really out of luck.

Finally, while the number of rarely released games that do not include third party titles is bad--the biggest problem is the absolute quality. While the overall quality is high, as I said, the system never received an instant classic. Software as a group doesn't move systems, singular software as a must-have does. The Wii U has no killer app, no Lotus, nothing to begrudgingly force even the most frugal fuck into the stores to buy a machine for one title.

And for that reason, the library of games, here we are.
Can't really argue too much with what you're saying. I think a Metroid or a really big time Zelda (like they've got in the works now) would have helped it early. The great exclusives were there. 20 or so exclusives that really stand out. Some of them 2nd and 3rd party such as Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The touchscreen was under-used. You could see it's value in games like Zombi-U, and if it was used right even for inventory and map management it improved the experience overall. It needed to be used more and in more inventive ways overall. But the real bonus of the touch screen was playing off of the TV for me. Playing all of the eShop games off of the TV even. I could relax at the end of the day, sit up in bed, and play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance like it was a portable, right in front of me, without squinting at the TV 12 feet away.

But that's a tough thing to market. I didn't know I would care about that functionality until I had the ability to do so. So before I bought the Wii U, no marketing in the world would have really conveyed to me any message that would have explained why off-screen play mattered. It was only until I saw it in function in my house.

It never collected dust, anyway. It supplemented my PC gaming very well. I spent a few thousand hours in total in Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 3, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 2, LEGO City Undercover (open world Lego game), Hyrule Warriors, Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, NES Remix Pack, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Zelda Wind Waker HD, ZombiU, and more.

It needed the big time game as you said Rommell, that got argued into game of the generation discussions. Something like a top quality Metroid Prime, or hell, even a full blown, well done Animal Crossing, and unfortunately it's greatest features were almost unmarketable. It just didn't make it.

The good news for those who skipped the Wii U, wanting something more powerful with better 3rd party support (understandable, won't knock you), if the Nintendo Switch takes off, they'll most likely bring the best games from the Wii U generation over. I know some people are "Meh" on the new open world Zelda, but only the most cynical can look at the current footage and not think that it looks pretty awesome. That should be a good one to launch the Switch with. If the Switch does take off, Nintendo had BETTER stop pussy footing around with their IPs and slam down a full blown Metroid, Animal Crossing, and more to supplement that new Zelda.

They did some good things with the Wii U, had some good games, some better features than the Wii (I will take off screen play over motion controls ANY day of the week) but in hindsight it feels like a stepping stone to the Switch. They'd better deliver with the games on this new thing (the only thing that really matters) or they could be looking at 2 generations of failure. I'd rather see them making games than producing McDonalds toys, personally. It's gut check time for them, they need to make some great games on the Switch.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I absolutely love Mario 3D World and Splatoon. JUST great games. I hope to pick up Xenogears, too.
Xenoblade Chronicles X man, it's an incredibly good game. It's just about as hardcore as a JRPG can get in the way of mechanics. Very complex, but very rewarding. The world is massive and immersive as $#%#, and they did an incredible job making the world feel alive rather than barren and empty, and giving reasons to explore. That was the game of the console for me. 300 hours and I still didn't do everything I want to yet. Combat looks confusing in the videos, it's not. It's very strategic, and it never gets old because of the strategy involved. It almost has a rhythm to it. It blows the original xenoblade chronicles combat out of the water.

When I think about how little the Wii U was played by the masses, the game that I feel most bad about people missing out on is Xenoblade Chronicles X. That shit is just the shit. Shit.

My fanboy is showing, but I can't help but babble about this game. No other game on the Wii U really got me like XCX. If anyone has a chance to pick up one game at all and play it for the Wii U, my recommendation is XCX, hands down. And especially if you fancy yourself a "hardcore gamer". Good luck - this game is a handful.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Meeks
Evil Dead

If I can find one on the cheap, I may still consider picking up a Wii U. I got to try one recently and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
If I can find one on the cheap, I may still consider picking up a Wii U. I got to try one recently and was pleasantly surprised.
It's already being emulated
Quote:
*Not in context

Last edited by Rommel; 11-02-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Nearly everyone I know, which isn't obviously a huge sample, owns a Wii. Not one person owns a Wii U... There simply wasn't any need to own one and there wasn't any 'oh you have that, cool, let's instantly run out out to the store as Jayne has one!' while not actually really knowing why they're buying it.

If people give Nintendo a break, once the kids get on-board, this could, once again, provide Nintendo with another slam dunk success.

Times have, however, changed. The internet can he harsh.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Nintendo has denied the claim that they're ending production of the Wii U at this time.

Quote:
"There is no change to our continuing [Wii U] production," the spokesperson said, as translated by Kotaku, stating that they were not aware of the specifics of the original report. That said, the person explained that reports about Wii U production coming to a close are "not true."
While it's an inevitability, they're not ending production quite yet.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
The WiiU library of exclusives is actually excellent, I will be the first to admit that. Unfortunately, not every Nintendo game appeals to every Nintendo fan. I, for instance, hate Mario Kart.
This is why the Switch will be such a boon, I think. Once the development of handheld and console are aligned, gamers will have more choice.

Kirby is the game that I can't stand and would be happy to never see again. It's brain dead.

I feel like, though, that they have tiers of platforms and Kirby is their entry level, Mario is their mid-tier and Donkey Kong is their advanced level platformer.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
This is why the Switch will be such a boon, I think. Once the development of handheld and console are aligned, gamers will have more choice.
Unfortunately, they aren't aligning their console and handheld markets and the Switch does not run Android or act as a phone. It's really just a console that you can carry and be told to turn off on certain awful airlines. And yet I highly feel this is the market to which they are going to be compared and that's bad for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Nintendo has denied the claim that they're ending production of the Wii U at this time.
Quote:
*Not in context
Old 11-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Unfortunately, they aren't aligning their console and handheld markets.[/IMG]
Yeah they are. Even just yesterday I was reading an interview with Miyamoto from several years ago where he was basically predicting the Switch and talking about how they are going to unify their handheld and console markets.

This is bolstered by the reorganization they underwent last year.

I know they said they are going to continue 3DS development, but I fully believe that's just what they are saying in order to continue to sell 3DSs and reassure 3rd parties who are in the process of making 3DS games currently.

If Nintendo wasn't unifying their development, there's no point to any of this.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #18
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
there's no point to any of this.
Did you ever consider for a moment that there might, in fact, be no point to this?
Quote:
*Not in context
Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #19
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
If Nintendo wasn't unifying their development, there's no point to any of this.
DS has been around for a good while, since 2004 in fact, 3DS since 2011.

Install base is large and will continue to be profitable. But development will peter, if only because companies love working on the latest and greatest.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Did you ever consider for a moment that there might, in fact, be no point to this?
I don't believe that Nintendo is an organization comprised of categorically stupid people, so yes I thought about it. But I camp on the side that says they have SOME strategy about all of this. Whether it works or not is yet to be determined. But they didn't unify their handheld and console systems with no intention of unifying their development. That makes no sense and goes against the comments they've been making for the past few years.

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch, wii u